IGNORED

Gregor and NP

REDOXO

Just now, Hampshire reds said:

i think gregor does a good job. i feel nigel needs to be more open with the gregor as its the only way the fans get to know what is going on. 

What I like about Gregor is I think he genuinely wants to do the best for the fans. Although (generally speaking) I agree with the principle he was raising the other day, I'm not convinced he's on the money here - fans aren't that bothered about pre-season and making an enemy of Pearson won't help him in the long run. 

Probably better to bite his tongue on that occasion. 

3 hours ago, Henry said:

That’ll teach Gregor for throwing his toys out of the pram.

Yes although this is the case, i'm intrigued to see what happens in this fun little pre season side show and whether it continues into the season. Good to create a little edge between the two, a little psychological battle of who can come out on top will be entertaining and will keep them both on their toes.

Well, Gregor asks the sort of things we would ask, and while I really rate NP and wish him every success in the World he has to mellow a tad.

Like it or not, the media are part of the modern game.  it will be interesting to see how NP will react as the season progresses and I hope old Twentystone can entice him back on radio Bristol as he did with LJ and the villain MA and many before.  

I suspect as Twentystone solid ex pro and similar central defender they will get on like a house on fire ?

3 hours ago, Red Alert said:

Spot on! 

Lately the club communication seems so much more open & clear. Whereas previously we had to rely on Gregor to dig out info.

Since Pearson’s arrival Gregor has struggled to adapt himself to the current managers style & is paying the price for asking stupid questions & not preparing properly.

Pearson obviously had no time for unprepared journos filling column & air space for the sake of it.

Still finding the club stuff very amateur tbh. Nice fancy new camerawork, but Downsy asking Joe Williams if pre season games are ‘helpful for playing time’ and Dave Barton asking the 23s keeper if joining the first team on pre season ‘was a step up for him’ ??

10 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Well, Gregor asks the sort of things we would ask, and while I really rate NP and wish him every success in the World he has to mellow a tad.

Like it or not, the media are part of the modern game.  it will be interesting to see how NP will react as the season progresses and I hope old Twentystone can entice him back on radio Bristol as he did with LJ and the villain MA and many before.  

I suspect as Twentystone solid ex pro and similar central defender they will get on like a house on fire ?

I’m not so sure, when GT spoke to Nige last season Nige was rather prickly and on the defensive. 
Perhaps Nige feels under pressure already especially after last season’s performances. The fans only want to know what’s going on

10 hours ago, petehinton said:

Still finding the club stuff very amateur tbh. Nice fancy new camerawork, but Downsy asking Joe Williams if pre season games are ‘helpful for playing time’ and Dave Barton asking the 23s keeper if joining the first team on pre season ‘was a step up for him’ ??

Agreed. Downsy shouldn't be doing interviews with players full stop in my opinion. I've also been a little disappointed in Dave Barton - I expected him to be a far more competent interviewer. 

The videos are generally fairly well filmed, but the social media in general is still rather irritating. It's a big shame the club let go of Adam Baker as I feel he got the balance right as a genuine fan of the club. He understood our support and that's very important.

I don't think anyone in the media department is an actual supporter of the club and it shows. 

14 hours ago, Bedred31 said:

NP’s answers v clipped and I sense an atmosphere. Understandable, in a way, but like it or not it’s part of the job. If we win the league, no one will care. But if winter sets in and results are not all we wanted, NP may need an ally in the press. Given it’s 20 mins of nonsense on a sunny Saturday afternoon, I’d try to show a little more long term savvy if I was NP.

I  cannot see why NP should have to pander to  a Post reporter particularly one who was so quick to criticize NP in print after not talking to him after one preseason friendly. I doubt anyone needs friends like that.

18 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

I  cannot see why NP should have to pander to  a Post reporter particularly one who was so quick to criticize NP in print after not talking to him after one preseason friendly. I doubt anyone needs friends like that.

Doing interviews is an integral part of a managers job so it’s not about pandering to GmG or any other media. Like most managers Nige doesn’t like to have his decisions questioned and has reacted poorly for sure in the past.

However, when it comes to preseason training matches I can quite understand why Nige has been unavailable for GmG when it’s his and his coaches jobs to get the squad as ready as possible and that means utilising the entire squad. However,Nige did do an interview with Robins Tv instead and that’s what Gregor got in a piss about.

It was childish of GmG to react in the way he did tho. 

GMcG is obvs being stupid if he believes external press will be directly part of pre-season friendly matches.

Have a look around at the other clubs and see how much external press interaction is occurring, let alone post match interviews during pre-season.

Clubs have their own media - it's there to use, especially for the non-formal.

Moving on...

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Doing interviews is an integral part of a managers job so it’s not about pandering to GmG or any other media. Like most managers Nige doesn’t like to have his decisions questioned and has reacted poorly for sure in the past.

However, when it comes to preseason training matches I can quite understand why Nige has been unavailable for GmG when it’s his and his coaches jobs to get the squad as ready as possible and that means utilising the entire squad. However,Nige did do an interview with Robins Tv instead and that’s what Gregor got in a piss about.

It was childish of GmG to react in the way he did tho. 

I think there’s a bigger picture at play here and it’s on the club side.  Nige is saying it’s a practice / training session.  Club advertising it as a £10 pre-season friendly.  The two aren’t aligned….and that doesn’t help the current club / manager disconnect with local media, where local media are expecting same level of access as a league / cup match.

Yesterday, was a missed opportunity….on both sides.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think there’s a bigger picture at play here and it’s on the club side.  Nige is saying it’s a practice / training session.  Club advertising it as a £10 pre-season friendly.  The two aren’t aligned….and that doesn’t help the current club / manager disconnect with local media, where local media are expecting same level of access as a league / cup match.

Yesterday, was a missed opportunity….on both sides.

No doubt and as always the club are looking to fleece the fans - hence the tenner for a training match but the  ‘disconnect’ between Nige and GmG is entirely one sided. 

Is no big deal for Nige if the local hack is pissed off. He did his managerial duty by giving an interview to RobinsTV and not GmG and he got the hump over it……..….:cool2: A very ‘toys out the pram’ reaction from GmG.

GmG will get proper access when the serious stuff starts and then we’ll see how it goes after the Blackpool match.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No doubt and as always the club are looking to fleece the fans - hence the tenner for a training match but the  ‘disconnect’ between Nige and GmG is entirely one sided. 

Is no big deal for Nige if the local hack is pissed off. He did his managerial duty by giving an interview to RobinsTV and not GmG and he got the hump over it……..….:cool2: A very ‘toys out the pram’ reaction from GmG.

GmG will get proper access when the serious stuff starts and then we’ll see how it goes after the Blackpool match.

I thought I read on here that GMc was going to get his proper access yesterday and that was the reason he didn’t get it in the week? Or was that just hearsay?  Whatever it all seems a bit farcical at the moment and both parties need to up their game a bit and grow up. Causing unnecessary friction when everyone should have full focus on the start of the season. 

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed. Downsy shouldn't be doing interviews with players full stop in my opinion. I've also been a little disappointed in Dave Barton - I expected him to be a far more competent interviewer. 

The videos are generally fairly well filmed, but the social media in general is still rather irritating. It's a big shame the club let go of Adam Baker as I feel he got the balance right as a genuine fan of the club. He understood our support and that's very important.

I don't think anyone in the media department is an actual supporter of the club and it shows. 

And as for getting O'Dowda to interview Williams...I mean what was that all about?

4 minutes ago, lenred said:

I thought I read on here that GMc was going to get his proper access yesterday and that was the reason he didn’t get it in the week? Or was that just hearsay?  Whatever it all seems a bit farcical at the moment and both parties need to up their game a bit and grow up. Causing unnecessary friction when everyone should have full focus on the start of the season. 

I saw on here that GmG was getting access after the Dons or the Villa game.

You’re right about it being farcical tho - and I get the feeling that most of originated on here…….

11 minutes ago, lenred said:

GMG got his interview after the MK Dons game, didn't take long by the look of it ;)

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/every-word-nigel-pearson-said-5696006

15 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

And as for getting O'Dowda to interview Williams...I mean what was that all about?

I thought that was a plus point.  Downsy supported by a footballer made it a good listen imho.  Downsy with the standard questions, Callum and Joe bouncing off each other on the more pure football stuff.  Felt more natural than someone like Downsy having prepared Qs but not being able to react when an answer either covers a later Q, or doesn’t answer the initial one.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I thought that was a plus point.  Downsy supported by a footballer made it a good listen imho.  Downsy with the standard questions, Callum and Joe bouncing off each other on the more pure football stuff.  Felt more natural than someone like Downsy having prepared Qs but not being able to react when an answer either covers a later Q, or doesn’t answer the initial one.

I it was better than when Downsy asked O'Dowda about the kit reveal and his cocking dogs. I just think it's odd having a colleague interviewing another player. I don't think it worked.

I guess ideally you'd have a knowledgeable ex-pro turned journo doing it. Someone who can combine the knowledge of a footballer with the questions of a journalist. Now at our level, and in pre-season, we're not going to get that, but it's something to dream of.

I think if they want to have a players discuss the game amongst themselves, then it would be better as a piece of post-match content where they break down what they tried to do in game.

Generally through, the club produced stuff has improved so far this season, as it has every season for the past few years. I hope they invest in it even more.

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I it was better than when Downsy asked O'Dowda about the kit reveal and his cocking dogs. I just think it's odd having a colleague interviewing another player. I don't think it worked.

I guess ideally you'd have a knowledgeable ex-pro turned journo doing it. Someone who can combine the knowledge of a footballer with the questions of a journalist. Now at our level, and in pre-season, we're not going to get that, but it's something to dream of.

I think if they want to have a players discuss the game amongst themselves, then it would be better as a piece of post-match content where they break down what they tried to do in game.

Generally through, the club produced stuff has improved so far this season, as it has every season for the past few years. I hope they invest in it even more.

You mean, a Geoff Twentyman type…..yep, exactly what’s needed.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You mean, a Geoff Twentyman type…..yep, exactly what’s needed.

Maybe the club could look at Owers to do that type of role? Remote enough from the current crop of players but would have their respect with being an ex pro. 

51 minutes ago, daored said:

Maybe the club could look at Owers to do that type of role? Remote enough from the current crop of players but would have their respect with being an ex pro. 

I don’t think the club should be the ones appointing anyone to a role like twentymans tbh

Hi Gregor, well done again for your q&a. Hope all is well between you and Nige, he is a great character and clearly likes to keep media at arm's length but I hope he realises us fans need and value his comms through yourself. Nothing at risk on that front is there?

Gregor's answer:

As far as I'm aware, no. But ultimately that will depend on Nigel Pearson. I reported recently that he hadn't done any independent media after the Pompey game and I report things like that to keep the pressure on the club to deal fairly with fans and to be transparent (it makes my life harder, in some respects, but it's a price that has to be paid as a journalist). There's not enough transparency in football. Independent media will ask questions that club media won't/are not allowed to.

I completely understand that there is a line to tread in terms of handing the opposition an advantage in terms of information, and also managing the morale of a squad too. And that has to be balanced against supporters' rights to know what's happening at their club.

To be fair to Nigel, he has granted good access previously (including phoning me out of the blue in his first few weeks, and recently inviting us up to watch his training sessions), so I don't think it's a big deal. Plus, Nigel spoke after the MK Dons game. But I will fight for supporters' rights

Good lad ! 

Credit where its due, he doesnt carry his light under a bushell, with the media.

Hes always been pretty surly with these people.

Was watching a podcast yesterday, somebody made the point about wenger.

When he first came he was a gentlemen, with the media.

I didnt see what happened, he always used to say.

That changed, when the gunners started winning nothing.

He even tried to fight alan pardew!

Archived