IGNORED

Bristol City v Pompey

Red Army 75

The results of these preseason games are meaningless but what Nige and his coaches are looking for is how individuals perform and how various shapes might work.

They're training matches but against different opponents rather than internal games against each other.

We were much better after the first drinks break around 25 mins in.  We actually built through the midfield and that made a difference.

Pluses and Minuses in the 90 for me were:

O’Leary - poor kicking (again)

Baker - don’t think he had a particularly good game, and didn’t cover Atkinson enough when he had to help Nurse.

Nurse - found it a difficult afternoon versus Harness

Vyner - never got going, sloppy first time ball back to Moore which he shanked

Palmer - really energetic, ball didn’t run for him first half, but stuck at it and made things tick.

James - contributes at both ends of the pitch, and very good from set-pieces (threatening)

Janneh - came on and did some good things down the left 

a fair few average performances or bits of good and bad.

A bit disappointing overall, but not about results.  We will see whether we are making progress on Saturday v MKD.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We were much better after the first drinks break around 25 mins in.  We actually built through the midfield and that made a difference.

Baker - don’t think he had a particularly good game, and didn’t cover Atkinson enough when he had to help Nurse.

Palmer - really energetic, ball didn’t run for him first half, but stuck at it and made things tick.

James - contributes at both ends of the pitch, and very good from set-pieces (threatening)

A bit disappointing overall, but not about results.  We will see whether we are making progress on Saturday v MKD.

What was your thoughts on chris Martin Dave , I thought he tried hard but for me he was poor.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The most encouraging aspects for me were 90 energetic minutes from Palmer - he’s definitely improved his fitness - and James pulling the strings from midfield, including hid dead ball work.

19 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

What was your thoughts on chris Martin Dave , I thought he tried hard but for me he was poor.

I thought he had a poor opening 45 mins, better second half.  Let’s not forget he’s had a very long time out, and trying to find his touch whilst going through a gruelling pre-season.  Weimann a bit the same….but he’s not lost his energy at all….incredible stamina.  Very good finish too.

11 minutes ago, Lordofthebling said:

We are looking worryingly reliable on Nakhi...

I don’t see that as an issue.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I thought he had a poor opening 45 mins, better second half.  Let’s not forget he’s had a very long time out, and trying to find his touch whilst going through a gruelling pre-season.  Weimann a bit the same….but he’s not lost his energy at all….incredible stamina.  Very good finish too.

I don’t see that as an issue.

Fair comment about the amount of time he’s been out , you could see he was getting frustrated with himself when he miss controlled or played a poor pass .

10 minutes ago, Joe hicks said:

People stressing out on a pre season training game. Remember Tinnion's pre season results? Means very little to how the season will start. 

Although I completely agree its definitely not a key indicator of how the season will pan out but it did show plenty of issues which are a continuation of last season. Not enough players showing for the ball, too slow up top, finding it difficult to play out of our half and hoofing the ball in urgency and not winning the second ball. All things that against better opposition when the season gets going will need to be stamped out or we will see alot of play in our half and chasing shadows most of the time. That being said Matty James has shown his class and goes someway in us being a threat on set pieces and his switch of play.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Son of a former Bristol City hooligan who named him after some bloke he battered.

Had Me A Gass'an 

Declared the victor in some local derby handbags, and the name stuck... until his poorly educated mate was asked to write it down and the rest is history.

No offence...............but i think you should get your coat?

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I quite like Janneh but not sure how he's more of a footballer than Semenyo? Semenyo has a great touch and can dribble with the ball often drifting past a couple of players.

Semenyo learnt how to play when he was 18 and it shows. The game comes naturally to Janneh as if he's been doing it all his life.

Both are good athletes, both need to improve but Janneh is superior where it matters - between the ears. 

3 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

I'm his mum and you have no idea what you are talking about.

2 hours ago, Glen hump said:

Bull shit 

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Bit weird, why would his Mum join a Bristol City fans forum 3 years before he joined the club?

All together now: Moore was born under a Wanderingred.

3 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

My Mr's likes him...

Fantasy son in law material she says!!?

I can sympathise with that a bit tbh.

As said, terrific lad, endearing smile, but also well spoken, ALWAYS happy, and good well paid career (OK, probably in L1, but still not bad) lined up.

Back to the south of France perhaps after he retires to gleefully do a bit of coaching and cheerfully tend to his pool, and no doubt they'd live happily ever after. 

Mum & Dad in law regularly invited over for extended stays to help look after the the completely untroublesome and blissfully happy grandchildren - yep I think your wife has a point!

3 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

How many result in goals though? Taylor Moore seems to make big mistakes that end up with us conceding.

Plenty. Off the top of my head, Rotherham and Birmingham last season and I can recall at least two other games but forget the opponents. He’s guilty of ball watching far too often and is too soft for this level IMO.

Both Vyner and Moore need to improve fast if they’re to carve a career out at this level or above, and I don’t actually think there’s too much between them. It’s just one is a scapegoat, the other’s a local lad who’s cut some slack. I’d get rid of them both if we could. 

3 minutes ago, tin said:

Plenty. Off the top of my head, Rotherham and Birmingham last season and I can recall at least two other games but forget the opponents. He’s guilty of ball watching far too often and is too soft for this level IMO.

Both Vyner and Moore need to improve fast if they’re to carve a career out at this level or above, and I don’t actually think there’s too much between them. It just one is a scapegoat, the other’s a local lad who’s cut some slack. I’d get rid of them both if we could. 

He isnt good enough for the championship and we need to move him on,

Vyner is a better defender and decent 4th choice but Moore just hasn't developed,

As you say he keeps making costly mistakes and they seem to be the same mistakes as well,

17 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I can sympathise with that a bit tbh.

As said, terrific lad, endearing smile, but also well spoken, ALWAYS happy, and good well paid career (OK, probably in L1, but still not bad) lined up.

Back to the south of France perhaps after he retires to gleefully do a bit of coaching and cheerfully tend to his pool, and no doubt they'd live happily ever after. 

Mum & Dad in law regularly invited over for extended stays to help look after the the completely untroublesome and blissfully happy grandchildren - yep I think your wife has a point!

Ha! I agree. I really want him to succeed as he does come across particularly well!

8 minutes ago, tin said:

Both Vyner and Moore need to improve fast if they’re to carve a career out at this level or above, and I don’t actually think there’s too much between them. It just one is a scapegoat, the other’s a local lad who’s cut some slack. I’d get rid of them both if we could. 

Sadly, I tend to agree.

If Pearson is successful here, by which I mean improve on Lee Johnson and get to the playoffs as a minimum, I don't expect either player to be a first choice, if they're still here.

Both are good lads but, for me, too soft, too passive. 

Where we're trying to go under Pearson requires players made of the right stuff mentally, just as much as physically.

1 hour ago, tin said:

Both Vyner and Moore need to improve fast if they’re to carve a career out at this level or above, and I don’t actually think there’s too much between them. It’s just one is a scapegoat, the other’s a local lad who’s cut some slack. I’d get rid of them both if we could. 

Completely agree said exactly the same after the game both were poor today and looked uncomfortable. 

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Kasey saying post match that he hasn't felt fit in 3 years until now.

I said it months ago and I'll keep saying it, I'm convinced KP is going to have a real breakthrough season this year and prove a lot of people wrong! Pearson has shown he was a big fan of KP starting him in pretty much every game he was fit for since he came in. 

The two things KP needed imo was a proper preseason like this one to get fully fit and a manager to play him consistently in a system that suits him. Looks like he's hopefully done the first now for NP to hopefully provide the second.....

The Dave Rennie signing and being overlooked for the Gold Cup with Jamaica could be the making of Kasey!

Archived