IGNORED

70 pence admission in the East end!

forbespm

I remember when I was a schoolboy and paying 70p to get in the East end.I was earning£5 a week on my paperound and could easily afford football.

Blackpool fans are outraged that it's going to cost them £33 to watch there team at Ashton gate!

Just had a look at ticket prices and city looks very expensive.

It's not cheap to be a football fan in this day and age,season tickets are the way to go for home fans but away fans are fleeced!

Am I right that the Premier League has a maximum cost for away fan tickets?  I seem to have seen something that it was £30 max.  I may be wrong?

Surely the Championship should have the same thing.

I remember a friend went to a game at West Brom 2/3 years ago when they were still in the Prem - and their ticket cost £18 - and it was a good seat, a third of the way back, on the side, level with the Penalty area.

Clubs need to price games more appropriately!

25 minutes ago, forbespm said:

I remember when I was a schoolboy and paying 70p to get in the East end.I was earning£5 a week on my paperound and could easily afford football.

Blackpool fans are outraged that it's going to cost them £33 to watch there team at Ashton gate!

It's not cheap to be a football fan in this day and age,season tickets are the way to go for home fans but away fans are fleeced!

If that was 1970 then you were earning the equivalent of £79 on your paperound, 70p works out as £11.07 today. 

You can see where inflation is and isn't in those numbers. 

Obviously football is a far nicer experience these days but is it nearly 3x as nice? 

37 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

Am I right that the Premier League has a maximum cost for away fan tickets?  I seem to have seen something that it was £30 max.  I may be wrong?

Surely the Championship should have the same thing.

I remember a friend went to a game at West Brom 2/3 years ago when they were still in the Prem - and their ticket cost £18 - and it was a good seat, a third of the way back, on the side, level with the Penalty area.

Clubs need to price games more appropriately!

Will only happen when they pay players appropriately i.e. likely never!

My schoolboy enclosure season ticket was £10 ( I thought each game was 50p at the turnstile?). You could sit on the wall by the touch line and run onto the pitch at the end. At the same time my Somerset junior membership was £10 a season. Went to the Weston festival for 7 days in a row and some weekends in August all I did was watch live sport. £20 every 12 months ! My paper round was £2.50 a week but when I graduated to the mushroom farm I earned £13.50 or so every weekend. Soppy nostalgia, yes, but I thought of this when I paid 940 euros face value for 1 Euro final ticket. And it was a savvy investment by City, because in 1982 the wheels fell off, and it was those of us that had caught the bug at 50p a game that stuck with the club during the darkest of times.

1 hour ago, forbespm said:

I remember 50p, 90p and £1.10 - happy days at a wonderful old, proper football stadium ...

1 hour ago, forbespm said:

70p to get in! I can remember when I used to leave home with a farthing, travel by bus, buy a programme and a pie, come home by bus and still have change. 

• SC&T Board Members
1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Didn’t ‘Twenty (£) is Plenty’ emanate from the Premier League?

The 'Twenty's Plenty' campaign is one run by the Football Supporters' Association (formerly Federation). It in turn was inspired by a campaign in Germany called 'Kein Zwanni fuer 'n Steher', which can be loosely translated as 'No to twenty for standing'.

While the FSA has not yet been able to assert itself in respect of a £20 cap on away tickets, the Premier League has for several seasons now capped away prices at £30.

Evidently BCFC think the football at AG is worth more to visiting fans than a game in the PL.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

40p in the schoolboy’s enclosure (none of that gender neutral stuff back in 1976) to watch top flight football.

No one will beat that.

40p! they must have seen you coming, when I started going with my uncle in 1968 he paid 2s/6p and my child's ticket was 1s/6p (7 and a half new pence) by the time I was paying adult prices in 1972 it was an outrageous 30p beat that! (and no I used to climb over the park end wall for nothing :laugh:.)

8 hours ago, forbespm said:

And you used to bring the Players No.6 as I recall...?

8 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Didn’t ‘Twenty (£) is Plenty’ emanate from the Premier League?

That, like all seated stadia, was a recommendation of that Taylor report. For some reason, clubs didn't adopt that one and the league did not enforce it.

Open End 1968 - 69 was 2/6 (12.5p) for under 16s, 5 bob (25p) for over 16s. 

Then the prices started rising an in 1972 as a 17 year old, my first job paid £510 / year, yes less than £10 / week. Living at home was essential.

7 hours ago, pillred said:

40p! they must have seen you coming, when I started going with my uncle in 1968 he paid 2s/6p and my child's ticket was 1s/6p (7 and a half new pence) by the time I was paying adult prices in 1972 it was an outrageous 30p beat that! (and no I used to climb over the park end wall for nothing :laugh:.)

44 minutes ago, 22A said:

Open End 1968 - 69 was 2/6 (12.5p) for under 16s, 5 bob (25p) for over 16s. 

Then the prices started rising an in 1972 as a 17 year old, my first job paid £510 / year, yes less than £10 / week. Living at home was essential.

1/11 for 10 cigs or a pint (10p), 4/11 (25p) for a gallon of petrol... not a litre... and less than a fiver for ST in the new dolman.... I believe and 77/6 for my first weeks wage at Parnells Fishponds

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

40p in the schoolboy’s enclosure (none of that gender neutral stuff back in 1976) to watch top flight football.

No one will beat that.

Sorry to disappoint, in 1966 you could watch Tottenham for 10p (boys entrance ) and go anywhere in the ground, full price was 20p and seats behind the goal were 40p.

" Who would have thought fifty years ago we'd all be sitting here drinking Chateau de Chassilier wine?"

image.jpeg.1f18db5476b68c75c6f26512f7354b99.jpeg

52 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

1/11 for 10 cigs or a pint (10p), 4/11 (25p) for a gallon of petrol... not a litre... and less than a fiver for ST in the new dolman.... I believe and 77/6 for my first weeks wage at Parnells Fishponds

I worked in a petrol station in 1970 and four star was 6/8 a gallon, two star 6/3.  If you wanted three star, we just did half and half.  A pint in the Horse & Groom in 1970, just before decimalisation, was 1/10.

Full student grant was £480 a year in 1972.  No fees, no loans, no debts, nothing.

I can't remember prices to be honest as my dad would have paid most of the time. I do remember in the first couple of years when I was around 4 or 5, being squeezed through the same turnstile slot as him or my brother if he was home on leave.

I also remember days of playing football in the park, in the days when the draw of playing was sometimes greater than watching. Working out the score from the crowd noise, (Loud cheers for City goals, mostly muffled ones and some boos for opposition ones) and then going over to the ground "for the last 20", with your ball tucked under your arm. The big gates would open to let early leavers get out and we would head in. :) Sometimes, we would get to see the only goals in the game, some great comebacks or disappointments.

11 hours ago, forbespm said:

Dolman Centre - £39....

Lansdown Centre - £43.

It's too much money....

11 hours ago, forbespm said:

I'm not really sure why Blackpool fans would be "outraged" at £33.

Their own home match day prices range from £28/30 to well over £40 (more in the most expensive blocks) 

Football isn't cheap, we know that. 

Our prices aren't way out of line with any/most other clubs as far as I can see. 

They want to be thankful that they aren't off to Leeds or Sheffield Wednesday, who really did push the limits on ticket pricing. 

Archived