IGNORED

Tokyo Olympics

Lrrr

Why not dominoes which has a clear winner rather than pseudo sports like free style skateboarding. Personally I'd kick out all sports where marks are awarded to determine the outcome. I always feel that some contestants are given high marks based on past reputations or their nations standing rather than the days performance. 

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

He is my man crush! ☺️ 

Seriously though, as someone who potters up and down a 25m pool 3 times a week, I am in awe of all the swimmers, but he is exceptional. That time today means he has the 16 fastest times in 100m breast stroke history, let that sink in............... 16 times he has swum faster than any of his rivals, unbeaten for 7 years, it's incredible how dominant he is. 

My favourite athletic stat along the same lines is;

Of the 50 fastest men's 100m sprint times ever, only 15 have been run by an athlete NOT banned for drugs or subject to allegations of missed / failed drugs tests.

All 15 were by Usain Bolt.

11 minutes ago, grifty said:

My favourite athletic stat along the same lines is;

Of the 50 fastest men's 100m sprint times ever, only 15 have been run by an athlete NOT banned for drugs or subject to allegations of missed / failed drugs tests.

All 15 were by Usain Bolt.

It'll all come out one day

Not taking anything away from Bolt as I think it's still a fairly level playing field, I imagine it's rife at the top level of all sports. Same with Lance Armstrong, he was doping, but I'm sure he wasn't beating 100% clean athletes.

There's even PEDs in e-sports these days ? lots of top level gamers were taking adderall

Not caught any of the olympics so far, hoping to catch some of the weighlifting this week, been following Sarah Davies for a while. Took silver at the commenwealth games 3 years ago in her category

3 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Why not dominoes which has a clear winner rather than pseudo sports like free style skateboarding. Personally I'd kick out all sports where marks are awarded to determine the outcome. I always feel that some contestants are given high marks based on past reputations or their nations standing rather than the days performance. 

I have often thought this, but it does rule out a lot of sports and to be fair, with technological advances, the marking seems a lot more representative of the actual performances, in things like boxing, Taekwondo, etc. The only place I still have some doubts is Gymnastics, but the more you watch it the more you can see what separates the truly great performers from the merely very good.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Not taking anything away from Bolt as I think it's still a fairly level playing field, I imagine it's rife at the top level of all sports. Same with Lance Armstrong, he was doping, but I'm sure he wasn't beating 100% clean athletes.

There's even PEDs in e-sports these days ? lots of top level gamers were taking adderall

Not caught any of the olympics so far, hoping to catch some of the weighlifting this week, been following Sarah Davies for a while. Took silver at the commenwealth games 3 years ago in her category

Bolt is a freak of nature, if you look at his build and what he was capable of, it's hard to imagine any drugs that would have enhanced his performance.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I have often thought this, but it does rule out a lot of sports and to be fair, with technological advances, the marking seems a lot more representative of the actual performances, in things like boxing, Taekwondo, etc. The only place I still have some doubts is Gymnastics, but the more you watch it the more you can see what separates the truly great performers from the merely very good.

Boxing and the martial art sports can stay for me as they are primarily determined by hits than marks, although the appeal of taekwondo, a crab like sport (always going sideways) eludes me. It's those totally determined by marks, such as Gymnastics, that I dislike most. It's not that I don't admire the dedication and skill of the athletes. I can admire the strength to hold one's body weight on rings and pommel etc but while there may be some artistry in female exercises a guy in tights or shorts prancing around on the floor just isn't right. 

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Bolt is a freak of nature, if you look at his build and what he was capable of, it's hard to imagine any drugs that would have enhanced his performance.

Personally I’m sceptical that’s all. He’s THAT much quicker than anyone around him in history, people who are also genetic outliers and the best of the best (and been popped)

Who knows, take nothing away he’s still the best of the best. It’s like the dark arts of football, it’s part of the game and if they’re all doing it then you’re still the best

2 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Boxing and the martial art sports can stay for me as they are primarily determined by hits than marks, although the appeal of taekwondo, a crab like sport (always going sideways) eludes me. It's those totally determined by marks, such as Gymnastics, that I dislike most. It's not that I don't admire the dedication and skill of the athletes. I can admire the strength to hold one's body weight on rings and pommel etc but while there may be some artistry in female exercises a guy in tights or shorts prancing around on the floor just isn't right. 

What on earth are you on about?

3 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Why "isn't it right"? 

How are you all watching it?   All I've seen so far is the awful highlights show on the BBC in the evening.    There's way too much chat and not nearly enough action.   Even the reliably inoffensive Clare Balding looks awkward.

Seems a real shame you have to pay to watch the Olympics live.  They call this progress, I guess.

2 minutes ago, Daniro said:

How are you all watching it?   All I've seen so far is the awful highlights show on the BBC in the evening.    There's way too much chat and not nearly enough action.   Even the reliably inoffensive Clare Balding looks awkward.

Seems a real shame you have to pay to watch the Olympics live.  They call this progress, I guess.

There is plenty of live Olympics on the BBC, but for obvious reasons, the majority of this is in the early hours. The only change is that they are no longer able to show more than two sports live simultaneously, which means no unlimited streams on the iPlayer like in previous Olympics.

3 minutes ago, Daniro said:

I paid £7 to get Discovery+ for a month, however I can watch any sport at any time with the on demand stuff online, they're also doing hour long highlights end of each day/next morning. 

5 minutes ago, Daniro said:

Plenty on the Eurosport channels.

17 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

And what do you think of the football mate. 

10 hours ago, Daniro said:

Don't mind Alex Scott but why have they got two presenters for the highlight show. Seems weird as does the lack (none) of straight white bloke contributors to the programme. Loving the Olympics though, some proper emotional moments with Daley winning gold for example.

On 26/07/2021 at 15:57, MarcusX said:

Had Sarah hit the PB attempt she went for after her successful lifts she'd have took home a medal. Fine margins in weightlifting, joint 4th, 3kg from a medal.

9 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Don't mind Alex Scott but why have they got two presenters for the highlight show. Seems weird as does the lack (none) of straight white bloke contributors to the programme. Loving the Olympics though, some proper emotional moments with Daley winning gold for example.

On 26/07/2021 at 18:03, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Boxing and the martial art sports can stay for me as they are primarily determined by hits than marks, although the appeal of taekwondo, a crab like sport (always going sideways) eludes me. It's those totally determined by marks, such as Gymnastics, that I dislike most. It's not that I don't admire the dedication and skill of the athletes. I can admire the strength to hold one's body weight on rings and pommel etc but while there may be some artistry in female exercises a guy in tights or shorts prancing around on the floor just isn't right

Some strange comments here ?‍♂️

17 minutes ago, Nathandao said:

Disappointed to see Team GB miss out on a medal in the Rugby 7s. I was mates with Ben Harris at school and was using it as a claim to fame ?

On the plus side you have to love Fiji and what it means to them. 

12 hours ago, The Bard said:

It says bucketloads about the shit local media that no one has cottoned onto the fact that a pupil from St Katherines school in Pill just won a bronze medal in the gymnastics.

.. my old school doing the business, also shout out for the Academy at Portishead who'd continued to produce Olympians.

Of course the Bristol Post has nothing but story on Semi Ramandra getting a medal in the Rugby 7s...

The Olympics competitors have changed over the years, now when they win a medal they aren't really happy, they collapse in floods of tears. They don't train very hard anymore, they go on a journey, they don't compete for any financial or intellectual benefit, they do so to give the new generation the insperation to do the same thing .

14 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Seems weird as does the lack (none) of straight white bloke contributors to the programme.

What a bizarre observation ... Dan Walker being the epitome!

I've also seen Chris Hoy, Mark Foster, Chris Boardman, another guy about diving (don't know his name), sure I've heard Matthew Pinsent as well and fully expect Steve Cram to be trotted out later among others. Don't know (or care) about anyone's sexualities though.

36 minutes ago, DevonGeneral said:

What a bizarre observation ... Dan Walker being the epitome!

I've also seen Chris Hoy, Mark Foster, Chris Boardman, another guy about diving (don't know his name), sure I've heard Matthew Pinsent as well and fully expect Steve Cram to be trotted out later among others. Don't know (or care) about anyone's sexualities though.

Mark Foster? Not that it matters but I thought he came out?

Archived