IGNORED

Tokyo Olympics

Lrrr

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

She didnt manage a single lift.  Maybe the hysterical people will go back in their box for the time being.  There will be a lot who will be gutted she didnt win simply because they cannot rage now 

I didnt have commentary on but didn't understand why the 2nd lift didnt count I thought she made it?

125 was a brave choice rather than going for a "safe" lift. TBH no one is troubling the chinese lady for Gold

5 minutes ago, TomF said:

Waiting for Piers to start picking on a 13 year old..

Wouldn't put it past him to be honest, vile human being.

Amazing how different athletes see their sports, the old Olympic ideal of "taking part" sticks for some but just hearing Ben Whittaker the boxer saying "you don't win silver, you lose gold" shows that others have other ideals.

38 minutes ago, Super said:

Crikey so many of our Athletics team injured. KJT out now.

Saw her getting treatment on her Achilles yesterday and thought she wouldn't stay the course. The athletics side seem to have had more trouble peaking late due to lockdown than the other sports.

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Wouldn't put it past him to be honest, vile human being.

Amazing how different athletes see their sports, the old Olympic ideal of "taking part" sticks for some but just hearing Ben Whittaker the boxer saying "you don't win silver, you lose gold" shows that others have other ideals.

Depends on what stage of life / career you are at I suppose, for boxers in the UK they generally only compete at one (maybe two) Olymis before turning pro whereas for a 13-year old skateboarder presumably they have another 3 or 4 oppurtunities at it so a bronze or silver medal is still a massive achievement that young.

7 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Depends on what stage of life / career you are at I suppose, for boxers in the UK they generally only compete at one (maybe two) Olymis before turning pro whereas for a 13-year old skateboarder presumably they have another 3 or 4 oppurtunities at it so a bronze or silver medal is still a massive achievement that young.

True, it might also be the sport, losing in a straight fight can be harder than losing to someone in a race maybe? 

17 hours ago, Northern Red said:

The average age in the skateboarding final this morning was 17 which suggests it's very much a younger persons sport, in terms of the top level competition at least.

Actually listened to TS on way home last night and Gough and Kelly Sotherton were saying that 13 is too young an age to compete in the Olympics.

18 hours ago, Northern Red said:

The average age in the skateboarding final this morning was 17 which suggests it's very much a younger persons sport, in terms of the top level competition at least.

I don't know much about skateboarding, but I saw on people suggesting that the older (20+) skateboarders wouldn't be allowed to compete at the Olympics due to their love of weed.

Matt Walls won the Omnium gold today, he actually made it look easy doing some great work early on and then cruising around for the last few laps.

With a name like that if he doesn't have a contract with one of the paint companies soon, he needs a new agent! :)

10 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Holly Bradshaw has won GBs first ever medal in the Pole Vault, a bronze.

Interviewed afterwards she said "This is what I've worked for my whole career. I've had so many ups and downs".......

At least she didnt say she had slid down many poles

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Holly Bradshaw has won GBs first ever medal in the Pole Vault, a bronze.

Interviewed afterwards she said "This is what I've worked for my whole career. I've had so many ups and downs".......

"Only" bronze?Piers won't be impressed!

On 04/08/2021 at 13:50, Dolman_Stand said:

I'd say it depends on the sport/event. In something like boxing where it's 1 v 1 "winning" silver is losing in a final and particularly when it's 1 v 1 in a sport like that it's easy to feel like you failed.

Then compare to say the weightlifting. Realistically no one was getting anywhere near Li Wenwen's lifts. Emily Campbell set a British & Commonwealth C&J record to take silver so how can you not be happy with that?

A lot of the events are about doing the best you can do, rather than actually beating someone so in those I'd say success is determined by how well you perform against your expectations.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

I'd say it depends on the sport/event. In something like boxing where it's 1 v 1 "winning" silver is losing in a final and particularly when it's 1 v 1 in a sport like that it's easy to feel like you failed.

Then compare to say the weightlifting. Realistically no one was getting anywhere near Li Wenwen's lifts. Emily Campbell set a British & Commonwealth C&J record to take silver so how can you not be happy with that?

A lot of the events are about doing the best you can do, rather than actually beating someone so in those I'd say success is determined by how well you perform against your expectations.

That was my thought's as well Marcus, it's also worth noting that Ben was interviewed the following day after having time to reflect and was far more positive about his achievements. Maybe one of those incidents where sticking a microphone in front of someone as they have just finished competing, is not the best idea? I do understand the idea of 1st is 1st and all that, but if you write off your Silver Medal, you are risking demeaning those who have achieved medals in the circumstances you describe. 

Archived