IGNORED

Bristol City v Pompey

Red Army 75

12 minutes ago, mightyreds89 said:

Completely agree said exactly the same after the game both were poor today and looked uncomfortable. 

It’s not just today they’ve both looked poor, against a depleted opponent from the league below, though is it?

At a guess, I reckon both of them cost us at least 10 goals against last year. Neither of them are youngsters any more, either. They’re both 24 now and seemingly not kicking on.

6 hours ago, JonDolman said:

People praise Palmer's through passes but it drives me mad how many bad ones he does. 

What about his amazing sliding tackles though?!!

6 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Kasey's work rate going onto new levels

He looked the fittest player on the pitch today. 

Interesting to hear Wells say how creative Palmer is but that we don't see enough of that from him. 

Meanwhile Wells said Moore hasn't been given enough of a chance yet.

55 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

I said it months ago and I'll keep saying it, I'm convinced KP is going to have a real breakthrough season this year and prove a lot of people wrong! Pearson has shown he was a big fan of KP starting him in pretty much every game he was fit for since he came in. 

The two things KP needed imo was a proper preseason like this one to get fully fit and a manager to play him consistently in a system that suits him. Looks like he's hopefully done the first now for NP to hopefully provide the second.....

The Dave Rennie signing and being overlooked for the Gold Cup with Jamaica could be the making of Kasey!

TBF- LJ said after KP’s initial loan he wanted to sign him IF he could have a full pre season with him. 
In LJ’s defence, that never happened. 

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Sadly, I tend to agree.

If Pearson is successful here, by which I mean improve on Lee Johnson and get to the playoffs as a minimum, I don't expect either player to be a first choice, if they're still here.

Both are good lads but, for me, too soft, too passive. 

Where we're trying to go under Pearson requires players made of the right stuff mentally, just as much as physically.

Agree re Taylor Moore but can’t recall Vyner playing many (if any) games at RB last season & so I think it is far to give him a run in the position before saying that.

I actually thought he was one of our better performers last season at CB & so am not giving up on him just yet.

1 hour ago, WirralRobin said:

I said it months ago and I'll keep saying it, I'm convinced KP is going to have a real breakthrough season this year and prove a lot of people wrong! Pearson has shown he was a big fan of KP starting him in pretty much every game he was fit for since he came in. 

The two things KP needed imo was a proper preseason like this one to get fully fit and a manager to play him consistently in a system that suits him. Looks like he's hopefully done the first now for NP to hopefully provide the second.....

The Dave Rennie signing and being overlooked for the Gold Cup with Jamaica could be the making of Kasey!

I think Palmer does need pushing though. He’s a professional footballer, he should always be fit. Perhaps in the past LJ and Holden didn’t push KP enough and he got a little comfortable. 

I don’t think Nige does ‘comfortable’. 

Perhaps I buck the trend, but like TM, seems some like to scapegoat him and would not change their mind even when he has a good game or only raise his errors when others have been just as bad or worse. Also many of the poor games have been when playing on the left side which is not his natural position.

Not sure if he is going to be good enough, but love his attitude and if anyone can improve him or qualified to make a decision on him its NP.

13 hours ago, tin said:

Plenty. Off the top of my head, Rotherham and Birmingham last season and I can recall at least two other games but forget the opponents. He’s guilty of ball watching far too often and is too soft for this level IMO.

Both Vyner and Moore need to improve fast if they’re to carve a career out at this level or above, and I don’t actually think there’s too much between them. It’s just one is a scapegoat, the other’s a local lad who’s cut some slack. I’d get rid of them both if we could. 

I think the bit about being 'too soft/too nice' is actually a really big issue.

Can remember when Kelly started breaking through LJ said he was too nice and had assigned Mccallister to teach him  'the dark arts' of defending. Suddenly Kelly becomes a different animal with a new level of grit to him. 

I really think we need to find a way to bring this out of Vyner and Moore, think part of the issue is making mistakes and then not having the awareness/confidence to recover from that. But if you've found a way to 'ruffle' the striker/winger beforehand potentially they are also less likely to capitalise on any mistakes made.

30 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

I think the bit about being 'too soft/too nice' is actually a really big issue.

Can remember when Kelly started breaking through LJ said he was too nice and had assigned Mccallister to teach him  'the dark arts' of defending. Suddenly Kelly becomes a different animal with a new level of grit to him. 

I really think we need to find a way to bring this out of Vyner and Moore, think part of the issue is making mistakes and then not having the awareness/confidence to recover from that. But if you've found a way to 'ruffle' the striker/winger beforehand potentially they are also less likely to capitalise on any mistakes made.

Good point about Kelly. He developed that bit of dog in him, as I like to call it. But also for the sake of comparison, Kelly came into the side at the age of 17; Vyner and Moore are both 24 now and have 185 and 139 professional games behind them, respectively. They should already have that nous IMO.

Big seasons ahead for both of them. I'd like them both to succeed as I like their attitudes, but I don't think they have long-term futures here if we want to be competing at the higher end of this league. If anyone's going to improve them, it should be NP. 

Palmers comments about being the fittest he has been in 3 years is down to respect for his manager, and wanting to impress, because he feels believed in.

Pearson clearly has that sort of respect for Nahki Wells too and it appears mutual.

We all know Nige did not have a great end to last season and should rightfully start to be judged now, however, in football, especially with big ego’s and characters, you either command respect or earn it. Thats the difference we have started to make in appointing Pearson.

Too many fans dwell on the mistakes and ignore the positives of a player. Some fans also have a particular player who they do not like for many reasons so will pick out and highlight the mistakes to prove their point. Yet they ignore mistakes by their favorites.

Two examples yesterday.

O'Leary miscued some clearances. Plenty of mentions in posts.

Bentley kicked his first clearance directly into touch. I haven't seen any mention.

All players make mistakes. It is how the player them self reacts that determines how serious the problem is.

On another subject, Palmer showed more improvement again. But I wish he would control his sliding tackles, especially early in matches. Against Celtic he took one out, who was unable to keep going to halftime. And did a similar thing to Pompey defender. 

No cards issued in training games but do it in a league match and we could be down to ten for over an hour.

27 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Palmers comments about being the fittest he has been in 3 years is down to respect for his manager, and wanting to impress, because he feels believed in.

Pearson clearly has that sort of respect for Nahki Wells too and it appears mutual.

We all know Nige did not have a great end to last season and should rightfully start to be judged now, however, in football, especially with big ego’s and characters, you either command respect or earn it. Thats the difference we have started to make in appointing Pearson.

I also think footballers need a degree of stability and we were anything but stable last season. It was miraculous we never got relegated to be honest. However, we are in a position now where the Manager is permanent and the players know it and also the players now consist of those that he has chosen to retain or brought in himself. The lazy bastards who preferred hiding in the HPC building rather than training or milking their injuries for all they were worth, the likes of Watkins, have been well and truly ****** out of it and that makes a huge difference in the dynamic of the squad, to the work ethic and also the general mood around the place.

It seems the players have bought into the Big Nige mantra of "put the work in now and you'll all benefit for the next 9 months". Palmer certainly seems to be feeling that way right now. I really get the impression that Pearson will be a great manager to play for as a player..........as long as you tow the line and do things his way.

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Perhaps I buck the trend, but like TM, seems some like to scapegoat him and would not change their mind even when he has a good game or only raise his errors when others have been just as bad or worse. Also many of the poor games have been when playing on the left side which is not his natural position.

Not sure if he is going to be good enough, but love his attitude and if anyone can improve him or qualified to make a decision on him its NP.

I thought TM had a decent game yesterday.  There were two mistakes yesterday where I reckon a lot of fans will have jumped on his back, which weren’t his error.

1) where he calmly dribbled out of a tight spot, passed to Bakinson, who’s touch was awful, gifting it straight to their CM

2) a pass to Vyner who shanked it first time back to him, but went straight to their striker

Not suggesting he’s perfect.  Needs to be more physical aerially, but he helped us pass the ball into the midfield yesterday, which gave us greater control second half.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought TM had a decent game yesterday.  There were two mistakes yesterday where I reckon a lot of fans will have jumped on his back, which weren’t his error.

1) where he calmly dribbled out of a tight spot, passed to Bakinson, who’s touch was awful, gifting it straight to their CM

2) a pass to Vyner who shanked it first time back to him, but went straight to their striker

Not suggesting he’s perfect.  Needs to be more physical aerially, but he helped us pass the ball into the midfield yesterday, which gave us greater control second half.

Hey Dave how do I get to see the goals. I have tried many options but not been succesfull

Archived