IGNORED

Bentley

Hampshire reds

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'm loathe to get involved here, but as it was me that resurrected the thread I feel some responsibility.

Basically I can't believe how hung up you are on one incident. Every goalie makes errors. Yesterday Ederson knocked the ball back across his goal, almost gifting Arsenal a goal. He got away with that - but a couple of inches another way and he's cost his team. Is he to be pilloried for that? No. You can mention it, but he's a top goalkeeper.

Bentley is the same at our level. No goalie is perfect, just as no other player is perfect. All you can hope for is to have as consistently competent a keeper as you can get for the level you're at.

Right now I struggle to see how we could reasonably improve on Bentley. One small error - that ultimately didn't actually cost us - doesn't change that.

because there has to be a scapegoat, regardless of actual evidence, stats and facts, there has to be a scapegoat and its ******* perthitic as shown by the posts about it,

Yesterday's goal wasn't a "howler" on Bentley's part.

He was a bit caught out by the deflection and will be disappointed about it, but any goalkeeper is always disappointed any time they concede a goal.

Equally I wouldn't even be harsh on Baker either for kicking it into Bentley. 

Baker is also reacting to the deflection but gets to a covering position. But has to be able to react to it getting past Bentley, or going back into play.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Watched the goal back on Quest late last night.

If any of you have played in goal (I wasn’t a GK but played quite a few games there over the years), you’ll know that the weak spot is that gap close to the sides of your feet.  And that’s where the deflection takes it.

Of course Bentley will be disappointed, but it’s one of those things.  It’s not really an error as such.

@Rich you were a keeper weren’t you?  Do you agree?

Ask Hopesy.

On 29/08/2021 at 10:46, Davefevs said:

Watched the goal back on Quest late last night.

If any of you have played in goal (I wasn’t a GK but played quite a few games there over the years), you’ll know that the weak spot is that gap close to the sides of your feet.  And that’s where the deflection takes it.

Of course Bentley will be disappointed, but it’s one of those things.  It’s not really an error as such.

@Rich you were a keeper weren’t you?  Do you agree?

Sorry for late response Dave, been away.

I was a GK in my younger days and many times as a stand in but, I've always paid special attention to the art of GK. The biggest single factor in being a GK is positioning, I would say Bentley has good positioning.

Yes I do agree, you're on your toes with knees slightly bent, expecting to jump/dive and your feet are not easy to move sideways. The best you can do is move a leg outwards looking stupid in the process. Also played as a striker and found the best place when one on one was close to the legs if they're standing/crouching, as the hands are much easier to react quickly to the flight of the ball, so cover  a wider expanse of area. That latter part is a reason Bentley is good at making reaction saves. 

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Sorry for late response Dave, been away.

I was a GK in my younger days and many times as a stand in but, I've always paid special attention to the art of GK. The biggest single factor in being a GK is positioning, I would say Bentley has good positioning.

Yes I do agree, you're on your toes with knees slightly bent, expecting to jump/dive and your feet are not easy to move sideways. The best you can do is move a leg outwards looking stupid in the process. Also played as a striker and found the best place when one on one was close to the legs if they're standing/crouching, as the hands are much easier to react quickly to the flight of the ball, so cover  a wider expanse of area. That latter part is a reason Bentley is good at making reaction saves. 

Ta, exactly what some of my keeper teammates said….pretty decent ones too!

Archived