IGNORED

Will we sign a new centre forward by 7th August or

Roadrunner

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Have a feeling we will start the season with what we currently have.

This for me. Nige has already alluded to the fact that he is happy with what we currently have. Im very glad we have re signed Weimann and he is back firing on all cylinders - that is as good as a new signing IMO.

4 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Will we get on loan a u20/21 international like Tammy?

It’s quite sad how Tammy hasn’t progressed in his career in the way many thought he would when he left us after that amazing loan spell - I was fully expecting him to challenge Marcus Rashford for an England spot - ‘twas not to be but I reckon at the right club he can thrive again, apparently the new-ish Chelsea gaffer doesn’t rate him - so he could reappear at a club like West Ham, Brighton, Palace, Villa, Newcastle or Everton I reckon ...

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Have a feeling we will start the season with what we currently have.

I agree. Given we need to move players out to get someone in and also given how the market for strikers tends to unlock more at the tail end of the window, I reckon it will be closer to the end of August before someone comes in, if anyone does at all. 

Sadly I don't think we will. I still cannot understand how we cannot afford to sign one when we have spent so little and have a billionaire owner. When I think of all the money wasted on Johnson's signings and how little  NP has had it seems even crazier. Obviously covid has had a massive effect but still disappointed SL could not stretch to funding a striker signing.

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It’s quite sad how Tammy hasn’t progressed in his career in the way many thought he would when he left us after that amazing loan spell - I was fully expecting him to challenge Marcus Rashford for an England spot - ‘twas not to be but I reckon at the right club he can thrive again, apparently the new-ish Chelsea gaffer doesn’t rate him - so he could reappear at a club like West Ham, Brighton, Palace, Villa, Newcastle or Everton I reckon ...

He's an out and out finisher - get the ball in the back of the net no matter how it goes in.

Sadly his all round game isn't good enough to be a top 4 regular striker.

6 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Sadly I don't think we will. I still cannot understand how we cannot afford to sign one when we have spent so little and have a billionaire owner. When I think of all the money wasted on Johnson's signings and how little  NP has had it seems even crazier. Obviously covid has had a massive effect but still disappointed SL could not stretch to funding a striker signing.

All due to FFP. You cannot spend beyond your means.

16 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

I think you answer your own Q in your 3rd sentence.  LJ and MA overspent, created a lasting legacy of a stupidly high cost base for the revenues/ income….and as a double whammy, Covid has hit.  It’s not SL that can’t stretch it’s FFP.  If we were a side who’d just missed out on playoffs and needed one push to incrementally improve the team, I think SL could gamble knowing he could sell next Jan / Summer if it went tits up.  But we are starting from a position of trying to re-consolidate and there is no gamble worth taking.

So it’s sell to buy, and even then I don’t think we will be pushing the boat out too much.

It's a season of consolidation.

A new striker, if reasonably successful, may push us from 13th to 11th, but we're certainly not going to challenge for the play offs either way.

With Weimann re-signing, and promising youngsters like Conway, a new striker is likely to be part of the next stage of the rebuild, if thought necessary at that stage.

Personally want to see  Conway getting games, rather than a new striker, which is always a gamble anyway.

2 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

?? the club have lost millions over the last 18 months & we have ffp to think of . Never mind signing a striker for probably a few million & wages that come with it. The reality is , football at our level is in the shit financially . 

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

?? the club have lost millions over the last 18 months & we have ffp to think of . Never mind signing a striker for probably a few million & wages that come with it. The reality is , football at our level is in the shit financially . 

Not to mention the possibility/probability of further Covid restrictions on attendances to come if some scientists are to be believed......

The game is literally "broke" and it is interesting to go back 6-12 months and see the people in denial about that who genuinely thought that Owners would return to "normal" and just start lobbing their cash around again. Same with attendances.......large reductions incoming.

Like some have said, I expect we'll stick with what we have and make do.

What we basically NEED is an upgrade to Fammy. He scored what, 10 last term (when he could be arsed to show up), and maybe 15 the year before. Every team needs that target man. Yes it's great to have Weimann back, but he's not going to get us 20 goals I don't think. I like Conway too, but pretty untested. Will he get 20?

Yet again I don't expect us to finish high on the scoring charts this season. Do we need a new striker, yeh I really do think so. But, for reasons already stated, I don't think there's many about that are realistic for us right now.

19 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What you mean winning the champions league and a few England caps, that lack of progress?

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

What you mean winning the champions league and a few England caps, that lack of progress?

To be fair BS4 has a valid point..........Tammy has become a bit part player,   although you are quite right about Engerland caps and CHAMP league.   But I among many others felt he would become an established international and Premier League fixture in a top side?  But it just hasn't happened for Tammy,   i still feel that if he can sign for the right club/manager he can still become a top player, and maybe even get back in the Engerland squad.   He's a top bloke, and I wish him well.       

9 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I thought the price for the bloke we were supposed to be interested in was a million. And I thought the reduction of the squad and the fact that we have only signed one player for a fee might mean we could spend an amount on a striker. 

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

I said he hasn’t progressed in the way many thought he would ... I stand by that and in that champions league final, Chelsea had 11 players on the pitch and 12 players on the bench - Tammy wasn’t among those 23 players ...

39 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

I thought the price for the bloke we were supposed to be interested in was a million. And I thought the reduction of the squad and the fact that we have only signed one player for a fee might mean we could spend an amount on a striker. 

You’re basing everything you’ve wrote on rumour regarding the striker. We spent £1.6m (allegedly) on Atkinson . Even if the striker did cost £1m + wages you have to figure in ffp  . Every club now has to be financially prudent . The bubble has burst 

37 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Why?

Last summer we brought in 5 players, 1 (Williams) cost us a fee.

This summer Nige said he wanted 5 players, so far we’ve signed 4, 1 (Atkinson) cost a fee.

See a pattern?

Archived