IGNORED

Gregor and NP

REDOXO

1 hour ago, Hxj said:

Personally, having regularly seen NP at his absolute best (or worst?) with journalists whilst at Leicester City (my local league club), I can assure you that:

1. You have seen nothing yet

2. He really does not give a (insert your favourite expletive) about journalistic egos.

GM needs to learn that:

1. Ask him a direct question you are likely to get a "yes" or "no" answer

2. Ask him a longwinded or silly question you will get an "eye-roll" and no answer

3. Ask him an open, meaningful question that shows some insight you might get 5 minutes of pure gold.

Spot on.

Greg got personal and should of stuck to the facts of football 

2 hours ago, Hxj said:

Personally, having regularly seen NP at his absolute best (or worst?) with journalists whilst at Leicester City (my local league club), I can assure you that:

2. He really does not give a (insert your favourite expletive) about journalistic egos.

GM needs to learn that:

2. Ask him a longwinded or silly question you will get an "eye-roll" and no answer

3. Ask him an open, meaningful question that shows some insight you might get 5 minutes of pure gold.

absolutely spot on. i was lucky enough to bump into him in our local supermarket a few weeks ago, it was at the time there was speculation that Nathan Baker was returning, i asked him directly if the rumours were true and he told me sharply and matter of fact he was already back, i was gobsmacked.

he went on to tell me how highly he rated him,and that 2 others were incoming that week (king and the oxford lad. he was absolutely 100% genuine,honest and very likeable,all said with a huge smile. he left his checkout to talk with me for a short while and seemed to be exactly as you have described him. dismissed any doubts i may have had about his personality,smashing fella

2 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

absolutely spot on. i was lucky enough to bump into him in our local supermarket a few weeks ago, it was at the time there was speculation that Nathan Baker was returning, i asked him directly if the rumours were true and he told me sharply and matter of fact he was already back, i was gobsmacked.

he went on to tell me how highly he rated him,and that 2 others were incoming that week (king and the oxford lad. he was absolutely 100% genuine,honest and very likeable,all said with a huge smile. he left his checkout to talk with me for a short while and seemed to be exactly as you have described him. dismissed any doubts i may have had about his personality,smashing fella

Did he pay for your Shopping ??

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

If NP thinks little of our local hack, imagine his reaction if he read the nonsense posted on here.

Isn't the nonsense posted on here and most of what Gregor McWhatshisface writes, the same thing..? 

My take on his relationship with the club is that they see him as a joke and he has little/no sources within it - which is effectively his job to create. 

The amount of times he says something is/isn't happening, just before the opposite happens, is laughable...! 

2 hours ago, Hxj said:

Maybe he just finds him a more intellectually challenging character.

I think its more of the old boys/ players club from the same era, with a bit of mutual respect.

apart from gregors interview with kalas last season which went wrong quickly, i think he does try to ask the questions that people want answering, and does a decent job. From pearsons point of view he has all sorts of sensitive information to protect, from injured players to potential new signings or departures, but most of the time im watching his interviews from behind the sofa, waiting for what he will come out with next,, and not in a good way,,, its borderline bullying of a younger, less alpha male character and isnt really necessary. 
thing is though, thats all very good if you are flying high and winning lots of games,, and with a fully fit squad with some of his old leicester lads brought in, we really need to be competitive from game 1 of the new season.

8 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

A lesson I learned a long time ago is if you are going to write something emotive then do it, put it down/on the task bar for an hour or two, come back to it when you are a bit calmer and then think "do I really want to send/publish that?". Saves a lot of hassle in the long run imo.........

Agreed, its the old deep breaths & count to ten trick, it saves a bit of embarrassment ?

I think any reporter can expect a tough ride with Pearson who is as prickly as it comes and who also needs to realise Gregor is only trying to do his job. It's a tough assignment for Gregor who I believe is one of the best journalists we have had covering City for many a year. However, publicly calling out Pearson is not going to help Gregor going forward. He will need to learn to ride the punches Pearson delivers. Actually I think Pearson's bark is worse than his bite.

Am I alone in seeing this as a good thing?

MacGregor’s job is to hold the club to account, not accept being fobbed off and write it as he sees it.

Pearson’s job will often mean there are aspects around the club that, for perfectly valid reasons, he would rather the media did not find out.

I don’t want the manager and the local journalist to be best friends and I don’t think either is doing their job properly if they are. If the club don’t give MacGregor access, he should write about that. He is not doing his job if he pretends that did not happen so as not to piss off the club.

But, if Pearson and MacGregor don’t get on this season, it’s because we have both a manager and a local journalist who care more about doing their jobs as they should be done than they do about playing the game in order to be liked.

I’ve a lot of time for both Pearson and MacGregor and I don’t see it as a case of picking a side of who is “right” so much as being pleased at them both taking their jobs seriously.

We’re not buying anyone and we are not selling anyone. So Gregor has nothing to write about.  Must be difficult to turn out conjuncture day after day in close season. The markets stagnant so not even the usual rumour mill.  A bit harsh for Pearson not to give up five minutes but I understand why.  He’s getting minutes into players but gets cross examined over every decision as if it were a league game. I would hazard a guess that the MK Dons game will provide a better insight on how we will line up for the season and will provide Gregor the opportunity to cross examine the witness. 

5 days at Loughborough. Straight back to a game that lasted over 2 hours in nearly 30 degree heat . Don’t blame NP for not doing a pointless interview with our local rag. Maybe he wanted to go home and see his family. League match or cup game then obviously he does the interview.

I quite like GM but he’s made a mountain out of a mole hill on this one and done himself no favours. Looking forward to their next meeting 

8 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Isn't the nonsense posted on here and most of what Gregor McWhatshisface writes, the same thing..? 

My take on his relationship with the club is that they see him as a joke and he has little/no sources within it - which is effectively his job to create. 

The amount of times he says something is/isn't happening, just before the opposite happens, is laughable...! 

Stockhausen has GMG beat there, wasn't it the day after he said he was going on holiday because nothing was happening that Kodjia signed?

11 hours ago, Hxj said:

GM needs to learn that:

Good points, but slight problems. If GM just asks direct questions that result in “yes” or “no” answers it will be very short interviews. With the second two points, what is the difference between silly and meaningful questions when your dealing with NP? What could be regarded as a sensible question by a journalist who has a job to do (MG) could easily be regarded as silly questions by a grumpy manager who doesn’t like journalists (NP) 

NP not talking was more to do with that he really does see these games as pure training exercises, not competitive friendly games in an old school way at all.

Possibly difficult for us fans and local journalists to get their heads around in many ways.

I don't feel he needs or wants to give an in depth analysis of why so and so didn't take part in said training session. All of the players are around the club and training as far as I can see and will get game time as required over the next 2 weeks.

There should however be a decent interview given before/after the Villa game - IMO

12 hours ago, Hxj said:

GM needs to learn that:

What happens if he gets asked a question by an ostrich?

13 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

NP not talking was more to do with that he really does see these games as pure training exercises, not competitive friendly games in an old school way at all.

Possibly difficult for us fans and local journalists to get their heads around in many ways.

I don't feel he needs or wants to give an in depth analysis of why so and so didn't take part in said training session. All of the players are around the club and training as far as I can see and will get game time as required over the next 2 weeks.

There should however be a decent interview given before/after the Villa game - IMO

Spot on and why GmG was wrong to call Nige out. I’d love to seen him asking SoD ‘silly questions’……………:rofl2br:

He’s relatively Inexperienced in football journalism but a little research on NP would have taught him to be more careful but direct with his questions.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Spot on and why GmG was wrong to call Nige out. I’d love to seen him asking SoD ‘silly questions’……………:rofl2br:

He’s relatively Inexperienced in football journalism but a little research on NP would have taught him to be more careful but direct with his questions.

Of course he knows. He also probably realises that having a rift with Pearson (with any potential flashpoints) is good for boosting his profile and also getting the Post those all important clicks and viral content.

GmG is being pretty clever here I think. 

11 hours ago, steveybadger said:

NP is just rude. GM can ask as many stupid questions as he likes but when it boils down to it he’s just trying to do his job.

Well maybe he could try and get a bit better at his job? Just a thought.

49 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Of course he knows. He also probably realises that having a rift with Pearson (with any potential flashpoints) is good for boosting his profile and also getting the Post those all important clicks and viral content.

GmG is being pretty clever here I think. 

I don’t agree with any of that. 

Nige is an experienced manager and has torn other journalists to shreds in the past and could do the same to our local hack if he chose to.

GmG needs to be more careful in the way he asks questions.

As for Nige I think he quite enjoys putting know nothing journalists in their place. 

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

I don’t agree with any of that. 

Nige is an experienced manager and has torn other journalists to shreds in the past and could do the same to our local hack if he chose to.

GmG needs to be more careful in the way he asks questions.

As for Nige I think he quite enjoys putting know nothing journalists in their place. 

Clicks are king for outlets like the Post. People know Pearson can be prickly and people love that sort of confrontation. 

A quick YouTube search reveals that some of the most viewed videos concerning Nigel Pearson have these titles

• Pat Murphy Rips Into Nigel Pearson In Amazing Grilling! Saying He Could Be A Bully (216k views)
  • Nigel Pearson - Pundits On 'Bizarre' Clash With James McArthur & "Sacking" (110k views)
  • Nigel Pearson tells fans to **** off and die (350k views)
  • Nigel Pearson calls journalist an "Ostrich" (160k views)
  • Leicester boss Nigel Pearson swears at journalist after Hull draw (197k views)

Just to give some comparison - the following titles have a much smaller amount of views

• Nigel Pearson's first interview as Bristol City manager! (16k views)
  • Nigel Pearson's first training session! | Failand Uncut 012 (8.5k views)
  • UNMISSABLE BEHIND THE SCENES DRESSING ROOM ACCESS | NIGEL PEARSON'S FIRST DAY - Watford FC (12k views)

The theme here is controversy generates views (clicks). Gregor will know that if he provokes Pearson enough, he could have his own "controversy" moment that'll give himself and the post plenty of attention and clicks - thus filling part of his remit. I also genuinely believe he feels Pearson should give his time to the local press - but there's a double benefit to having a sort of "rift" with Pearson as far as Gregor's concerned. 

25 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The theme here is controversy generates views (clicks). Gregor will know that if he provokes Pearson enough, he could have his own "controversy" moment that'll give himself and the post plenty of attention and clicks - thus filling part of his remit. I also genuinely believe he feels Pearson should give his time to the local press - but there's a double benefit to having a sort of "rift" with Pearson as far as Gregor's concerned. 

Hmmm…………:cool2:

Ive seen those YouTube clips of Nige. I checked them out when he was on a short term deal and I can’t remember the names of any of the journalists.

I reckon you’re giving GmG far too credit. If he was any good he’d be working higher up the sports journalists league but he’s not.

Nice enough guy, but not a particularly good local sports hack.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Hmmm…………:cool2:

Ive seen those YouTube clips of Nige. I checked them out when he was on a short term deal and I can’t remember the names of any of the journalists.

I reckon you’re giving GmG far too credit. If he was any good he’d be working higher up the sports journalists league but he’s not.

Nice enough guy, but not a particularly good local sports hack.

The journalist doesn't matter that much, it's about making a clip go viral. Gregor will probably have a target of 'clicks' on his articles. One big viral moment with Pearson could potentially hit his yearly target and then some. 

I think he genuinely does believe Pearson should engage with local press as a principle, but knows there's the potential secondary benefit of a 'flashpoint' viral moment.

15 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The journalist doesn't matter that much, it's about making a clip go viral. Gregor will probably have a target of 'clicks' on his articles. One big viral moment with Pearson could potentially hit his yearly target and then some. 

I think he genuinely does believe Pearson should engage with local press as a principle, but knows there's the potential secondary benefit of a 'flashpoint' viral moment.

Two sides to the debate here 1) Nige might feel that his time is better spent concentrating on what he’s employed to do rather than wasting time with a local hack after what was a training game. 

2) GmG might consider that as the local hack that he should have access to Nige post match despite the match being a training game.

I’m with Nige on this one.

Personally I’m not interested in preseason. I’m more than happy to let the manager and his coaches get on with and if they feel they need to rotate players and increase their fitness then good. No doubt they’ll have a planned strategy for remaining training matches which is of little interest to majorly of the faithful.

I really can’t defend GmG for getting the hump on this one.

54 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Clicks are king for outlets like the Post. People know Pearson can be prickly and people love that sort of confrontation. 

A quick YouTube search reveals that some of the most viewed videos concerning Nigel Pearson have these titles

• Pat Murphy Rips Into Nigel Pearson In Amazing Grilling! Saying He Could Be A Bully (216k views)
  • Nigel Pearson - Pundits On 'Bizarre' Clash With James McArthur & "Sacking" (110k views)
  • Nigel Pearson tells fans to **** off and die (350k views)
  • Nigel Pearson calls journalist an "Ostrich" (160k views)
  • Leicester boss Nigel Pearson swears at journalist after Hull draw (197k views)

Just to give some comparison - the following titles have a much smaller amount of views

• Nigel Pearson's first interview as Bristol City manager! (16k views)
  • Nigel Pearson's first training session! | Failand Uncut 012 (8.5k views)
  • UNMISSABLE BEHIND THE SCENES DRESSING ROOM ACCESS | NIGEL PEARSON'S FIRST DAY - Watford FC (12k views)

The ostrich video should have more views

For me, theres two sides to this.

I do not expect our manager to talk after what was essentially a training exercise, with players swapping teams and extra minutes etc. The club should not be showing this for money on Robins TV either in my opinion but thats another story. Gregor should have perhaps kept his powder dry. So really there is not a massive story here.

However, I have gone on record to say that I am a Pearson fan and that I believe he will be a success over the longterm here with the right autonomy and backing, but, I think he has read the fanbase wrong here. Following the cloak and dagger Ashton era, and the inexplicable appointment of Dean Holden plus the fabrication around contracts/Fam/injuries, that ranged from outright untruths to silence, I think he should be more communicative and transparent.

There is a dis-trust between club and supporters that has crept in and Nige’s front and centre when it comes to rebuilding that.

For that reason only, he should be speaking to media and maybe answering questions that he deems tedious. Once he has some wins on the board - do what he wants.

14 hours ago, Hxj said:

GM needs to learn that:

He clearly has a very inflated opinion of himself. Should show a bit more class and respect to someone simply doing their job, no matter how "silly" he perceives the question to be

Archived