IGNORED

Gregor and NP

REDOXO

3 hours ago, Colombo Robin said:

Ladbrokes currently offering 8/1 on Pearson answering Gregor's first question with "yo momma"

Also offering 15-1 on Gregor attending tomorrow’s interview in a Bernie Clifton Ostrich outfit.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

I think you were in the minority. Many said they enjoyed SoDs interviews and comments early doors...then it just got silly as we know.

NP is marmite. He grates on me in the way he responds to questions.

Always comes across as a chore and like he's Mr Angry. I get the impression it's an act and away from football he's a big softy. 

The Professional side I guess...some people feel they have to act like the alpha male to get the response they want or impression given. That's how I see it. Others will disagree I'm sure.

It’s totally a persona.  He is very slow and deliberate, and has admitted in the past that he is ensuring he doesn’t say anything that can be mis-interpreted.  Johnson was the opposite, wanting to blurt out how superior he wanted us to think he was.  Nige’s son stated that he’s the complete opposite at home, talking at 100mph.

A certain poster on OTIB bumped into Nige the other week and confirmed to me (and a couple of others on here) that Nige is a very different away from the cameras, a bit of an excitable kid at heart.  I think the players  get to see that side (as well as the Sgt Major type too)….we don’t.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

I think you were in the minority. Many said they enjoyed SoDs interviews and comments early doors...then it just got silly as we know.

NP is marmite. He grates on me in the way he responds to questions.

Always comes across as a chore and like he's Mr Angry. I get the impression it's an act and away from football he's a big softy. 

The Professional side I guess...some people feel they have to act like the alpha male to get the response they want or impression given. That's how I see it. Others will disagree I'm sure.

Interesting points. 

Each time there’s a new manager it’s refreshing at first. I liked SOD’s interviews initially, but after a while they started to annoy me. Especially the stuff he said after the victory against the fewers, when he showed no understanding of the passions evoked by a local derby. Also things like not looking at the league table. 

Cotts always wore his heart on his sleeve and I liked that. 

I also really liked LJ’s interviews for a while, until the David Brent-isms got annoying. 

Holden was more straight-talking, which was a welcome change at first, but then his interviews became littered with meaningless comments like “we go again” and “we’ll work hard in training”. 

And now we have NP, who is very considered in the way he speaks and seems to have contempt for the interview process (and I can see how this is all grating). But as has been said elsewhere on this thread, this appears to be the professional persona he has developed, a bit like the way Warnock’s pantomime villain character evolved. 

If the team is winning and/or playing well, any annoying characteristics of the manager are easier to overlook. 

On 21/07/2021 at 18:31, Bannerman said:

IMO Greg is stirring it up and causing unnecessary rift. He’s putting his personal gripe for all to read. He needs to wind his neck in before he get it chopped off. He claims to speak for the fans, I wonder how many that is? 

I think they should settle it like men.

Queensberry Rules.

Journalism at best is something of an art form and sadly is very under represented in today's media. 

I dont blame anyone for not wanting to listen to questions which, if they don't answer themselves, are overtly leading or frequently delivered with a sarcastic tone. ( I'm not singling out GG).

NP is extremely experienced in dealing with the media and I'm sure he knows the difference between engaging in a conversation because there's something worth discussing, and just being available because a journalist needs to produce some sort of copy to feed the 24 hour coverage that we apparently demand.

On 23/07/2021 at 10:56, Offside said:

Interesting points. 

Each time there’s a new manager it’s refreshing at first. I liked SOD’s interviews initially, but after a while they started to annoy me. Especially the stuff he said after the victory against the fewers, when he showed no understanding of the passions evoked by a local derby. Also things like not looking at the league table. 

Cotts always wore his heart on his sleeve and I liked that. 

I also really liked LJ’s interviews for a while, until the David Brent-isms got annoying. 

Holden was more straight-talking, which was a welcome change at first, but then his interviews became littered with meaningless comments like “we go again” and “we’ll work hard in training”. 

And now we have NP, who is very considered in the way he speaks and seems to have contempt for the interview process (and I can see how this is all grating). But as has been said elsewhere on this thread, this appears to be the professional persona he has developed, a bit like the way Warnock’s pantomime villain character evolved. 

If the team is winning and/or playing well, any annoying characteristics of the manager are easier to overlook. 

From interviews I have watched between NP and Gregor, NP seems to get a little annoyed when answering questions he has already answered. And Gregor seems to have a few of these in his interviews. So maybe he should put a bit more homework in to his questions and things might go a bit better.

6 minutes ago, SBB said:

What are your main takeaways from that? There were so many positives for your team today.

A lot more players got 90 minutes so that's good. It was good to see them all in the squad over the two games and we'll do the same next week [against Exeter City and Plymouth Argyle].

The young players were so impressive today. That will be exactly what you want from them, putting themselves into real contention to play...

Yeah, they did okay. The players did okay.

You're splitting the squad currently and you have the U23s playing at Weston-super-Mare as well, such as Louis Britton today I believe...

You've got to remember that the players there are not in the first team squad at the moment. Players will drift in and out of the first-team squad.

What's your biggest positive from today, given that the youngsters were so impressive, your side was clinical and it's another good workout with the season now two weeks away?

That they're [the players] doing exactly what we want. They're working hard towards the start of the season and yeah they've done okay.

Dan Bentley was captain today, but Chris Martin was the other day. Is that a permanent fixture or will you look to rotate it aroud other senior players?

You'll have to wait and see on that.

What about Marlee Francois in midweek. We believe he's playing for the U23s today. Was it your decision to lend him to Portsmouth and what did you make of his star turn?

There's nothing to do with anybody else apart from we agreed, or we suggested that he could play for them because they ran out of players.

The club released pictures of Nahki Wells and Tomas Kalas doing running tests earlier in the week, and Ryley Towler and Han-Noah Massengo were in those too. Are those guys coming back from injury?
They're fine. All the players will be involved over the next week or so and yeah, we're trying to make sure that everybody gets pitch time.

Are there likely to be any ins or outs before the Blackpool game or will you have this squad for the first Championship game? 

I stand by what I said last time I spoke on it. 

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What are your main takeaways from that? There were so many positives for your team today.

A lot more players got 90 minutes so that's good. It was good to see them all in the squad over the two games and we'll do the same next week [against Exeter City and Plymouth Argyle].

The young players were so impressive today. That will be exactly what you want from them, putting themselves into real contention to play...

Yeah, they did okay. The players did okay.

You're splitting the squad currently and you have the U23s playing at Weston-super-Mare as well, such as Louis Britton today I believe...

You've got to remember that the players there are not in the first team squad at the moment. Players will drift in and out of the first-team squad.

What's your biggest positive from today, given that the youngsters were so impressive, your side was clinical and it's another good workout with the season now two weeks away?

That they're [the players] doing exactly what we want. They're working hard towards the start of the season and yeah they've done okay.

Dan Bentley was captain today, but Chris Martin was the other day. Is that a permanent fixture or will you look to rotate it aroud other senior players?

You'll have to wait and see on that.

What about Marlee Francois in midweek. We believe he's playing for the U23s today. Was it your decision to lend him to Portsmouth and what did you make of his star turn?

There's nothing to do with anybody else apart from we agreed, or we suggested that he could play for them because they ran out of players.

The club released pictures of Nahki Wells and Tomas Kalas doing running tests earlier in the week, and Ryley Towler and Han-Noah Massengo were in those too. Are those guys coming back from injury?
They're fine. All the players will be involved over the next week or so and yeah, we're trying to make sure that everybody gets pitch time.

Are there likely to be any ins or outs before the Blackpool game or will you have this squad for the first Championship game? 

I stand by what I said last time I spoke on it. 

I appreciate it's just pre-season and he's usually much better in longform club content - but an interview like this isn't particularly helpful. The questions aren't exactly riveting, but responses like that make Gregor's job pretty difficult. Probably in response to Gregor's comments the other day. 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I appreciate it's just pre-season and he's usually much better in longform club content - but an interview like this isn't particularly helpful. The questions aren't exactly riveting, but responses like that make Gregor's job pretty difficult. Probably in response to Gregor's comments the other day. 

Agree, whatever people think of Gregor this is pretty poor on Pearson’s behalf & rather childish.

5 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

True, but look at the questions . He is again adding opinion in his first question, when NP has said they are training sessions. He could have asked about the pressing , that we all discussed on here. That was something that is new , and a reflection of the fitness regime. He could ask how the club assess fitness, what does "fit" mean . How much fitter are they compared to this time last year. 

There really is little to say anyway after such a game, you will not get him talking transfers, so is there really any need to talk to NP anyway ? 

Are other clubs much different ? Other managers pre season ? 

Is that not the same for any preseason? It’s like people are thinking Pearson is reinventing the wheel or something. Every preseason in essence are fitness/shape/style/partnerships or training matches if you want. I’d be really interested in previous preseason match interview questions & there answers from different managers. I wouldn’t think the questions would be too much different, but I’d be confident the answers would be. The sad thing is its not helpful for anyone. Still think he’s the man for the job, just maybe needs some PR training ? COYR 

8 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

True, but look at the questions . He is again adding opinion in his first question, when NP has said they are training sessions. He could have asked about the pressing , that we all discussed on here. That was something that is new , and a reflection of the fitness regime. He could ask how the club assess fitness, what does "fit" mean . How much fitter are they compared to this time last year. 

There really is little to say anyway after such a game, you will not get him talking transfers, so is there really any need to talk to NP anyway ? 

I agree with all of this. That said, Gregor does himself no favours with his interviews at times and needs to polish up on that. Personally, I find being asked the same question more than once to be grating. He needs to learn how to elicit decent answers from NP, and must have contacts with Leics Live to pick their brains. I also loathe Gregor’s slap-dash writing style, but that’s another issue altogether. He probably edits his own work like most local hacks nowadays. 

To be fair what's NP got to report back he doesn't give much away he's far to intelligent for that.. But I also think Gregor's questions don't inspire NP to give answer back.. I remember Gregor said he could never get Johnson to shut up in a interview and now it's the opposite.. Gregor's got a long season ahead of him ?

Why is this even an issue? The club and NP have been quite good in getting info to us on the main sites/accounts. Gregor is now redundant so hardly going to get the main man to divulge things.

My impression is that we are much more professional now. COD was even careful with what he said on commentary in regards to shape and tactics. Same with injuries. Let us leave that to the imagination of the opposition. 

As for Gregor, he is getting bare minimum which is up to the discretion of the boss. Didn’t this happen to Andy Stockhausen with Cotterill? Seems to me NP has enough on his plate to worry about Gregor and his employer. Maybe just me but I care about the football. All the other stuff is much less important to me. 

27 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I did acknowledge the questions were poor

40 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The questions aren't exactly riveting, but responses like that make Gregor's job pretty difficult.

I think that Gregor, rather than NP, has made Gregor’s job difficult. By publicly criticising NP’s lack of post-match press conference after the Pompey match, he’s made a rod for his own back - made a guy already well-known for his reticence to talk to reporters even more reluctant to talk to him! An error of judgment which will cause Gregor more problems than it’ll cause NP. 

15 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

What questions would people have liked him to ask today, out of interest?

6 of the 8 questions Gregor asked were closed questions - so he could cut that out and it might help. I think Pearson was probably annoyed about the other day's outburst so didn't fancy giving Gregor much.

On the other hand there will be some fans that get their news from the Post over the official club channels (perhaps older fans) so with them in mind I think Pearson could be a bit more forthcoming. It is only pre-season though and I wouldn't have even bothered reading the interview if it wasn't for Gregor's comments midweek. 

NP’s answers v clipped and I sense an atmosphere. Understandable, in a way, but like it or not it’s part of the job. If we win the league, no one will care. But if winter sets in and results are not all we wanted, NP may need an ally in the press. Given it’s 20 mins of nonsense on a sunny Saturday afternoon, I’d try to show a little more long term savvy if I was NP.

12 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Why is this even an issue? The club and NP have been quite good in getting info to us on the main sites/accounts. Gregor is now redundant so hardly going to get the main man to divulge things.

My impression is that we are much more professional now. COD was even careful with what he said on commentary in regards to shape and tactics. Same with injuries. Let us leave that to the imagination of the opposition. 

As for Gregor, he is getting bare minimum which is up to the discretion of the boss. Didn’t this happen to Andy Stockhausen with Cotterill? Seems to me NP has enough on his plate to worry about Gregor and his employer. Maybe just me but I care about the football. All the other stuff is much less important to me. 

Spot on! 

Lately the club communication seems so much more open & clear. Whereas previously we had to rely on Gregor to dig out info.

Since Pearson’s arrival Gregor has struggled to adapt himself to the current managers style & is paying the price for asking stupid questions & not preparing properly.

Pearson obviously had no time for unprepared journos filling column & air space for the sake of it.

Archived