IGNORED

Bentley

Hampshire reds

4 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Don't think it needs a new thread but I really like this interview from the keeper today. He had an up and down game, was unlucky with the OG, but got a bit of fortune the other way with his teammates clearing off the line. Made a few regulation saves as well. I thought in general he had a very solid outing today.

And belated congratulations to him on his newborn daughter.

A bit unlucky a bit too often for my liking and the confidence of the team - at least max offers lapses of inexperience, Dan offers poor reflexes and anticipation

10 minutes ago, dave36 said:

A bit unlucky a bit too often for my liking and the confidence of the team - at least max offers lapses of inexperience, Dan offers poor reflexes and anticipation

Worst post and opinion I have seen today.

His reflexes and anticipation are excellent and Bentley has a substantial and credible claim to be in the Top 3 keepers in this league.

5 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Perhaps, but honestly I don't know who we could get who would be better at our level. You can look at his statistics yourself but basically he's a top 6 goalkeeper in the Championship. He's not the best in the division, and he's probably not the best goalie we've ever had, but he's right up there.

For example, last season, in that god awful team, he faced the most shots of any keeper in the Championship - 174. He save 117 of those, and that gave him the 4th highest number of saves in the division. Of  course, he did concede the most goals - 62 - but I'll repeat, he faced the most shots of any keeper, and had a defence made of paper in front of him.

Goalkeepers will always make errors, and invariably those errors will be memorable and will often result in conceding a goal. But all do it. Personally I'm delighted to have Bentley supported by O'Leary. Goalie is one position where we have an excellent first choice, plus an able deputy.

2 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

His reflexes and anticipation are excellent and Bentley has a substantial claim to be in the Top 3 keepers in this league.

I'd say top 3 is generous, although maybe now that Begovic has gone back to the Prem he might be a bit higher up the ladder. He's definitely a keeper good enough for a top 6 team.

1 minute ago, Marco the red said:

Every goalkeeper should have excellent reflexes at this level. He is an average champiomship keeper and another one seriously over rated by some pn here. The goal was clanger, you don't jump over the ball like that. will never be a first choice prem keeper.

Respectfully disagree.

Very good shot-stopper, vocal, decent off the deck, street-smart, and our captain. Do not think he is over-rated at all. Could build a case we could have been relegated without him. With an average keeper in goal, we lose 6-2 at Forest last year for a start.

4 minutes ago, Marco the red said:

Every goalkeeper should have excellent reflexes at this level. He is an average champiomship keeper and another one seriously over rated by some pn here. The goal was clanger, you don't jump over the ball like that. will never be a first choice prem keeper.

It’s all about opinions, but with their goal he is going to the left, it takes a big deflection and ends up going under him. Little harsh to say he jumped over it.

25 minutes ago, Marco the red said:

You do realise the “shot” was a cross deflected by Kalas?

Don't get me wrong I like him compared to previous keepers we've had, far superior to the likes of Fielding. Yes forest excellent but absolute howlers e.g Bournemouth, he makes too many of them in my honest opinion. He isnt IMO as good as Maenpaa who was outstanding.

Ahh yes Niki Maenpaa the “outstanding” perennial Number 2 with 230 first team appearances across an 18 year career.

Sorry, no, Bentley is a very very good keeper at this level and much better than Maenpaa who was solid but not in DB’s league.

2 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Ahh yes Niki Maenpaa the “outstanding” perennial Number 2 with 230 first team appearances across an 18 year career.

Sorry, no, Bentley is a very very good keeper at this level and much better than Maenpaa who was solid but not in DB’s league.

I really liked Maenpaa, he was a good “big un”, nothing flashy, and decent with his feet.  At times I felt our CBs felt more confident with Niki in goal.

Just now, TomThumb84 said:

I liked him too, but think Bentley is better and seems to get some bizarre flak on here.

Out of interest, after the Blackpool game someone posted (might’ve been twitter) that if it was Kalas instead of Baker for their goal, the goal doesn’t happen.  Well it did today! ???

Just now, Marco the red said:

Completely irrelevant first paragraph, I'm interested in what people do for Bristol city.

Im interested on what basis you think Maenpaa was “outstanding”, and how you concluded Bentley “jumped over” a heavily deflected strike today rather than mention the two quality saves he made just before half-time.

Oh seriously, 2 outstanding saves get in the bin, every keeper in this league saves those. Watch the replay for yourself and as for Maenpaa you clearly didn't go to games. 

You are clearly upset about Bentley getting stick it's ok don't let it upset you, but you definitely a have a lot to learn.

I said quality saves, and yes I went to games and said Maenpaa was a good keeper.

You are (irrationally and without foundation in my opinion) criticising our captain on a day when we have won a Severnside Derby and should be celebrating, not starting some strange agenda against Dan Bentley.

It has not upset me at all, and I may have a lot to learn but it seems you are a little worked up on this subject so have a lovely rest of the evening/night remember to take off your Niki Maenpaa branded goalkeeper gloves before bed!

All joking aside - relax - today is a good day!

Oh seriously, 2 outstanding saves get in the bin, every keeper in this league saves those. Watch the replay for yourself and as for Maenpaa you clearly didn't go to games. 

You are clearly upset about Bentley getting stick it's ok don't let it upset you, but you definitely a have a lot to learn.

Go to bed little boy.

20 minutes ago, Marco the red said:

You’re a bit patronising for someone who knows **** all about goalkeeping.

10 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

You’re a bit patronising for someone who knows **** all about goalkeeping.

Methinks a few Fosters-tops may have been taken following the glorious win.

I am all about benefit of the doubt for some posters on here these days.

Its the new me. I’ve gone all Nige and considered.

1 hour ago, Marco the red said:

He is a top quality keeper and without him we would be in league one 

The stick he gets on here is ******* disgraceful at times

Makes too many mistakes, same as when he was at Brentford.

Mate you are talking absoulte horseshit and you know it

How can you blame him for Cardiff goal, it was a deflected shot clear into his ******* back

You know nothing about football if you think that's a goalkeeping error

The stats back up what a great keeper he is

He was the 4th best keeper in the championship last season that's not opinion that's fact and the stats back it up

The fact you think nikki maepia the very definition of a number two shows you to have an agenda

Jesus h christ 

7 minutes ago, Marco the red said:

Don't jump over the ball. Very simple.

The only “very simple” thing I can see in this thread is not a made up version of what you saw, but a bit closer to home for you tonight, with this garbage you are coming out with.

Time to give this one up fellow Red, bit of a late night shocker. It happens.

2 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

We've won today and still a scapegoat needs to be found - bizarre behaviour, even if its a ricket on Bentley's part (more unfortunate than a howler I would suggest) we still won so it matters not

The voice of reason arrives from a man (I am assuming) with the profile name of a keeper who rarely made mistakes.

The Leaning/Sinclair days.

Don't even get me started on John Shaw or Keith Waugh.

Great City keepers of the modern days is an interesting topic actually.

Basso, Welch, Heaton, Mercer, there has been a few good ones.

14 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Don't think it needs a new thread but I really like this interview from the keeper today. He had an up and down game, was unlucky with the OG, but got a bit of fortune the other way with his teammates clearing off the line. Made a few regulation saves as well. I thought in general he had a very solid outing today.

And belated congratulations to him on his newborn daughter.

I thought that this was Bentley at his best. He has not been dominant in the box up until yesterday but he was aggressive, confident and positive up against the big lads from Wales.

Well done DB keep it up .

Watched the goal back on Quest late last night.

If any of you have played in goal (I wasn’t a GK but played quite a few games there over the years), you’ll know that the weak spot is that gap close to the sides of your feet.  And that’s where the deflection takes it.

Of course Bentley will be disappointed, but it’s one of those things.  It’s not really an error as such.

@Rich you were a keeper weren’t you?  Do you agree?

6 minutes ago, Marco the red said:

The fact you say he will be "disappointed" emphasises that he should have done better. 

I suspect he is disappointed at every goal he concedes.

You main thrust of this was that “he jumped over the ball”.  I’m pointing out that the where the ball ended up off a deflection found the weak spot for a keeper.

Huge difference.

3 minutes ago, Marco the red said:

So your questioning his decision making then, which I agree with. Stand still and gather the ball, he made the decision to deal with the deflection the wrong way and that cost us.

No I’m not….where did I say or even infer that?  So you have nothing to agree with in my post….because you’re reading something that isn’t there.

“Stand still and gather the ball?” Stand still and let the ball go in, more like.

If he doesn’t get a hand / elbow on it, Baker has no opportunity to clear it….it’s a Kalas og.

My last post on this….thank you for your time.

7 minutes ago, Marco the red said:

So your questioning his decision making then, which I agree with. Stand still and gather the ball, he made the decision to deal with the deflection the wrong way and that cost us.

I'm loathe to get involved here, but as it was me that resurrected the thread I feel some responsibility.

Basically I can't believe how hung up you are on one incident. Every goalie makes errors. Yesterday Ederson knocked the ball back across his goal, almost gifting Arsenal a goal. He got away with that - but a couple of inches another way and he's cost his team. Is he to be pilloried for that? No. You can mention it, but he's a top goalkeeper.

Bentley is the same at our level. No goalie is perfect, just as no other player is perfect. All you can hope for is to have as consistently competent a keeper as you can get for the level you're at.

Right now I struggle to see how we could reasonably improve on Bentley. One small error - that ultimately didn't actually cost us - doesn't change that.

Archived