IGNORED

Olmpics football

Giving women’s football another go in the Olympics 5 mins gone still not sure first touch is awful so far but I can bout that down to nerves! But I think the commentators are possibly the biggest problem women’s football has, it’s quite patronising simple 10 yard pass from defence to midfield is “another really good pass” still better than Sam Matterface though! 

• The title was changed to Jonathan Pearce commentating on GB game

I don't really watch any women's football beyond England/GB when they're on terrestrial television so I am not the best placed to comment, but I've never really understood why Lucy Bronze has been a dedicated Right Back throughout her career. She's faster, more powerful and probably has more skill (certainly ball control) than pretty much anyone else I have seen. Physically and mentally she's basically a dream box-to-box midfielder as far as I can work out. I know full or wingbacks are regarded as vitally important in the men's game nowadays, but I am not so sure it's quite so crucial in the women's game, though absolutely happy to be put right on that.

It's like Gow or Shelton or Marvin Elliott (errr... let's not talk about that. Forget I mentioned it. Right?) or even Bryan Robson just spent their careers not being able to drive play through the middle, especially against a team like Chile where the step up in power and direct running would probably overwhelm them when we're struggling to break them down for a second.

20 minutes ago, awbb said:

I don't really watch any women's football beyond England/GB when they're on terrestrial television so I am not the best placed to comment, but I've never really understood why Lucy Bronze has been a dedicated Right Back throughout her career. She's faster, more powerful and probably has more skill (certainly ball control) than pretty much anyone else I have seen. Physically and mentally she's basically a dream box-to-box midfielder as far as I can work out. I know full or wingbacks are regarded as vitally important in the men's game nowadays, but I am not so sure it's quite so crucial in the women's game, though absolutely happy to be put right on that.

It's like Gow or Shelton or Marvin Elliott (errr... let's not talk about that. Forget I mentioned it. Right?) or even Bryan Robson just spent their careers not being able to drive play through the middle, especially against a team like Chile were the step up in power and direct running would probably overwhelm them when we're struggling to break them down for a second.

Beautiful. THAT assist makes you .. Well I think its right. Her everything level for me means she should play centrally and do what she wants to get on the ball to create.

• Admin

I know he is a City fan, but I can't stand Jonathan Pearce as a commentator, he rambles on about so much rubbish and agree with the above that some of the comments are really disrespectful, especially as he is always commentating on womens games

As for the game, I only saw the last hour but the GB side have played well.

The second goal by Ellen White was real quality

I really struggle with womens football as I cannot tell if it is any good or not. To elaborate, I am always comparing it to the game that I am used to watching - the mens game.

For example there are those who will tell me that Ellen White’s second was good whereas I thought it was a weak effort into the middle of the goal that should have been easily saved.

I would like womens football to be a success but in order to do so it needs to be treated as a completely different product to the mens game and the variables changed for more entertaining viewing. For example, smaller pitches, smaller goals, 3 x 25 minute thirds for a match….

Interest and peoples time and money -will which is limited - will never go into something that is treated the same, but is ultimately so inferior to another product that it is naturally trying to be compared to. As it stands, unless someone has an emotional or sentimental attachment to womens football then it is hard to see where the audience is coming from and that is unfair.

5 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I now remember why I do not watch women's football...........and these are the best 11-18 lady footballers in Great Britain?   I assure you I am not being sexist.........I have given it a chance, but it's just dull.  ?

In fairness, some Men's football can be deadly dull as well. See Bristol City for most of last season, for example.

30 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

That ellen white certainly likes scoring goals, can we get her up front next season?

Yeah, let's see how many she can score against blokes who can actually play in goal, are 6'3" plus and don't get beaten from distance by shots a yard either side of them and two yards over their head..........

32 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Yeah, let's see how many she can score against blokes who can actually play in goal, are 6'3" plus and don't get beaten from distance by shots a yard either side of them and two yards over their head..........

I think he was joking mate. 

I did see the first game with Team GB vs Chile in the women's football on Thursday.
I'll be watching their game against Japan which kicks off at 11:30 this morning.

I haven't seen any of the other men's or women's football games but have seen some highlights.

Archived