IGNORED

Bristol City v Mk Dons

Just now, billywedlock said:

Another good training session. You can start to see how we intend to play , and also why we have not been signing lots of young players, we have many already at the club. Going to be very interesting to watch them develop over the next few seasons. 2 weeks to go until we see the real deal. 

Agreed. If expectations are managed well,  if we’ve ditched the overpromising and under delivering that was the hallmark of the old regime, and if we can be patient,  it could be an exciting few years watching this side grow. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Agreed. If expectations are managed well,  if we’ve ditched the overpromising and under delivering that was the hallmark of the old regime, and if we can be patient,  it could be an exciting few years watching this side grow. 

Oh I hope you are right but we have been here before "with a talented group of youngsters coming through" it nearly always seems to end up with half of them being poached and us having to start yet again, let's hope your right and this time it's different. 

Edited by pillred
Add comment
  • Robin 1

29 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Who's ready for their 'breakthrough' season then?

I'll say Janneh, Nurse, Scott and Benarous, maybe Conway as well.

Scott & Bell. Both intended to be right in amongst it this season from what I’ve heard. Maybe Benarous but think he may be on the outskirts. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Scott & Bell. Both intended to be right in amongst it this season from what I’ve heard. Maybe Benarous but think he may be on the outskirts. 

I agree that Scott and Bell should get good game time this season.

But I'd also add Conway - give him another few games and he'll be scoring regularly imo. Those three are just about ready imo.

Benarous, his time will come.

Janneh is still very raw and I don't see him as a regular first teamer at the moment. He's had some injuries which has held him back tbf, but he needs a bit more time imo. I think Pearson also needs a bit more time, the talent is there.

Nice to see these younger players coming through.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

But I'd also add Conway - give him another few games and he'll be scoring regularly imo. Those three are just about ready imo.

Janneh is still very raw and I don't see him as a regular first teamer at the moment. He's had some injuries which has held him back tbf, but he needs a bit more time imo. I think Pearson also needs a bit more time, the talent is there.

Louis Britton has been injured. He will be looking toward some first tam action. If I remember correctly he scored our last EFL goal!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Might just of been me but I thought the younger players always tried to play the ball on the floor today which was great to see after a season of hoofing it to the opposition 

Perhaps not having a big target man up front helped.

• Like 1

Just listened to the joe williams interview, great to have him back, but hes clearly suggesting theres some confusion regarding the press, and whether we are all in, or going in 1s and 2s. Is this not something that should have been implemented back when pearson came in? 

4 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Just listened to the joe williams interview, great to have him back, but hes clearly suggesting theres some confusion regarding the press, and whether we are all in, or going in 1s and 2s. Is this not something that should have been implemented back when pearson came in? 

I didn't think it sounded like it was confusion? Thought he just said how the midfield were pressing. He said it's good we set it up in the right way and when they went, most of the time they went together.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

I think at this point I’d prefer keeping conway and sending bell out on loan. Alex Scott should be bench kids class 

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I didn't think it sounded like it was confusion? Thought he just said how the midfield were pressing. He said it's good we set it up in the right way and when they went, most of the time they went together.

Hmm, well the number of games williams has played he can be excusedfor being out of step, but we cant be going into league games with that not being razor sharp.

1 hour ago, M.D said:

Agree, we have a very good crop of youth players coming through, Conway looks good but for me Alex Scott is first team ready. He looks a real talent.

Those are the two I’m most excited about too, but generally like all of them, just those two impress me the most.

Janneh has jumped out of the pack a bit too playing left side.  Raw in a different way to Semenyo, but he’s very confident.

11 minutes ago, mozo said:

I missed the game, would anyone care to summarise?

PS I have read the thread but that doesn't give the most coherent summary!

Won’ summarise per se, but today I saw the birth of a press against the type of back 4 buildup style we might see throughout this campaign.

We lined up 442, Conway partnering Wells with Pearson and Janneh right and left of Nagy and Williams.

First 5/6 minutes MK played it around nicely, but then we saw that when they tried to play out through the back 4 into midfield (no8 and Twine) we dropped Conway in front of the DM to cut his passing lane.

Normally that would leave the other striker Isolated against two CBs, doing ‘doggies’ (in Fam’s case hands on hips), but Wells saw Pearson and Janneh join him inside of their starting wing positions, half engaging their opposition full-backs, half ready to pounce on the keeper or CB bad touch. Wells triggering it.

It meant Nagy and Williams could pick off balls played beyond the MK midfield, and not get picked off individually. Worth listening to Williams post match interview.

As a front 6 we did force lots of turnovers against the best passing team in Lg1 last season.

That’s what I enjoyed today. Work to do on our own phases, but today I got the sense Nige has had them working on defensive shape as a priority. Wells and / or Weimann could play key roles. You can see why Nige wants energy. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

I think he’s suggesting they are trying to fine tune it.  I thought it was bloody good. 

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, mozo said:

I missed the game, would anyone care to summarise?

PS I have read the thread but that doesn't give the most coherent summary!

First half looked like they were going through training exercises, maintaining shape and letting MK have the ball without really having anything dangerous, then we started pressing high up, we caused lot's of problems to their backline and especially the keeper. We won the ball back before the halfway line about halfway through the half and Janneh or their player bundled in a low cross from the right at the back post. I can't say for sure who else was involved due to a very wet camera lens. :) 

2nd half we imposed ourselves a lot more, Nagy played about 10 metres further forward and we kept them pinned back for periods, then we scored a very good 2nd goal which @Davefevs has described well on an earlier post. Then we overturned the ball on the edge of the area and Wells had a simple finish from Conway's pass. Scott and Benarous came on looked good, we had a very young team for the last 20. Bent's made a hash of a clearance to gift them a consolation goal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Conway has the look of a natural finisher to me.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Agree, and also an element of them learning a new approach. That will only improve over time , and when the players can fully understand each other . Looks like we are going to be defensively quite compact and disciplined , and will press with the right triggers to create breakdowns in play. Hence the need for some fitness improvements. I have a feeling we will be an improving side this year , we just need to get points on the board to create some confidence. I am very impressed with the group today and their attitude and approach. All changes when points are a stake , but you can see the buds of our future approach. 

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

Pearson seems to have made fitness a priority ( hardly surprising after last season’s emergency ward 10 shambles) but you can see that if he is employing a pressing game then high levels of fitness is essential to sustain it through the game. It will also give players greater energy - which they showed today and which was sadly lacking for far too much of last season.

Edited by downendcity
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Pearson seems to have made fitness a priority ( hardly surprising after last season’s emergency ward 10 shambles) but you can see that if he is employing a pressing game then high levels of fitness is essential to sustain it through the game. It will also give players greater energy - which they showed today and which was sadly lacking for far too much of last season.

Not defending the debacle of last season but we need to remember many of the players in the team for last quarter of the season were playing injured to varying degrees.

I think the "lack of effort" angle is overplayed at times - IMO.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Conway has the look of a natural finisher to me.

This is probably me being a bit odd (very rare, I know...), but there's something about Conway looks-wise that reminds me of a young Alan Shearer, and now in my mind I want him to be the new Alan Shearer!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Louis Britton has been injured. He will be looking toward some first tam action. If I remember correctly he scored our last EFL goal!

Not so sure about him. Was the last one involved last season. About the only one that didn’t get a new contract. He put himself about and scored but didn’t see it the way you saw it early from Conway and Scott imo. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

True and we made it to the old First Division with them. 

There is always the exception, I'm wondering if we could keep a team of talented young players with us for long enough to make it again, the odds are against it, you just have to see how many of our promising players have left us for clubs arguably no bigger than us that get parachute payments, it's going to be hard for us going forward, we have to hope though don't we.