IGNORED

Who gets the armband?

Agard Days Night

I'd prefer Kalas to concentrate on being a very decent CB if I'm being honest, and not have the extra responsibility of captaincy weighing on his broad shoulders!

I'm confident that if NP does decide to change the captain, he will do it in a way that will not embarrass or anger Kalas.

However, should Kalas throw his toys out of the pram, which I wouldn't expect him to do, he can leave if the right offer comes in for him.

COYR.

4 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Is it Italy who give the Captains armband to the player with the most caps?  I quite like that, purely based on appearances for the club, although the admin would be a ballache!

Who has the most professional appearances in our squad? Andy King, Chris Martin, Danny Simpson? Without checking I'm thinking one of those 3.

COYR.

It should not matter at pro level - there should be plenty of leaders and people standing up.

If you take ??????? I think Kane is captain for what he does and his talisman status but does little talking other than the odd clapping good play and a bit of encouragement to others.

I think the reason Pickford and Maguire are always seen as “arguing” is because they are actually captaining the defence between them and trying to be heard over crowd noise etc.

I think Henderson is often brought on for his leading the midfield as much as his general play so we have 3 or 4 captains on the pitch at international level at times.

I think Martin as Captain and Kalas as vice will be sensible approach and keep everybody happy as the likes of James and King will lead and talk with or without an armband.

Just now, Agard Days Night said:

IMHO the reason is more likely that Kalas is no longer the captain. 

I agree. Gregor asked NP after the game. NP could have cleared it up by confirming Kalas would continue, but he didn’t. 

19 hours ago, SBB said:

I agree. Gregor asked NP after the game. NP could have cleared it up by confirming Kalas would continue, but he didn’t. 

Well, he effectively told GMG to mind his own business;

Dan Bentley was captain today, but Chris Martin was the other day. Is that a permanent fixture or will you look to rotate it aroud other senior players?

You'll have to wait and see on that.

49 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Well, he effectively told GMG to mind his own business;

Dan Bentley was captain today, but Chris Martin was the other day. Is that a permanent fixture or will you look to rotate it aroud other senior players?

You'll have to wait and see on that.

Find it a strange Q.

1. we’ve seen two different captains, do permanent seems the wrong term

2. he’s never gonna announce it there and then 

21 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Find it a strange Q.

1. we’ve seen two different captains, do permanent seems the wrong term

2. he’s never gonna announce it there and then 

Perhaps just like playing with tactics and formations in pre season, Pearson is trying different people in taking the armband to see who reacts better, and to see how the rest of the team react to each player "leading".

I'd expect an announcement about 4 days or so leading up to the first game of the season.

On 21/07/2021 at 09:53, Silvio Dante said:

I never tend to like forwards being captains - I like the captain to be able to see the game in front of them.

Do you think forwards stay facing forwards when the ball is back in the other direction?

9 minutes ago, TBW said:

Do you think forwards stay facing forwards when the ball is back in the other direction?

Well done. You win daftest comment of the day award.

Basics of football - it’s always the man coming onto the balls shout. If there’s a goal kick and the centre half is calling for it, the midfielder should cede. If it’s the keeper shouting, the defender cedes. 

Basics of football 2 - forwards are expected to make forward runs in the expectation of receiving the ball, as opposed to receiving the ball before running. That does mean that forwards do play with the ball behind them, not facing up, on occasions (So the answer to your question is “sometimes”).

So, the majority of captains are typically centre halves or centre mids. Why? They have the game in front of them and can communicate with most other members of the team easily (not like keepers with forwards and vice versa).

Don’t believe me?

17 of 20 named PL captains last year were midfielders or defenders. 14 of those were CM or CB.

Only one player has captained a PL winning side who wasn’t a midfielder or defender (Cantona). Gary Neville was the only other one who didn’t play centrally.

But, you carry on.

8 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Well done. You win daftest comment of the day award.

Basics of football - it’s always the man coming onto the balls shout. If there’s a goal kick and the centre half is calling for it, the midfielder should cede. If it’s the keeper shouting, the defender cedes. 

Basics of football 2 - forwards are expected to make forward runs in the expectation of receiving the ball, as opposed to receiving the ball before running. That does mean that forwards do play with the ball behind them, not facing up, on occasions (So the answer to your question is “sometimes”).

So, the majority of captains are typically centre halves or centre mids. Why? They have the game in front of them and can communicate with most other members of the team easily (not like keepers with forwards and vice versa).

Don’t believe me?

17 of 20 named PL captains last year were midfielders or defenders. 14 of those were CM or CB.

Only one player has captained a PL winning side who wasn’t a midfielder or defender (Cantona). Gary Neville was the only other one who didn’t play centrally.

But, you carry on.

Of course Defenders and Midfielders made up the majority. Most teams play with one goalkeeper and one striker so that leaves nine other players. The odds are always going to side that way.

You took my comment a bit seriously though Petal. I'm just saying, you've made the point that a defender can "see the game" from the back... well, when the ball is down that end of the pitch, a striker is looking back in that direction himself so I'm pretty sure he can see the game from his position too. I'm talking about when the player in question isn't in direct possession of the ball so they'll be watching the game no matter where they are on the pitch.

It's nice that you decide the "daftest comment" award though, I'll be sure to reach out to your evident superiority in future, oh great football Deity.

Don't think it really matters these days; leaders will be leaders with or without an armband. I don't normally like new signings being given captaincy either, but that said, I can see why it would make sense to have James as captain.

Archived