IGNORED

Gregor and NP

REDOXO

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Totally agree which is what six paragraphs in the local rag seems to be doing?

Possibly, but if NP speaks to GM for a couple of minutes then it’s a non starter.  Hopefully can be dealt with in an adult manner as I said earlier. 

7 minutes ago, Strictly Obi said:

I also distrust journalists

A blanket statement. More particularly though, who would you trust more to tell you the truth about Bristol City? 

A) A club employee who is paid to make and produce club-published media content, and is in effect interviewing their colleague; or

B) An independent journalist who works for a non-club affiliated paper and who complies with the Independent Press Standards Organisation Editor's Code of Practice.

Someone's going to publish news and conduct interviews regarding the club. I know who I want to be reading.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

A blanket statement. More particularly though, who would you trust more to tell you the truth about Bristol City? 

A) A club employee who is paid to make and produce club-published media content, and is in effect interviewing their colleague; or

B) An independent journalist who works for a non-club affiliated paper and who complies with the Independent Press Standards Organisation Editor's Code of Practice.

Someone's going to publish news and conduct interviews regarding the club. I know who I want to be reading.

It's not the accuracy or truthfulness of the story tbh as almost all of the interviews are done on camera, get published and you can judge for yourself what was said and how it was said. The main issue is that the journalist from the local rag will normally (or should normally) ask more in-depth questions on behalf of the fans than the in-house interviewer who is clearly operating on behalf of the club.

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

It's not the accuracy or truthfulness of the story tbh as almost all of the interviews are done on camera, get published and you can judge for yourself what was said and how it was said. The main issue is that the journalist from the local rag will normally (or should normally) ask more in-depth questions on behalf of the fans than the in-house interviewer who is clearly operating on behalf of the club.

I will agree with that.

9 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Totally agree which is what six paragraphs in the local rag seems to be doing?

That's the lightest condemning I've ever seen if thats what its supposed to be. I think Gregor's aware of the line between raising the issue and making it public and that of blasting Nigel for it.

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

That's the lightest condemning I've ever seen if thats what its supposed to be. I think Gregor's aware of the line between raising the issue and making it public and that of blasting Nigel for it.

He'll get his interview on Saturday as promised, let's see how it goes.

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

I’ve just read the GMcG post Portsmouth article. I thought the last section read like there is an issue between NP and our esteemed Journo. 

anyone else think that or am I way off base?

Difficult to think there is no issue between Pearson & GMG to be honest. He openly smirks & laughs at some questions, he comes across as annoyed at some questions, I’m fairly sure he has made snide ( for want of a better word ) comments before he has been even asked a question (thinking of the Covid video interviews). So you don’t have to be Sherlock to work out that at the very least he doesn’t like journalists or imo this is a bit more personal. I’ve mentioned on another thread that Dave ( the in house interviewer ) seems to get a a much easier ride, with to me just as silly questions like ‘ what are you hoping to get from preseason?’ (paraphrasing a bit possibly). Personally would prefer him to act with a little bit more class, but hey, if he brings winning football, that’s what he’ll be remembered for. COYR 

8 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

He'll get his interview on Saturday as promised, let's see how it goes.

Indeed, lets just see how that goes :yes:

Hopefully, we'll get some serous questions from GMG.

But I won't hold my breath.

Personally, having regularly seen NP at his absolute best (or worst?) with journalists whilst at Leicester City (my local league club), I can assure you that:

1. You have seen nothing yet

2. He really does not give a (insert your favourite expletive) about journalistic egos.

GM needs to learn that:

1. Ask him a direct question you are likely to get a "yes" or "no" answer

2. Ask him a longwinded or silly question you will get an "eye-roll" and no answer

3. Ask him an open, meaningful question that shows some insight you might get 5 minutes of pure gold.

It's funny isn't it, most of last season there were numerous people in here complaining/moaning that they didn't have every detail of every injury a player had. You only had to look at the questions being given to GM when he was asking for questions to put to NP during media briefings and pretty much all anyone wanted to know was who we signing and when's (insert name) back from injury. 

He then asks those type of questions, gets a short sharp shrift from our new gaffer and now he's getting stick for poor journalism, NP is right to ignore him and he's a rubbish journalist. 

Imagine the meltdown after our 1st game when we haven't signed another striker, we lose 1 nil and GM first question is 'why didn't you sign another striker' 

People are a funny breed. 

1 minute ago, arrytheb said:

It's funny isn't it, most of last season there were numerous people in here complaining/moaning that they didn't have every detail of every injury a player had. You only had to look at the questions being given to GM when he was asking for questions to put to NP during media briefings and pretty much all anyone wanted to know was who we signing and when's (insert name) back from injury. 

He then asks those type of questions, gets a short sharp shrift from our new gaffer and now he's getting stick for poor journalism, NP is right to ignore him and he's a rubbish journalist. 

Imagine the meltdown after our 1st game when we haven't signed another striker, we lose 1 nil and GM first question is 'why didn't you sign another striker' 

People are a funny breed. 

Which would be a daft question that a ten year old would ask.

This has all the makings of another SoD scenario.

Fans originally liked his in depth interviews, but when results weren't to fans liking, and pressure mounted, and ' stupid questions' came to the fore from the media...we all know what happened next.

It'll be an interesting watch if we start off poorly...

Gregor’s made a rod for his own back, IMO. First, often by asking stupid questions to Pearson. Second, by ranting in print. I’m not sure what he hoped to achieve by doing that.

Pearson’s on record as saying these friendlies are training exercises and he’ll speak to the media after the MK game. Gregor should’ve waited until then, he should have plenty of questions to ask. 

Storms and tea cups come to mind. GMcG must know by now how irascible NP can be so no need to throw the toys out of the cot over what is only our 2nd pre-season game. So certain players didn't play against Portsmouth, and no doubt certain other players won't play against MK Dons and either Exeter or Plymouth. In terms of who might line up or be on the bench against Blackpool only the Villa game will give an insight. Everyone needs to calm down. 

57 minutes ago, Hxj said:

Personally, having regularly seen NP at his absolute best (or worst?) with journalists whilst at Leicester City (my local league club), I can assure you that:

1. You have seen nothing yet

2. He really does not give a (insert your favourite expletive) about journalistic egos.

GM needs to learn that:

1. Ask him a direct question you are likely to get a "yes" or "no" answer

2. Ask him a longwinded or silly question you will get an "eye-roll" and no answer

3. Ask him an open, meaningful question that shows some insight you might get 5 minutes of pure gold.

Interesting that Nigel seems to respond so differently to Geoff Twentyman 

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Gregor has an issue, Nigel doesn't!! I'm not sure posting an out and out whinge that brings up conjecture about Pearson's previous media relationships is the way to go about building bridges.

In fact it's going to P*** Pearson off even more. Maybe he had other business to sort like signing a player or selling a player something more important than a pre season training game. Gregor certainly needs to watch what he's saying. 

I like Gregor, think he does a good job overall.  I don’t think Nige really deals with the external media that well if he gets stupid Qs.  There’s some middle ground to be found on both sides.

If we take the Bentley situation last week:

Question option 1:

Try to read something into it that he might be off to another club

Response:

Shutters up from Nige

Question option 2:

Take note that Bentley was seen warming up, and ask an open question around why Max is starting

Response:

I was always gonna pick Max, I need to see more of him in match scenarios, etc, etc.  To be honest, that was my gut feel when I saw the team sheet.

Question option 3:

Is Bentley injured

Response:

As he was warming up, likely to get a terse reply.

On this scenario I don’t think Gregor helped himself yesterday by going over the team selection and reporting that Bentley still has a minor issue (unfounded).

The club interviews too often miss out the most basic, obvious questions that fans would like to know the answers to. It’s like Pravda. Laughable on occasions.

Someone like Gregor provides an essential role. It’s not an easy one because he’s often on his own. We should support what he tries to do.

@Davefevs And if the opening question had for instance been along the lines of:

"Great to see Max starting and Harvey on the subs bench, how do you see the competition between the keepers developing over the season?"  The answer might, and I really mean 'might', have been more insightful

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I don't know Gregor personally at all, nor do I have any interest in his own success. But I'll play devil's advocate for him.

He covers a fairly unremarkable football club competing in the second division. How is he supposed to produce Pulitzer-winning material when that is his source and remit? I will concede that he possibly labours the point re absent players a little, but honestly look at the interest on here re the whereabouts of someone like Williams, or generally the amount of thoughts and opinions that have been posted about the injury crisis last season. The club "journalists" never ask about that.

Perhaps "warning" is too strong a word. Maybe "letter of note" is more apt?

Suspect Gregor would argue that it's Pearson that has caused the rift by refusing to do what is customary and answer a couple of questions after a pre-season match.

I agree with @Merrick's Marvels that Gregor should stand up to Pearson when his questions are shrugged off. He was denied the opportunity to do that post-Portsmouth so he's used his platform to do it instead.

FWIW the bit about Pearson 'hitting out' at club media is presumably based on comments in a question and answer session with journalism students at Leicester’s De Montfort University. Source here https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/19082535.former-watford-head-coach-nigel-pearson-hits-club-controlled-journalism/

"If I’m doing a press conference or any interviews, I know the ground rules: I’ve got a job to do and so have you," said Pearson.

I’ve sat in some press conferences and been grilled by very tenacious, well-prepped, well-read journalists who know their stuff.

If all we get is journalism from the perspective of the football club, we’re moving towards a dictatorial state and that’s not what we are.

If we don’t have [independent journalism] we may as well not bother, we may as well live in a Communist state where we’re taught not to think."

Now you can fairly argue that if Gregor reads that properly he will perhaps double down on his preparation, and think of a few more questions other than "Where is Joe Williams?" However, I'd also say that this suggests that if that happens then I'm sure it'll all blow over and Pearson will no doubt wetting himself with excitement for the pre-Blackpool press conference.

Why don’t you play devils advocate for Pearson?

you made a statement of being confrontational e.g. “stand upto Pearson”, why?

You made a presumption that Pearson refused an interview but he didn’t. it’s just a friendly and early days and already toys are being thrown out of the pram because some wants know everything about the Duck’s ass!

Archived