IGNORED

Who gets the armband?

Agard Days Night

It’s fair to say Kalas didn’t set the world alight as captain, albeit in a season when nobody did. Maybe he would be better playing without the added pressure. 

Does he keep the captaincy for this season or would you like to see it go to somebody else?

CM9 has lead the team out in preseason, is he the man to take it on full time? Or is there another natural leader in the squad ready to take on the responsibility?

Interested to hear some thoughts on this.

Must admit I assumed it would be James but Martin has had it even with him available.

Maybe Pearson wanted to speak to Kalas first?

I still think it will be James but I’m not so certain after seeing Martin get it so far.

Bentley, James and King were the names that came to mind other than those you mentioned.

Just hope we've got the characters in there to really drive the team forward. Too often I looked at it last season and didn't feel there was anyone in the side really setting standards and driving competition. 

Nige has spoken about culture a lot so hopefully this is starting to seep into the culture as this will be the biggest factor. 

I never tend to like forwards being captains - I like the captain to be able to see the game in front of them. Typically, I prefer a centre back/centre mid as captain as long as mentality is right. It also has to be someone who would play most games.

For those reasons, I’d rule Martin out. I’d say Kalas should continue.

But I’d also say the mentality of leading should apply to all players. Too often last year players hid and the leadership came from people like Han-Noah.

4 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

If it's taken from Kalas I would imagine he will be leaving, I hope he stays personally and keeps the armband. Others may feel he isn't vocal enough but the likes of James doesn't need to be captain to use his voice.

Yeah, i kinda think that kalas will take offence if the captaincy is removed?

Take it off Kalas, rate him as a player but doesn't appear to be a leader. We lacked organisation at the back the whole of last season, if the captain can't organise them there's a problem. Kalas regularly lost his man at set pieces and stood and watched them nod the ball home, he did the same on international duty too. Give it to someone else and let him focus solely on defending.

The names that immediately come to mind are Bentley and James. Perhaps Weimann too?  I think (and slightly hope) that Martin won't start enough games to really be the on-field captain this season. On Kalas, it's worth remembering that the captaincy was an incredibly challenging assignment last season - plausible that anyone would have have looked a poor leader/communicator with that group.

Weimann might not be the worst shout in the world, James another and the best of the lot but probably not playing enough games would be Andy King.........

Captaincy is not for GK's in my view and I'd prefer to see Kalas give us a season long exhibition of how to play Centre Half properly with no other distractions.

No brainier for me. James.

I always like the captain to be in midfield - good position to boss the team. James knows what Nige wants both in terms of effort and tactics. Seems to have a good temperament.

I think Kalas is better using a 100% focus on his own game. We saw the benefits of that for him in the Euro’s where he was immense. I thought his performances were diminished last Season when made Captain. 

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again I genuinely believe the armband weighed heavy on Kalas last season and i feel his performances reflected that. I think it would do him the world of good to have the pressure taken off him to be honest.
I’d like to see it given to Bentley - been here a few seasons now player of the year last season and someone who leads by example.

Has to be Matty James, with Bentley as vice.

I think Kalas took a lot of what happened last year personally and it came out of him in negative ways.

He is clearly a proud man with a great pedigree at Championship level and has performed admirably at International level.

He knows this deep down and being appointed captain of Dean Holdens Bristol City is probably a low and embarrassing point of his career in hindsight. This overspilled in declining desperate performances and his media outings towards the end of the season.

Hopefully Nige strikes a bond with him, Kalas buys into it and has nothing to worry about other than blocking it, heading it, and kicking it away.

42 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Bentley, serioulsy loud and can see everything that is going on in front of him

No way, worst position on the pitch to be Captaining the side from and, trust me, at this club with the minority "shit for brains" fanbase we have the first bad goal he lets in and you can imagine the reaction right now...............well, going by the complete over-reactions we see during and after pre-season friendlies anyway.

Goalkeepers are very rarely made Captain for a reason.

3 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

If it's taken from Kalas I would imagine he will be leaving, I hope he stays personally and keeps the armband. Others may feel he isn't vocal enough but the likes of James doesn't need to be captain to use his voice.

That’s assuming he still wants to be captain of course and how it’s managed 

I'm not convinced Kalas is anywhere near as sulky and petulant as this thread seems to be making him out to be. If someone else is captain, and Pearson communicates the reasons for that decision to him in a fair, timely and supportive manner, I'm sure he'll be able to get past it and focus on his role for the team. 

6 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'm not convinced Kalas is anywhere near as sulky and petulant as this thread seems to be making him out to be. If someone else is captain, and Pearson communicates the reasons for that decision to him in a fair, timely and supportive manner, I'm sure he'll be able to get past it and focus on his role for the team. 

I think Gregor asked him about captain, and Nige said “do you think I’m gonna discuss that with you”.

I don't believe the playing position of the Captain matters only that he's inspirational by word, deed or both. There are plenty of examples from across football of keepers, defenders, midfielders and strikers doing the job with success. The last world cup final saw a keeper and midfielder captain their countries, whereas the Euro final saw, a defender and striker lead their respective teams. Martin looks to be NPs choice at the moment but then Kalas isn't back so we don't know if he will retain the armband. We do know that, according to Kasey, Martin was loud directing him as to where he should be. Of course outside of the two we don't know who'd want it. Would James accept if offered? King I think would jump at it but will he play enough, time will tell. 

3 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

I doubt he will leave because someone else is appointed. Suspect he will be relieved.

Main candidates are Matty James as team captain and Andy King or Chris Martin as club captain.

10 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I doubt he will leave because someone else is appointed. Suspect he will be relieved.

Main candidates are Matty James as team captain and Andy King or Chris Martin as club captain.

I was thinking of it more from the other way that we would only be changing captain if Kalas is off anyway rather than the toys coming out the pram on his part.

That being said if it was taken off him I can't imagine it would be a bit of a dent to the ego.

What was patently obvious last season was the fact that after Christmas there was little leadership on the pitch. 

IMHO I think it is great that we will have so many leaders available to us. Bentley, Simpson and Kalas (defence) James, King and Williams (midfield), Weimann and Martin (forwards). I really don’t care who gets the armband. What I care about are leaders in all areas on the pitch and in the dressing room.

3 hours ago, bris red said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again I genuinely believe the armband weighed heavy on Kalas last season and i feel his performances reflected that. I think it would do him the world of good to have the pressure taken off him to be honest.
I’d like to see it given to Bentley - been here a few seasons now player of the year last season and someone who leads by example.

I’m probably in a minority but I don’t think the role of captain is that important in a football team - it’s not like cricket where the skipper is constantly making vitally important decisions all day for seven hours at a time.

Wasn’t it Souness who said the Liverpool team he played in had eleven captains on the pitch? Leaders in key positions all over the pitch at the same time is what counts I think - in that Liverpool team of which Souness spoke, you only knew which geezer was captain when you saw him call heads or tails at the start of the game and then saw him get his mitts on each trophy first ...

47 minutes ago, HappyClapper said:

What was patently obvious last season was the fact that after Christmas there was little leadership on the pitch. 

IMHO I think it is great that we will have so many leaders available to us. Bentley, Simpson and Kalas (defence) James, King and Williams (midfield), Weimann and Martin (forwards). I really don’t care who gets the armband. What I care about are leaders in all areas on the pitch and in the dressing room.

Most would agree. Personally I think the team will be picked around James and to some extent Weimann. 

Bentley, Kalas, Nagy among a couple of others may well be the subject of enquirers/offers so I guess we will have to wait and see. 

Archived