IGNORED

Gregor and NP

REDOXO

26 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

For me, theres two sides to this.

I do not expect our manager to talk after what was essentially a training exercise, with players swapping teams and extra minutes etc. The club should not be showing this for money on Robins TV either in my opinion but thats another story. Gregor should have perhaps kept his powder dry. So really there is not a massive story here.

However, I have gone on record to say that I am a Pearson fan and that I believe he will be a success over the longterm here with the right autonomy and backing, but, I think he has read the fanbase wrong here. Following the cloak and dagger Ashton era, and the inexplicable appointment of Dean Holden plus the fabrication around contracts/Fam/injuries, that ranged from outright untruths to silence, I think he should be more communicative and transparent.

There is a dis-trust between club and supporters that has crept in and Nige’s front and centre when it comes to rebuilding that.

For that reason only, he should be speaking to media and maybe answering questions that he deems tedious. Once he has some wins on the board - do what he wants.

In a way, I actually think is this is the crux of the matter.

By saying that

a) this is a training game so the manager does not have to speak to the media

and 

b) this is a proper match so we're going to charge £10 for people to watch

the club is trying to have it both ways, and that is what has created the issue.

If it was genuinely a training game - which is clearly how Pearson sees it- it had no place being charged for on Robins TV. As soon as the club took that decision, it made the game a matter of public interest and created a situation where Pearson should have been accountable to the media afterwards.

The frustrating thing is that, if the club had called it a training game and streamed it for free, they could have got a lot of good will from the supporters, maybe attracted new people who might subscribe in the future and avoided any questions around media access. 

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

By saying that

and 

the club is trying to have it both ways, and that is what has created the issue.

If it was genuinely a training game - which is clearly how Pearson sees it- it had no place being charged for on Robins TV. As soon as the club took that decision, it made the game a matter of public interest and created a situation where Pearson should have been accountable to the media afterwards.

The frustrating thing is that, if the club had called it a training game and streamed it for free, they could have got a lot of good will from the supporters, maybe attracted new people who might subscribe in the future and avoided any questions around media access. 

Exactly my thoughts.

16 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Pearson can be a grumpy cantankerous old bloke and it's pretty clear he has a general disdain for the media. He begrudgingly does internal club stuff but seems to detest the third party stuff.

He's basically made Gregor's job hard. But yeh Gregor's taken the opportunity there to make the case for his role.

If City were smart they would appoint a spokesman to handle the media as journos will try to wind Nige up to get a headline

13 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

For me, theres two sides to this.

I do not expect our manager to talk after what was essentially a training exercise, with players swapping teams and extra minutes etc. The club should not be showing this for money on Robins TV either in my opinion but thats another story. Gregor should have perhaps kept his powder dry. So really there is not a massive story here.

However, I have gone on record to say that I am a Pearson fan and that I believe he will be a success over the longterm here with the right autonomy and backing, but, I think he has read the fanbase wrong here. Following the cloak and dagger Ashton era, and the inexplicable appointment of Dean Ashton, plus the fabrication around contracts/Fam/injuries, that ranged from outright untruths to silence, I think he should be more communicative and transparent.

There is a dis-trust between club and supporters that has crept in and Nige’s front and centre when it comes to rebuilding that.

For that reason only, he should be speaking to media and maybe answering questions that he deems tedious. Once he has some wins on the board - do what he wants.

The overwhelming reason for the distrust between club and fans has ****** off to Suffolk, lets be fair about that. Nothing more, nothing less.

Pearson did interview after interview at the end of last season when we were losing matches left, right and bloody centre when there was no doubt nothing more he would rather not be doing, as was his obligation. Nobody was bellyaching then except one or two who don't particularly fancy Pearson (of course they are 100% entitled to that view) and who also appear to be quite vocal on this topic weirdly.

All of a sudden Pearson doesn't carry out an interview (we don't know whether he point blank refused, simply wasn't available due to other club commitments, perhaps had a family emergency or commitment to deal with....whatever, because all we have is one side of the story from a frustrated hack who has gone into print with a rant that just reads as immature, contains conjecture and lacks much in the way of professionalism.............and yet without both sides of the story a few people are rather predictably taking the one side of it as fact. It's the instant gratification world we live in, I've read what Gregor said, that'll do for me, Nigel is guilty as charged sod finding out the facts. The same world where a sizeable minority of the internet either believed or wanted to believe that Fabian Delph was a naughty bastard a few days back without considering the available evidence and forcing the players representative to issue a denial on behalf of the player through official media channels. Just imagine if that happened to YOU............have a proper think about that.

NP's promised an interview with Gregor on Saturday......if he doesn't meet that commitment then surely that is the time to ask questions, analyse the situation to bloody death and start getting pissy about it if that's what floats your boat?

2 hours ago, Super said:

Well maybe he could try and get a bit better at his job? Just a thought.

Yes he could but NP could try not to be rude. In my job If I spoke to people who weren’t good at theirs in the way he does, I’d be sacked. Being a football manager isn’t an excuse.

16 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The overwhelming reason for the distrust between club and fans has ****** off to Suffolk, lets be fair about that. Nothing more, nothing less.

Pearson did interview after interview at the end of last season when we were losing matches left, right and bloody centre when there was no doubt nothing more he would rather not be doing, as was his obligation. Nobody was bellyaching then except one or two who don't particularly fancy Pearson (of course they are 100% entitled to that view) and who also appear to be quite vocal on this topic weirdly.

All of a sudden Pearson doesn't carry out an interview (we don't know whether he point blank refused, simply wasn't available due to other club commitments, perhaps had a family emergency or commitment to deal with....whatever, because all we have is one side of the story from a frustrated hack who has gone into print with a rant that just reads as immature, contains conjecture and lacks much in the way of professionalism.............and yet without both sides of the story a few people are rather predictably taking the one side of it as fact. It's the instant gratification world we live in, I've read what Gregor said, that'll do for me, Nigel is guilty as charged sod finding out the facts. The same world where a sizeable minority of the internet either believed or wanted to believe that Fabian Delph was a naughty bastard a few days back without considering the available evidence and forcing the players representative to issue a denial on behalf of the player through official media channels. Just imagine if that happened to YOU............have a proper think about that.

NP's promised an interview with Gregor on Saturday......if he doesn't meet that commitment then surely that is the time to ask questions, analyse the situation to bloody death and start getting pissy about it if that's what floats your boat?

???

19 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

This is a side note but I think that is being a bit disingenuous to be honest. He was obviously the focal point but the whole blame can’t be pinned on him and there are plenty left who were involved during his tenure. Takes a lot more than just saying ‘he’s gone everything is now A ok’ to win back trust imho. Deeds not words and all that……

Think Gregor has taken this a bit too personally.

Sure, NP is not easy to interview and can be a little curt in his responses sometimes but i think that means as a journalist, you need to find the right angle and approach to get an interesting answer you can then write about.

Calling him out for not doing an interview yesterday just seems wrong imo.

Just now, lenred said:

This is a side note but I think that is being a bit disingenuous to be honest. He was obviously the focal point but the whole blame can’t be pinned on him and there are plenty left who were involved during his tenure. Takes a lot more than just saying ‘he’s gone everything is now A ok’ to win back trust imho. Deeds not words and all that……

You can be as honest as you like and seeing as it it is such a big thing with you I can assure you that all of my opinions are sincere so why not throw yer disingenuous tag at someone else if implying that posters are deceitful, dishonest and insincere is what floats your boat when you post on here?

Clearly there will be a period where the damage has to be repaired but I would suggest it will happen far quicker without the "Focal Point" involved at the club than with him here. In fact you only have to read this forum where people are starting to claim that the club comms has started to become a lot more open and interesting already.............

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

You can be as honest as you like and seeing as it it is such a big thing with you I can assure you that all of my opinions are sincere so why not throw yer disingenuous tag at someone else if implying that posters are deceitful, dishonest and insincere is what floats your boat when you post on here?

Clearly there will be a period where the damage has to be repaired but I would suggest it will happen far quicker without the "Focal Point" involved at the club than with him here. In fact you only have to read this forum where people are starting to claim that the club comms has started to become a lot more open and interesting already.............

Wow, that seems a very heavy handed response!  No offence meant but very obviously taken. 
Sorry for not agreeing with your every word but this is a forum so we all have a right to reply. I won’t bother replying to you again though. Enjoy your echo chamber ??

1 minute ago, lenred said:

Wow, that seems a very heavy handed response!  No offence meant but very obviously taken. 
Sorry for not agreeing with your every word but this is a forum so we all have a right to reply. I won’t bother replying to you again though. Enjoy your echo chamber ??

I think you sum yourself up very well above. You like dishing out tags on people but don't like a response back. Please don't respond in future.

46 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Yes but this is the beginning of a new season, I would expect to hear about changes around the team etc.

I do find him unnecessarily rude towards Gregor though, it's rather tiresome. Saying that, I'm not fussed that Nige didn't do an interview yesterday.

49 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

All of a sudden Pearson doesn't carry out an interview (we don't know whether he point blank refused, simply wasn't available due to other club commitments, perhaps had a family emergency or commitment to deal with.

I think its the fact Nigel took time to do the club interview after the game but wouldn't speak to local press, surely the club interview is the easier one to push back to a later time if he did have something more pressing to do. Just reads as if he has no time for local press and only did the club one as he knew what he'd be getting from Dave Barton.

55 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

By saying that

and 

On this note, I know Colchester v Tottenham was streamed online (on SpursTV) for free yesterday with fans not even having to sign up to the club website to be able to watch. 

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Yes but this is the beginning of a new season, I would expect to hear about changes around the team etc.

I do find him unnecessarily rude towards Gregor though, it's rather tiresome. Saying that, I'm not fussed that Nige didn't do an interview yesterday.

On the basis that the first two training games are considered literally training sessions by NP and that he has promised to speak to the media on Saturday I'm guessing we will get a bit more information then. We've had a couple of fitness sessions against Celtic and Portsmouth but presumably we will soon be moving onto the part of pre-season when he looks at combinations and how the team plays. He's bound to have more to say as we go through pre-season.

37 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Yes he could but NP could try not to be rude. In my job If I spoke to people who weren’t good at theirs in the way he does, I’d be sacked. Being a football manager isn’t an excuse.

I think it is.

All professional managers are obligated to deal with the press and many of them don’t like that part of the job. O’Driscoll is a perfect example and if you consider Nige to be ‘rude’ then just think of SoD. It was almost impossible to interview that bloke. Alex Ferguson refused to have anything to do with the BBC after he’d got the hump with them.

We’ve all seen managers ‘lose it’ especially after they’d just lost a game. KK and Colin spring to mind and of course the media love it when they do.

Personally I don’t a shit if Nige upsets GmG. 

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I think its the fact Nigel took time to do the club interview after the game but wouldn't speak to local press, surely the club interview is the easier one to push back to a later time if he did have something more pressing to do. Just reads as if he has no time for local press and only did the club one as he knew what he'd be getting from Dave Barton.

I think Gregor will get as much time as he needs on Saturday. There will no doubt be more to say for starters.

Just now, Robbored said:

I think it is.

All professional managers are obligated to deal with the press and many of them don’t like that part of the job. O’Driscoll is a perfect example and if you consider Nige to be ‘rude’ then just think of SoD. It was almost impossible to interview that bloke. Alex Ferguson refused to have anything to do with the BBC after he’d got the hump with them.

We’ve all seen managers ‘lose it’ especially after they’d just lost a game. KK and Colin spring to mind and of course the media love it when they do.

Personally I don’t a shit if Nige upsets GmG. 

Steve Cotterill? If you want to go down the abrupt and rude route when asked a joke of a question there is no better example than him.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Hmmm…………:cool2:

Ive seen those YouTube clips of Nige. I checked them out when he was on a short term deal and I can’t remember the names of any of the journalists.

I reckon you’re giving GmG far too credit. If he was any good he’d be working higher up the sports journalists league but he’s not.

Nice enough guy, but not a particularly good local sports hack.

We all had to start somewhere, 20man is highly regarded by most on here and has been working in local bristol radio for years, and hasnt made it up higher in the sports journalist league. 

for someone who is covering the club, he is putting out fresh content on the website everyday, and regularly asking lots of questions of pearson who he knows can be difficult to deal with. If pearson as a young pro was regularly getting torn apart by an experienced older journalist as he was coming through im sure he wouldnt have appreciated it.

21 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

We all had to start somewhere, 20man is highly regarded by most on here and has been working in local bristol radio for years, and hasnt made it up higher in the sports journalist league. 

for someone who is covering the club, he is putting out fresh content on the website everyday, and regularly asking lots of questions of pearson who he knows can be difficult to deal with. If pearson as a young pro was regularly getting torn apart by an experienced older journalist as he was coming through im sure he wouldnt have appreciated it.

I think therein lies part of the problem.  During pre-season unless there is genuine transfer stuff going on, there’s not enough to write about.  I think Gregor tries really hard to get decent content out there, e.g. round-up of Championship transfers etc, but he’s feeding off scraps if he has only got the same video content as us.  He engages with us fans well, with his Monday Q&A, but like Nige being fed up with Gregor’s Qs, Gregor must get fed up with some of the fans Qs…..some of them are dreadful.

42 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Twentyman is an adopted well respected Bristolian.

He’s lived and is settled in the area for years. He’s is happy his his job - why would he want to move anywhere?

Archived