IGNORED

Steve Cooper quitting Swansea

Selred

2 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Less of his face on TV works for me. I'm no model, but good God that is the ugliest mug in football. I wouldn't usually judge a person on appearance but he was Swansea so fair game.

Quite liked listening to him talk but he is a munter!

I would say I really hope this happens.

But the fact is, their record of managerial appointments is the polar opposite of ours - i.e. consistently excellent, so Cooper leaving will probably not make a blind bit of difference. 

For some reason, his old man is always refereeing if I'm ever re-running a home game from the mid-80s in my mind's eye. Good old short-arse Keith from Pontypridd, Tuesday nights at the Gate just wouldn't have been the same without him.

No indeed, they'd have been much, much better.      

16 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

But the fact is, their record of managerial appointments is the polar opposite of ours - i.e. consistently excellent, so Cooper leaving will probably not make a blind bit of difference. 

For some reason, his old man is always refereeing if I'm ever re-running a home game from the mid-80s in my mind's eye. Good old short-arse Keith from Pontypridd, Tuesday nights at the Gate just wouldn't have been the same without him.

I think a bit like it always seemingly being sunny when you were young, it is easy to think this of other clubs.

In general they do make better appointments than us but Bob Bradley, Guidolin, Carvahal & Clement were all pretty crap ones by them & were in their last 7 or 8.

The more general point is, like many in a time of Covid, the money has simply run out & Cooper’s ability to borrow the likes of Guelhi, Woodman, Brewster etc might not be replicated by his successor.

44 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The more general point is, like many in a time of Covid, the money has simply run out & Cooper’s ability to borrow the likes of Guelhi, Woodman, Brewster etc might not be replicated by his successor.

Fingers crossed!

PS. And I'd still argue that being able to identify and appoint Martinez, Sousa, Rodgers, Laudrup, and Potter knocks into a cocked hat the managers we've appointed during the same period.

But, yes, they've certainly had some hiccups since the Yanks arrived - let's hope it continues.     

4 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

SC has received a lot of outrageous negative comments on this forum about his face (and will probably receive many more as this thread develops), and I am sure I can't be the only one who thinks such comments are shameful and totally out of order.

Nevertheless, and having said that, he does come across as an extermely unpleasant character; epitomised by the way he and his bench seem to rise in unison, frequently waving their imaginary yellow cards, whenever there is a hard tackle on one his players - I seem to recall that his father is a former professional refereee, and he no doubt picked up some fatherly tips on how to influence referees.

I shall be interested to see where he goes and who replaces him. 

In other words, he does the ugly part of the game well.

Oh shut up, it was on a plate and I only had to tap it in.

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I agree , it’s not his fault that he fell out of the ugly tree hitting many branches on the way down.

However, I doubt many people have an oil painting of the bloke hanging in their salon. 

I agree, but there was no need to climb up the tree again to fall again. 

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

Sunderland fans think LJ is on the list for the Swansea job. I could see that one happen you know…

Lee will no doubt jump if Swansea came calling. 

I bet LW would be over the moon if this happened....

8 minutes ago, cidercity said:

I bet LW would be over the moon if this happened....

Why, he'd never get to play

2 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Sunderland fans think LJ is on the list for the Swansea job. I could see that one happen you know…

Lee will no doubt jump if Swansea came calling. 

No chance he will move IMO

4 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yet, despite their having enjoyed premiership riches and parachute payments, here we are, about to start another season in the same division as them.... 

16 minutes ago, bris red said:

They are a Bigger more attractive club than Sunderland in many ways these days.. I could see why he would be tempted to be fair.

Nah! Sunderland much bigger - check out comparative attendances in the forthcoming season. 

50 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yet, despite their having enjoyed premiership riches and parachute payments, here we are, about to start another season in the same division as them.... 

Don't get me wrong, I'd be delighted if they were relegated and never returned but I'd be very happy to have played the Premier League football they have and in the way the did it.

Their profile is one of a successful club that has punched well above it's weight and over achieved while playing excellent football. Our profile is one of serial under achievement.     

17 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I think a bit like it always seemingly being sunny when you were young, it is easy to think this of other clubs.

In general they do make better appointments than us but Bob Bradley, Guidolin, Carvahal & Clement were all pretty crap ones by them & were in their last 7 or 8.

But all exciting and adventurous appointments compared to ours

21 minutes ago, harrys said:

But all exciting and adventurous appointments compared to ours

Like Benny Lennartsson, then?

I simply prefer good ones, the run when they appointed Rodgers, Sousa, Laudrup, Martinez was very impressive but it ended in 2015.

Cooper & Potter aside their recent ones have been mediocre.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Like Benny Lennartsson, then?

I simply prefer good ones, the run when they appointed Rodgers, Sousa, Laudrup, Martinez was very impressive but it ended in 2015.

Cooper aside their recent ones have been mediocre.

My god, how long ago was that? We couldn’t of picked more dour and negative managers if we tried, I think SL is also still having nightmares over the Coppell appointment, looking at our appointments over the last 30 years makes grim reading with the odd exception 

13 hours ago, cidercity said:

That was my point he’s gone there for Cooper and ends up with LJ, I would image he wouldn’t be a happy bunny.

I doubt he went there for Cooper; these days when a footballer signs a 3 year (?) contract they are well aware the manager is likely to have changed some time before their contract is up.

If the fawning Swansea official media put it to Walsh that perhaps the chance to play under Cooper had played a big part in his decision to go there, he's hardly going to respond by doing a Flint.

That's not to say he wouldn't vastly prefer Cooper to the prospect of LJ unexpectedly turning up instead of course.

Just now, Nogbad the Bad said:

I doubt he went there for Cooper; these days when a footballer signs a 3 year (?) contract they are well aware the manager is likely to have changed some time before their contract is up.

If the fawning Swansea official media put it to Walsh that perhaps the chance to play under Cooper had played a big part in his decision to go there, he's hardly going to respond by doing a Flint.

That's not to say he wouldn't vastly prefer Cooper to the prospect of LJ unexpectedly turning up instead of course.

He went there for money, I doubt he gives a monkeys who the coach is, if he did he’d play under Pearson.

Archived