IGNORED

Super Computer Championship Predictions

supercidered

6 minutes ago, supercidered said:

I know it's a load of old guff. However, I feel 20th seems a bit tight. Maybe that's where we are just now though!

Four Four Two has us finishing 21st , difficult to argue with our form being so poor for a while now 

Seems obvious that that is around where we are to me. We were lucky not to get relegated last season - we have reduced the size of the squad but added some quality but aging quality. This season is all about those senior players teaching the younger player what it takes to win at this level and embedding the method. 

6 minutes ago, daored said:

Four Four Two has us finishing 21st , difficult to argue with our form being so poor for a while now 

If we are bumping around 20th / 21st then it's going to be a scary season. Too close for comfort. Shows how bad things were allowed to get and just hope NP can build again. Strap yourselves in it's going to be a bumpy ride!

16 minutes ago, supercidered said:

I know it's a load of old guff. However, I feel 20th seems a bit tight. Maybe that's where we are just now though!

This "super computer" also predicted Czech Replublic v Denmark as the Euro final.

Also Bournemouth and Swansea to be promoted last season with Derby and Birmingham relegated.

32 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

Those predictions are just what we need, the rest of the Championship won’t know what’s hit them when we are fully fit and organised ??  

Now I'm not saying we are massive but lets not pretend we are some small fish anymore. We're a very well respected championship side and supporters of other clubs will be more shocked to see us finish 20th than 6th. I'm not saying we'll get play offs, in fact I'm not expecting to see us getting top half however nobody will be surprised if we do. Which is credit to how far we've come, just need to get it right now. This season is still damage repair for me, I'll be happy if we play decent football, win more than we lose and stay up comfortably. Next season we'll hopefully have a bit more cash to spend and Nige can give it a real go for promotion. 

So difficult to guess how we are going to go this year.

Lost a lot of players, including our top scorer for the past few years.
Ended last year in abject form and even a new manager struggling to sort it out.
3rd Manager in a short space of time.
Very little money to spend in a weird market.
History of shocking fitness & injuries.

But then;
New Manager who has focus and has already highlighted certain things that contributed to last years problems.
He's also pretty straight forward in what we needed.
Fitness levels should be massively better than last year, injuries will improve too as a result.
We have hopefully got a few leaders into the squad and that mentality will help.
The young players will be better for last years experience.
The squad should be a little more balanced and less crowded and muddled.

You could probably argue for us to finish anywhere from 6th to 24th. I personally think around mid table feels right, we could do with a good start to wash away the memories of last year, but as it stands I think Nige will get a bit more out of the team than last year. 

Oh, and ..

59 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

This "super computer" also predicted Czech Replublic v Denmark as the Euro final.

Also Bournemouth and Swansea to be promoted last season with Derby and Birmingham relegated.

I still hold out hope Derby will be relegated ?

Pleased we're expected to struggle. Adds incentive and means we'll have the right attitude. Can see us surprising a few teams. 

First thing any manager should do is improve what is in situ. He's clearly going down the path of having experience showing youth the way which seems a sensible initial approach given what we have.

1 hour ago, supercidered said:

If we are bumping around 20th / 21st then it's going to be a scary season. Too close for comfort. Shows how bad things were allowed to get and just hope NP can build again. Strap yourselves in it's going to be a bumpy ride!

Nah it will be a top eight finish for me. Any gurus on here that are good on spread sheets can put out a post on what we all predict, like the other one where which celebrities are going to kick the bucket.

2 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Pleased we're expected to struggle. Adds incentive and means we'll have the right attitude. Can see us surprising a few teams. 

First thing any manager should do is improve what is in situ. He's clearly going down the path of having experience showing youth the way which seems a sensible initial approach given what we have.

And you dont think NP is all ready doing this ?

To be honest, a good season for us would probably be around 15th, bearing in mind form (yes different season but still) and the relatively young squad we seem to be going with. 

If we have a good run up to Christmas, then the January transfer window could be interesting especially if we can add one or two good signings, but we need to be in a decent position/form for that to happen.

The Pearson effect, added with a good run, could prove to be a very enticing proposition to someone looking for a new club. That being said, the Pearson effect didn't make a huge difference last season, but there was a lot of unhappy/uninterested players here.

Personally, 18th - 15th going into Christmas wouldn't be a huge disaster considering last season, and at times it won't be pretty. 

If we were somehow able to get a really good quality signing or two in before the end of this window (permanent/loan), I think we could be mid table easily. At the moment, I think we're still a bit short in terms of both numbers and quality though.

2 hours ago, Pezo said:

This season is all about those senior players teaching the younger player what it takes to win at this level and embedding the method. 

This season is all about the senior players staying fit and available. Because if they don't, we're done for.

Kalas has a history of injuries. Ditto Baker. Ditto James. Dasilva has never played a full season. Weimann and Martin returning from long term injuries. Simpson and King haven't been a first choice pick for anyone since who knows when. Williams hasn't played for... how long???

Even if we have a regulation number of injuries, to a regulation number of players, who are sidelined for  a regulation period of time, if it happens to any of this lot - one or two in particular - we'll be struggling.  

1 hour ago, supercidered said:

This same computer says that the relegated sides will finish top 3 and the promoted sides will finish bottom 3. Like I said at the start, a load of guff but I just thought 20th is a bit too close to the trap door for me. I don't know if my nerves could take it!

You don’t need a supercomputer to work out that sides with parachute payments have a huge advantage & in most recent seasons 2/3 promoted sides go back down.

Pretty sure the year before last all 3 did & last season it was 2/3 with Coventry pretty close to it.

Predicting the next Barnsley or side on the slide (us, last season) is far tougher.

If we finish above 14th we’ll have done well.

@Merrick's Marvels bit harsh on Kalas, his last 4 seasons;

47, 24, 46 & 39 appearances, pretty decent.

1 hour ago, Taz said:

To be honest, a good season for us would probably be around 15th, bearing in mind form (yes different season but still) and the relatively young squad we seem to be going with. 

If we have a good run up to Christmas, then the January transfer window could be interesting especially if we can add one or two good signings, but we need to be in a decent position/form for that to happen.

The Pearson effect, added with a good run, could prove to be a very enticing proposition to someone looking for a new club. That being said, the Pearson effect didn't make a huge difference last season, but there was a lot of unhappy/uninterested players here.

Personally, 18th - 15th going into Christmas wouldn't be a huge disaster considering last season, and at times it won't be pretty. 

If we were somehow able to get a really good quality signing or two in before the end of this window (permanent/loan), I think we could be mid table easily. At the moment, I think we're still a bit short in terms of both numbers and quality though.

I’d take 18th right now if offered to me. Our main goal should’ve achieving the 55ish point mark ASAP.

It’s easy to forget after last season that for several years in a row now we’ve been solid top half material.

Holden was a mistake. Andy Rolls was a mistake. Ashton also now history.

This feels like a fresh start season - but a large core of the squad that had us up near the top is still here. If you say a team of:

Bentley - Dasilva - Simpson - Kalas - Baker - Nagy - Williams - James - Weimann - Wells - Martin and then add in Palmer, King, Semenyo, COD, Vyner, Atkinson, Massengo, Bakinson…

I think there is some quality there if they can stay fit, motivated. That is a top half team IMO under the right organisation and management. 

What remains to be seen is how the next line of players, the youngsters, step up. Clearly some exciting talent coming through but as we saw at the end of last season, we don’t want to be relying on them for too much of the season too soon.

1 minute ago, Alessandro said:

It’s easy to forget after last season that for several years in a row now we’ve been solid top half material.

Holden was a mistake. Andy Rolls was a mistake. Ashton also now history.

This feels like a fresh start season - but a large core of the squad that had us up near the top is still here. If you say a team of:

Bentley - Dasilva - Simpson - Kalas - Baker - Nagy - Williams - James - Weimann - Wells - Martin and then add in Palmer, King, Semenyo, COD, Vyner, Atkinson, Massengo, Bakinson…

I think there is some quality there if they can stay fit, motivated. That is a top half team IMO under the right organisation and management. 

What remains to be seen is how the next line of players, the youngsters, step up. Clearly some exciting talent coming through but as we saw at the end of last season, we don’t want to be relying on them for too much of the season too soon.

Fair comment.

I actually think we are only short in 2 areas, we have no cover at LB with any experience at this level at all, plus whatever people’s view of Fam, he hasn’t been replaced meaning we really only have 2 senior strikers, plus Weimann who could do a job there.

At LB it seems clear now Pearson is expecting Pring & Nurse to compete to back up Dasilva & up front, who knows? If no one else joins then Weimann, Conway & possibly Semenyo are the back ups.

Otherwise I do think we have enough cover, Max in goal, Baker & Moore at CB, Vyner at RB & 6 midfielders for presumably 3 places.

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

This season is all about the senior players staying fit and available. Because if they don't, we're done for.

Kalas has a history of injuries. Ditto Baker. Ditto James. Dasilva has never played a full season. Weimann and Martin returning from long term injuries. Simpson and King haven't been a first choice pick for anyone since who knows when. Williams hasn't played for... how long???

Even if we have a regulation number of injuries, to a regulation number of players, who are sidelined for  a regulation period of time, if it happens to any of this lot - one or two in particular - we'll be struggling.  

That’s it then.

4dfdoa.jpg

There are so many variables ahead but I couldn’t put up a strong argument against the super computer at the moment. 
Hoping for better but 20th is better than three other finishing positions I could name.

Better to start the season with a bit of realism - might create the sort of battling spirit among the fan base that could be needed.

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I think the super computer is ignorant of the eleven Nige was forced to field last season.  Was chatting to a Blackpool fan about our opening game, and he was quite bullish (without being silly) about the game against us. He was looking at last season’s team come the last weeks of the season, looking at players left, a few signed and thinking we were even weaker.  Then I reminded him of the 6 players (Martin, Weimann, Dasilva, Baker, O’Dowda and Williams) who barely played last season who will be in the mix plus Atkinson, James and King signed, and he had a slightly different perspective.

We aren’t gonna be world beaters, but I don’t see us being in the bottom 8.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think the super computer is ignorant of the eleven Nige was forced to field last season.  Was chatting to a Blackpool fan about our opening game, and he was quite bullish (without being silly) about the game against us. He was looking at last season’s team come the last weeks of the season, looking at players left, a few signed and thinking we were even weaker.  Then I reminded him of the 6 players (Martin, Weimann, Dasilva, Baker, O’Dowda and Williams) who barely played last season who will be in the mix plus Atkinson, James and King signed, and he had a slightly different perspective.

I would take your hand off with not being in bottom 8. I look at us at the moment I just can't see where the goals are going to come from which is my biggest worry. I do trust NP though and he has an air of 'leave it to me and I'll get this sorted'.

COYR

26 minutes ago, Super said:

Given how weak we are in attack nobody is going to think we are going to have a good season. We will be one of the lowest scoring teams in the league if nobody else comes in.

Possibly, but Wells has an acceptable scoring record at this level & if we work hard on not being a Christmas club in our defending & actually have a midfield (Williams, James, King) that contributes to stopping the opposition this time around that won’t be so big an issue.

Worth pointing out Millwall scored 1 more goal than us last season & finished 11th.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I hope you're right Dave, but I couldn't name eight teams we will finish above. Who do you think may struggle this season?

Archived