IGNORED

What midfield would you start?

mightyreds89

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If fit, I'd like to see

James - Williams

Weimann - Massengo - Semenyo

Definitely a case to play that CAM role, but Massengo there intrigues me. 

I agree I’d like to see Massengo there that said Palmer has been very sharp in pre season. 

Whilst AS not fit I think we’d have to play COD there for some natural pace. 

9 minutes ago, mightyreds89 said:

I agree I’d like to see Massengo there that said Palmer has been very sharp in pre season. 

Whilst AS not fit I think we’d have to play COD there for some natural pace. 

Yeah I wouldn't complain about Palmer playing there. He's obviously very gifted and on top form would be really effective. Think Massengo has the potential to make the position his own though if it's part of the plan to try him there. 

James - Nagy

Weimann - Palmer - O'Dowda

I'd not play much Williams at the beginning of the season (caution after his injury problems), and alternate Weimann and Semenyo when both will be available (same reason). If Adam were sold, I'd start with Massengo.

Depends who is fit.

Today was Williams’ first 45 minutes in absolutely ages, HNM appears to have a knock, too.

James is a cert, if the 2 above aren’t fit enough to start (or last 90) in a fortnight I’d go James, Nagy & King.

32 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Kante  Fabinho

Salah   De Bruyne   Foden

Can we bid for any of those? 

*Edit anyone who puts in O’Dowda should get 40 lashes 

Interesting to see if COD starts for Pearson as he has started most games when fit for every club and international manager he’s played under I think. 

I saw today as 4 midfielders (2 central / 2 wide) and 2 strikers.  As for the MKD MTD what I saw after about 5 mins was the change / getting their heads around stopping MK playing out through their midfield.

You could argue that in reality we played a 4213 when MK tried to play out from their keeper.

Williams / Nagy

Conway ⬆️

Pearson ➡️ / Wells / ⬅️ Janneh

That press pleased me the most, and you could easily see O’Dowda coming in for Janneh, and Weimann for Pearson.  God knows who will partner Matty James?

I keep saying it, Conway is mature beyond his years in his appreciation of the team game.  His dropping in on Kasuma (8) or Twine (9) was a fundamental success for the other 5 players around him.

But the other thing is that it’s a two striker system, Conway able to do the above, but also play alongside Wells when we have the ball.  If we have to go back to front in games we have two out-balls.  That gives defenders something to think about….and another player to stay back.  2v3 on a break seems more potential than 1v2.

Whether this is Nige starting to drill how we are gonna play I don’t know, or is he still giving players minutes.

Interesting that O’Dowda said he’d had a tough training session in the morning.  It seems that Nige and Rennie are treating pre-season very differently to how most of us expect it to go.  Callum may have had a slight niggle.  The temptation might’ve been to play him today, instead he’s training.

Back to the OP, assuming he’s fit, Matty James and 5 others in front of a back 4.

I thought Zak did fine today, but Simpson looked good.

For me, Massengo has to play. Be playing him and James together. James is very vocal and will organise from there which will be vital imo. 

Nagy would suit playing in the way we have been playing in preseason. Williams I know has a good reputation but bit behind the 3 I mentioned for now. 

Too many still. Be ideal to raise some funds by selling one. My early starting XI would be

Bentley

Simpson Kalas Atkinson Dasilva

Pearson James Massengo COD

Weimann Wells

That can turn into the 4231 with Weimann being a link. Pearson is growing on me. 

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I saw today as 4 midfielders (2 central / 2 wide) and 2 strikers.  As for the MKD MTD what I saw after about 5 mins was the change / getting their heads around stopping MK playing out through their midfield.

You could argue that in reality we played a 4213 when MK tried to play out from their keeper.

Williams / Nagy

Conway ⬆️

Pearson ➡️ / Wells / ⬅️ Janneh

That press pleased me the most, and you could easily see O’Dowda coming in for Janneh, and Weimann for Pearson.  God knows who will partner Matty James?

I keep saying it, Conway is mature beyond his years in his appreciation of the team game.  His dropping in on Kasuma (8) or Twine (9) was a fundamental success for the other 5 players around him.

But the other thing is that it’s a two striker system, Conway able to do the above, but also play alongside Wells when we have the ball.  If we have to go back to front in games we have two out-balls.  That gives defenders something to think about….and another player to stay back.  2v3 on a break seems more potential than 1v2.

Whether this is Nige starting to drill how we are gonna play I don’t know, or is he still giving players minutes.

Interesting that O’Dowda said he’d had a tough training session in the morning.  It seems that Nige and Rennie are treating pre-season very differently to how most of us expect it to go.  Callum may have had a slight niggle.  The temptation might’ve been to play him today, instead he’s training.

Back to the OP, assuming he’s fit, Matty James and 5 others in front of a back 4.

I thought Zak did fine today, but Simpson looked good.

This is what has impressed me most and made me believe he can can play a part this season. His pressing is calculated and he knows when to go. Each time he left their DM to press the back line, he made sure one of AN or JW(or Alex Scott second half) pushed with him and to cut that out ball, before committing. 

…. His finishing isn’t bad either ?

I've always had a preference for a 3, but when Palmer scored his goal vs Portsmouth...maybe.

The young players have also shown some good things in pre-season too...James and Williams are a must, Weimann and Semenyo, with O'Dowda also an option in wide forward/midfield type areas don't mind- Palmer will he kick on or tactically how will he be over a long Championship season? Don't have to play exactly the same way every game- could have dependent on opposition James and Williams as the base and one of Nagy, Bakinson, Massengo and King- and vs maybe lesser oppositon, Palmer, as the third man- mix and match a bit but within largely the same framework.

As for the younger players, who we started to see at the back end of last season- how many are now good to go at Championship level and how many still need development loans for say the next 2 years? Plenty of promise but it's a big ask, a tough League...

I do think James is a guaranteed starter going forward. As is Williams imo, it just depends what formation Nige wants to go with.

James    Williams

Palmer

Wells          Weimann

?

7 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Interesting to see if COD starts for Pearson as he has started most games when fit for every club and international manager he’s played under I think. 

With the likes of LJ, Holden, Appleton etc. I don’t think that says too much

James (nailed on starter) - Williams or Nagy

Massengo   -  Palmer   -   Semenyo (if fit) or Weimann

Wells

Alex Scott on the bench with Andy King & COD.

We certainly have an overload of options for midfield.

10 hours ago, mightyreds89 said:

In our first league match if we go with Pearson’s preferred 4-2-3-1? 

I’m truly struggling to get the right balance?! 

James     Massengo/Nagy

Weimann     Palmer     ODowda

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

If we go into the season with James, Williams, Nagy, King, Massengo and Bakinson. Then I think that will mean one or maybe two of those will be used in other roles and not in the 2 in front of the defence. Because there is no way we need 6 competing for 2 places.

Nagy sold and Bakinson loan ?

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Mick McCarthy as well. These managers can’t all be wrong and some people on a forum be right 

Can I draw your attention to forum rule 1.10 (a), which  states that forum posters will always be right, even if their opinion is the polar opposite of that of football professionals possessed of far greater knowledge, experience and ability.

FACT!

During last season I read many posts on here suggesting that we get rid of the likes of HNM, Nagy, Bakinson, COD and KP as being just not good enough for us. How many were calling for us to cut our losses and not offer a new contract to Andi “he just runs around a lot” Weimann?

Now it seems that posters are trying to find a way of accommodating some or all of them. 

It’s a funny old game, isn't it? :) 

20 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Can I draw your attention to forum rule 1.10 (a), which  states that forum posters will always be right, even if their opinion is the polar opposite of that of football professionals possessed of far greater knowledge, experience and ability.

FACT!

I was going to say you were wrong, and that I disagree. But the FACT you ended your post with FACT means it is, indeed, FACT and cannot be disputed. 

FACT 

giphy.gif

Archived