IGNORED

Bentley

Hampshire reds

4 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

Does anyone have any idea why Dan Bentley has not started at least one of the 2 friendly matches. Seems very strange your No one keeper is on the side lines. does not look injured when he appears in the training videos. massive lose if he is off to pastures new.

Gregor? is that you? 

It could be for numerous reasons;

Minor knock, Pearson wanting to take a proper look at Max, because he needs to be convinced he could step in, maybe there has been an offer.

It will all come out in the wash, as long as he’s playing by Villa it’s a non story.

There really isn't anything to worry about with this. Goalkeeper is such a unique position, you can only play the one at any given time. Pearson won't learn anything by playing Bentley as he knows already what he's got. O'Leary needs the game time more and NP want's to see what his number 2 is all about. Blackpool at home, Bentley starts. 

I think there's an element of pragmatism. Bentley is one of our most saleable assets and we know we need to reduce the wage bill.

I don't necessarily think Bentley is off but I do think Pearson wants to understand what happens if an offer comes in. Can he trust O'Leary to take over as number one or will he need to look at options for a first choice goalkeeper?

56 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

It could be for numerous reasons;

Minor knock, Pearson wanting to take a proper look at Max, because he needs to be convinced he could step in, maybe there has been an offer.

It will all come out in the wash, as long as he’s playing by Villa it’s a non story.

I would bet he has a minor knock/strain. Is training and involved with the group.

Hopefully he plays in one of the 2 friendly games next Tuesday.

These initial pre season games are competitive training sessions.
Pearson will be looking at who he doesn’t need to keep rather than who he does. He already knows Bentley is capable, he needs to look at the other 2. 
same with left back. He knows Dasilva can play there and has been looking at Pring and nurse to see who the best backup can be, with the other one likely to be made a available for loan. 
Look more for the Villa game to be the one which gives you the best idea of the first team squad for Blackpool. Until then, don’t worry. 

1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

Does anyone have any idea why Dan Bentley has not started at least one of the 2 friendly matches. Seems very strange your No one keeper is on the side lines. does not look injured when he appears in the training videos. massive lose if he is off to pastures new.

The asset that will bring us the most ??...

Be crazy to damage him now..

8 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

The asset that will bring us the most ??...

Be crazy to damage him now..

I’d argue if you’re gonna sell you have to sell the player who nets you the most.

Kalas currently on the books for £4m (no idea if sell-on % to Chelsea)

Bentley currently on the books for £1.5m (assumed £3m fee) - say 15% sell on to Brentford 

Semenyo if fit….all profit.

We are in a funny position, that you could sell Kalas for say £5m and it hardly make a positive dent in the budget.

1 minute ago, jayjay said:

If Bentley goes and O'Leary is promoted to our No 1, I would be seriously worried. Apologies to all those on here who rate him so highly simply because "he is one of our own".

Max is probably an “ok” keeper at this level….he’s no Dan Bentley though.  Would weaken us if Bents left.

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I thought Max played well in every game last season. Not many games but he made good saves and looked reliable.

I expect if Bentley is sold then we probably bring in an experienced number 1. But I trust Max whenever he comes into the side.

Not for me JD. Personally looks uncomfortable when a cross comes in. And his kicking is suspect. Would be very worried if we started the season with O Leary in goal 

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

It's a strange one because I've always seen positive comments about Max's distribution on here whenever he's played. It was very bad last game but usually I'd say that's one of his strengths.

He still needs to improve on crosses into the box. Bentley is a bit dodgy at that too. If we have a more dominant defence this season then hopefully it helps whoever in playing in goal.

Fair comment 

As a no2 who’s not expected to play each week, but can fill in for 5-10 games per season he’s fine….and importantly cheap!

In the current climate we can’t afford to bring someone in to be a direct competitor to Bents for the green (black, pink, cyan) jersey.

So I’m comfortable with Max on this basis. Had Maenpaa stayed fit he would’ve been a perfect no2 pushing Bents. 

1 hour ago, jayjay said:

If Bentley goes and O'Leary is promoted to our No 1, I would be seriously worried. Apologies to all those on here who rate him so highly simply because "he is one of our own".

I wouldn’t be seriously worried, but I’d like to see Max improve on his kicking and knowing when he’s got time to take a touch.

Away at Blackburn last season, Max aimlessly kicked the ball first time when receiving a pass, even though he had plenty of time to adjust and see what was available. 

Other than that though, I’d say Max is a steady keeper.

Don't think it needs a new thread but I really like this interview from the keeper today. He had an up and down game, was unlucky with the OG, but got a bit of fortune the other way with his teammates clearing off the line. Made a few regulation saves as well. I thought in general he had a very solid outing today.

And belated congratulations to him on his newborn daughter.

Archived