IGNORED

Scottish non league

22A

OK, these teams struggle financially any way, but last year was a complete write off for them.

Both the Lowland & Highland Leagues kick off their new season today. There are two new teams in the Lowland League; Celtic B and Rangers B.

That's a useful precedent. If English Prem teams want to play their B teams in the EFL, suggest they play in the National League.

There was mention on here some time back about Fort William FC who lost at least 23 games in each of the last few seasons letting in a minimum of six goals each game. They are still with us and play today. ?

12 minutes ago, 22A said:

OK, these teams struggle financially any way, but last year was a complete write off for them.

Both the Lowland & Highland Leagues kick off their new season today. There are two new teams in the Lowland League; Celtic B and Rangers B.

That's a useful precedent. If English Prem teams want to play their B teams in the EFL, suggest they play in the National League.

There was mention on here some time back about Fort William FC who lost at least 23 games in each of the last few seasons letting in a minimum of six goals each game. They are still with us and play today. ?

I felt sorry for Fort William as I believe they started last season with a win and then the league was suspended! 

I see a lot of new names particularly in the Lowland League which will add interest, I was surprised to see Brechin in Highland League, they must be the most southerly team in that League?

Meanwhile Kelty Hearts who won through into the senior League, seem to be doing very well with a couple of league cup wins. They had an English striker banging in goals for them last season, 47 goals in 33 matches! It will be interesting to see if he continues that at the new level.

Unfortunately Kelty lost 3-2 to Arbroath who are 2 divisions above them, after being 2 up inside the first 30 minutes. Nathan Austin didn't score. They played 4 games in the round robin section and won 2 against teams from their new level (Austin scored 2 in each game), their only other defeat was 1-0 to Premier League Dundee.

Kelty Hearts have decent finance behind them and players that have played at a higher standard like Austin. Expect them to adapt well to the SPFL. Brechin City are indeed the most southerly team in the Highland league. They are located fairly close to Dundee and I'd imagine a fair number of their Highland League fixtures will be 2 hours plus in travelling. 

For anyone who likes a flutter, Dundee FC are 8-1 to finish in the top six this season. They've just been promoted and have Liam Fontaine, ex Liverpool and Stoke midfielder Charlie Adam and ex Forest striker Jason Cummings in their ranks. They've started the season well and could surprise teams and sneak 6th spot.

52 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Kelty Hearts have decent finance behind them and players that have played at a higher standard like Austin. Expect them to adapt well to the SPFL. Brechin City are indeed the most southerly team in the Highland league. They are located fairly close to Dundee and I'd imagine a fair number of their Highland League fixtures will be 2 hours plus in travelling. 

The majority of the entire Scottish League is based on the Edinburgh - Glasgow corridor. Peterhead, Cove Rangers and previously, Elgin and Inverness had worries about the increased travelling when promoted from the Highland League.

Finances aren't that good in our National League, but a few years ago Bath travelled to Gateshead where the attendance was just 900.

8 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

For anyone who likes a flutter, Dundee FC are 8-1 to finish in the top six this season. They've just been promoted and have Liam Fontaine, ex Liverpool and Stoke midfielder Charlie Adam and ex Forest striker Jason Cummings in their ranks. They've started the season well and could surprise teams and sneak 6th spot.

I lived on Tayside for a while in the late 1980s and adopted Dundee as my Scottish team. United were by far the better side then, and had gotten to the UEFA Cup final the previous season. Can’t recall why we chose Dundee but the derbies were always interesting games. The grounds being so close together the crowds were usually about 50/50 at Dens and about 60/40 at Tannadice in terms of support. 

It was a fairly tepid rivalry compared to the Old Firm or even I’d say the Bristol Derby. Attended countless of these matches given they’d meet four times per season in the league and kept drawing each other in one or other of the cups too, and never saw anything approaching trouble - pretty remarkable as especially in the main stand at Dens you’d have rival supporters sat cheek by jowl.

1 hour ago, WessexPest said:

I lived on Tayside for a while in the late 1980s and adopted Dundee as my Scottish team. United were by far the better side then, and had gotten to the UEFA Cup final the previous season. Can’t recall why we chose Dundee but the derbies were always interesting games. The grounds being so close together the crowds were usually about 50/50 at Dens and about 60/40 at Tannadice in terms of support. 

It was a fairly tepid rivalry compared to the Old Firm or even I’d say the Bristol Derby. Attended countless of these matches given they’d meet four times per season in the league and kept drawing each other in one or other of the cups too, and never saw anything approaching trouble - pretty remarkable as especially in the main stand at Dens you’d have rival supporters sat cheek by jowl.

Yes, with the grounds located so close together, the rivalry is not based on geography which has kept it friendlier. Also, whereas Celtic and Hibernian continue to celebrate their Irish Catholic roots, Dundee Hibernian changed their name to Dundee United and ditched their Green jerseys to appeal to the city's Protestants. Therefore, the sectarian nature of the Glasgow and to a lesser degree Edinburgh derby is not there in Dundee. 

In the 80s and 90s, Dundee and Dundee United also had a joint hooligan firm 'Dundee Utility', which allowed them to be able to go toe to toe with the Old Firm, Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs firms.

18 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Yes, with the grounds located so close together, the rivalry is not based on geography which has kept it friendlier. Also, whereas Celtic and Hibernian continue to celebrate their Irish Catholic roots, Dundee Hibernian changed their name to Dundee United and ditched their Green jerseys to appeal to the city's Protestants. Therefore, the sectarian nature of the Glasgow and to a lesser degree Edinburgh derby is not there in Dundee. 

In the 80s and 90s, Dundee and Dundee United also had a joint hooligan firm 'Dundee Utility', which allowed them to be able to go toe to toe with the Old Firm, Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs firms.

Yes, always found the combined hooligan firm amusing. 

There was slight remnants of the Dundee Protestant / United Catholic schism as I’d occasionally see Dundee fans with Union flags although as you say nowhere near on the same scale.

That 17th Century nonsense isn’t ingrained into the culture there like it is in the (West) Central Belt.

6 hours ago, WessexPest said:

Yes, always found the combined hooligan firm amusing. 

There was slight remnants of the Dundee Protestant / United Catholic schism as I’d occasionally see Dundee fans with Union flags although as you say nowhere near on the same scale.

That 17th Century nonsense isn’t ingrained into the culture there like it is in the (West) Central Belt.

Yes, of course Dundee wear dark blue shirts, white shorts and occasionally red socks so the Union colours. I noted last season their away kit was white shirts, blue shorts and red socks. I have seen the Union flag flown at Dundee matches but nowhere near as often as you see it at Hearts and especially Rangers matches,

On 24/07/2021 at 08:51, Port Said Red said:

I was surprised to see Brechin in Highland League, they must be the most southerly team in that League?

A Brechin fan used to post on this forum. Like us, their colours are red & white and they are BCFC causing him to take an interest in us.

On 24/07/2021 at 08:28, 22A said:

Actually IIRC they played 1 game and lost 10-0. It was against Cove who were promoted and FW were down to 10 men. 

Amazingly they didn't finish bottom of the aborted league as another team managed to complete 2 games conceding more than 10 over the 2 games. 

3 hours ago, 22A said:

A Brechin fan used to post on this forum. Like us, their colours are red & white and they are BCFC causing him to take an interest in us.

At least now they`re out of the main leagues it will stop those FFS moments when you look at the Sky vidiprinter without your glasses on.

I don't know what happened tonight but Rangers B were losing 0-3 to the wonderfully named Civil Service Strollers at 60 minutes, but the match was abandoned.

Full house at Dumbartons ground apparently, (c2000), I hope that kind if income gets spread around the league.

28 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't know what happened tonight but Rangers B were losing 0-3 to the wonderfully named Civil Service Strollers at 60 minutes, but the match was abandoned.

Full house at Dumbartons ground apparently, (c2000), I hope that kind if income gets spread around the league.

It finished 3 -1 to the CSS.  There seems to be a glitch in the BBC reporting of the Mini Huns results.  They reported Saturday’s game as being abandoned as well.

On 27/07/2021 at 21:22, Lanterne Rouge said:

At least now they`re out of the main leagues it will stop those FFS moments when you look at the Sky vidiprinter without your glasses on.

Too true. One day City were playing QPR, and I turned the TV on just as Brechin City  0 Queen's Park 3 flashed up!

6 minutes ago, 22A said:

"1-0 down, 2-1 up, Midtjylland (who) knocked Celtic out of the Euro Cup"!

FC Midtjylland have won the Danish Superliga three times in the past 7 years. 

As Denmark are roughly the same size as Scotland, and infinitely more successful internationally, I'm surprised anyone was surprised by their victory over Celtic

49 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

As Denmark are roughly the same size as Scotland, and infinitely more successful internationally, I'm surprised anyone was surprised by their victory over Celtic

Nor with the backing of Benham and Ankersen of Brentford.

18 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

On that same subject, I believe the record for an English 4th tier fixture is something like 48,000 for a Sheffield derby. Amazing to think both Sheffield teams could have fallen that far down the pyramid.

Neither of the Sheffield clubs have played below tier 3.  Could possibly be the record for tier 3?

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

They play another former winner of the European cup, PSV Eindhoven, in the next round.  Will be interesting to see how they go against them.

Archived