IGNORED

Steve Cooper quitting Swansea

Selred

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I doubt he went there for Cooper; these days when a footballer signs a 3 year (?) contract they are well aware the manager is likely to have changed some time before their contract is up.

If the fawning Swansea official media put it to Walsh that perhaps the chance to play under Cooper had played a big part in his decision to go there, he's hardly going to respond by doing a Flint.

That's not to say he wouldn't vastly prefer Cooper to the prospect of LJ unexpectedly turning up instead of course.

Obviously the wedge was the main reason and it may have been a leading question by a journalist that made him mention Cooper. My point being that he would feel unhappy about LJ coming in before he even got the chance to play under Cooper and would feel I would imagine that the Gods are conspiring against him. 

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He went there for money, I doubt he gives a monkeys who the coach is, if he did he’d play under Pearson.

Of course he did, he's a professional footballer.

If Swansea offered him a better contract, he did exactly the same as 99% of modern pros would do.

I agree Cooper being there would have played very little, if any, part in his decision, but also pretty sure he wouldn't have signed for Swansea if LJ was their manager, so who the manager is can definitely play a part in a player's choice of club.

19 hours ago, GrahamC said:

... they are a small club who because they have had a few decent seasons have fans with massive delusions of grandeur ...

Well they did recently enjoy a run of seven straight seasons in the premier league - not too shabby; I worked with two Swansea fans and they just wanted to beat Cardiff - that was the extent of their ambition. Obviously a teeny, tiny sample size of two, but they know where they have come from and had no delusions - it’s probably their fans from the younger ‘premier league/Sky tv’ generation who think they are a huge club.

Also, you could be describing Bristol City with your words above - and we’ve had even less recent success than the Swans - but I’ve even heard “we deserve to be in the premier league...” - oh well ...

14 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Of course he did, he's a professional footballer.

If Swansea offered him a better contract, he did exactly the same as 99% of modern pros would do.

I agree Cooper being there would have played very little, if any, part in his decision, but also pretty sure he wouldn't have signed for Swansea if LJ was their manager, so who the manager is can definitely play a part in a player's choice of club.

Was with you up until the LJ bit, he’d have still signed for them if they offered him the most money.

8 minutes ago, cidercity said:

Obviously the wedge was the main reason and it may have been a leading question by a journalist that made him mention Cooper. My point being that he would feel unhappy about LJ coming in before he even got the chance to play under Cooper and would feel I would imagine that the Gods are conspiring against him. 

Indeed, if I was Walsh, I'd be extremely pissed off if LJ, of all people, replaced Cooper.

Having said that it's up to Walsh to prove to any manager he is worth a regular Championship place, and if he did that under LJ then he would no doubt play him, Walsh would feel appreciated, and any grievances from their time at City would probably be put behind them, if only for professional reasons.

If LJ is to become a manager who moves around a lot - Swansea (v. unlikely imo) would be his 5th managerial position - he is going to come across this sort of scenario of inheriting former players he didn't necessarily hit it off with fairly often I'd have thought - he does seem to fall out with quite a lot of players.

28 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He went there for money, I doubt he gives a monkeys who the coach is, if he did he’d play under Pearson.

Well King and James definitely looked our way because Pearson was here so the coach definitely plays a factor for some people, whether or not its true in Walsh's case only he knows.

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Well King and James definitely looked our way because Pearson was here so the coach definitely plays a factor for some people, whether or not its true in Walsh's case only he knows.

Difference surely being they returned to Pearson who they had success with & in King’s case, although I am no old softy, it is obvious our club means more to him than your usual signing.

Also possible that our offer to James was the best he had anyway & that King won’t exactly have been inundated with them after a couple of disappointing years?

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Difference surely being they returned to Pearson who they had success with & in King’s case, although I am no old softy, it is obvious our club means more to him than your usual signing.

Also possible that our offer to James was the best he had anyway & that King won’t exactly have been inundated with them after a couple of disappointing years?

Quite likely for both but there have been plenty of examples through the years, Van Persie signing for Man Utd to play for Ferguson etc. The Walsh stuff likely was just said for show but for whatever reason wouldn't rule it out 100%

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Was with you up until the LJ bit, he’d have still signed for them if they offered him the most money.

If Walsh didn't get on well with LJ at City, it's reasonable to think that avoiding LJ would be a prime factor when considering his next club.

From the outside you'd imagine Walsh wants to play for a manager who appreciates what he has to offer and makes it clear he will play him regularly to progress his career.

I expect that's how Cooper sold Swansea to him, and in a manner he found believable; he no doubt heard similar from LJ when he signed for City but once bitten twice shy and he wouldn't have accepted it from LJ again even if the money was a bit more imo. 

34 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well they did recently enjoy a run of seven straight seasons in the premier league - not too shabby; I worked with two Swansea fans and they just wanted to beat Cardiff - that was the extent of their ambition. Obviously a teeny, tiny sample size of two, but they know where they have come from and had no delusions - it’s probably their fans from the younger ‘premier league/Sky tv’ generation who think they are a huge club.

Also, you could be describing Bristol City with your words above - and we’ve had even less recent success than the Swans - but I’ve even heard “we deserve to be in the premier league...” - oh well ...

Potentially though we are a much bigger club than Swansea which makes the fact we haven't been in the top flight since I was in my twenties even harder to stomach.

7 hours ago, archie andrews said:

Swansea bigger than sunderland? 

Like rovers saying they're as big as west ham or Norwich... 

I said in many ways they are.. obviously Sunderland can pull in bigger crowds than Swansea and they have a better history than them but modern football is all about the ££ and the chance of playing in the top division..Undoubtedly Swansea would be able to pay LJ more in salary, he would also have a much better calibre of player to work with in comparison to Sunderland plus a far greater chance of managing in the Premier league in the near future and i think we all know LJ and his ego are dieing to have a crack at the Premier League.. 

On 23/07/2021 at 12:33, Ronnie Sinclair said:

John Eustace set to be appointed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57942276

Turned them down, effing hilarious.

Their fans are starting to fret, Woodman, Guelhi, Hourhane, Ayew are all gone, 3 signings so far who are either unproven (PSV reserve player, Wigan kid) or a gamble (Walsh).

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Turned them down, effing hilarious.

Their fans are starting to fret, Woodman, Guelhi, Hourhane, Ayew are all gone, 3 signings so far who are either unproven (PSV reserve player, Wigan kid) or a gamble (Walsh).

I did have a small chuckle when I saw that.  All last week when it was announced Cooper was going, it was all the talk that the replacement was ready and waiting.

Quack, quack, oops.

???

Speaking to a Swansea supporting friend, it seems that if you'd watched them at any time last season it was no surprise at all that they parted company.  They may have finished the season 90 minutes from promotion but they were dire to watch.  The only difference between Swansea and us were results.  Performances were as dour and dire as ours.

2 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Speaking to a Swansea supporting friend, it seems that if you'd watched them at any time last season it was no surprise at all that they parted company.  They may have finished the season 90 minutes from promotion but they were dire to watch.  The only difference between Swansea and us were results.  Performances were as dour and dire as ours.

They won ‘ ugly ‘

:whistle2:

1 hour ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Betting has been suspended on John Terry being the new Swansea manager. He has left Villa.

The bigger implication for us is this makes Craig Shakespeare ever leaving Villa even less likely than before.

37 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Russell Martin rumoured to have been offered the job & turned it down.

Going really well, isn’t it?

Pretty obviously they need a CEO like Ashton to take them through a rigorous process in order to find the right man for the job. 

Archived