IGNORED

What midfield would you start?

mightyreds89

As some will be aware, I don’t really subscribe to a “best eleven”, and there may be a myriad of reasons why the team that lines up v Blackpool might not be the best or the one we see more regularly as the season progresses.  Form, injury, suspension, rest and rotation will all play their part.

I look at most posters teams and could get my head around them in one-off games, and for me that’s the big plus.  There are a mix of players of very similar ability, where as long as they understand the system and their role in that system, it shouldn’t affect how we play.  All suggested teams have their merits.  In midfield, one persons Bakinson, is another’s Nagy, etc.  It’s why it’s a squad game these days imho.  For me the importance is getting everyone to understand and be able to play the way Nige wants.

I think we have a few players who are “better” than the rest, not my much, and if push comes to shove, would get the nod most weeks….they are my key players:

• Bentley
  • Kalas
  • James
  • Weimann
  • Wells

Dont expect everyone to agree with those 5, but if fit I think they start most weeks, in Kalas and Bentley’s case, every week if possible.  James will need rest and rotation in the midfield, Weimann we will need to be mindful of his ACL, and Wells may depend on whether he’s on song or not.

Dasilva, is probably key too, but more from the fact we don’t have another LB at his level.

There will be one or two who fall by the wayside over the coming weeks, maybe more up to Xmas.  If we can beat FGR, we have 7 games in August….expect there will be a real mix of minutes…but maybe the semblance of who is gonna more game time than others.

Finally, I get the feeling that Nige is going 442, albeit as per my MKD thread post, it relies on fluidity.  I think he realises he hasn’t gone a one-up-top striker, so is adapting to playing two, where one will be expected to press the CBs, whilst the other drops in to pick up the opposition DM(s).  I don’t see the two CMs as “holding”.  We saw Nagy get into advanced positions yesterday.  I’ve seen Williams be more box-to-box at Wigan.  James bursting forward v Pompey.  It’s not just gonna be screening the 2 CBs.  I’m quite encouraged by this because I think it allows each of our midfielders to come in and out as needed.  That 442 will morph into a 4213 much easier in a higher press of a back 4 that other initial setups.  Keen to see how it works against a back 3 / 5.  That will be my confirmation (or not) of how we will play this season.

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I was going to say you were wrong, and that I disagree. But the FACT you ended your post with FACT means it is, indeed, FACT and cannot be disputed. 

FACT 

giphy.gif

This!  

:D

Archived