IGNORED

Super Computer Championship Predictions

supercidered

1 minute ago, TammyAB said:

I hope you're right Dave, but I couldn't name eight teams we will finish above. Who do you think may struggle this season?

Haven’t put much thought into a 1-24 yet, but as a very quick stab here’s my bottom 8:

17. Luton Town

18. Barnsley

19. Peterborough United

20. Preston North End

21. Blackpool

22. Coventry City

23. Hull City

24. Derby County

I’m sure it’ll change between now and the Blackpool game as squads change.  Are the likes of Blackburn, Birmingham, Huddersfield, Middlesbrough, Millwall, Nottingham Forest, QPR and Stoke any better / much better than us?  I think these are the middle-nine.

Top seven?

Bournemouth, Cardiff, Fulham, Reading, Sheffield Utd, Swansea, West Brom.  I could possibly argue Cardiff and Swansea might be in ”our” middle group.

I do think it’s easy to look at last season and err on the side of pessimism.  I see why too, it was horrible at times.  But if you look at the recruitment this summer of many sides, their squads are possibly worse than last season, they have to cut players due to Covid finances.  We’ve strengthened a tad imho….possibly because of the returning injured players too.

You might look at my bottom 8 and think Barnsley were in playoffs last season, but look at their squad, Mowatt, Dike (loan ended), Chaplin (going to Ipswich) and Sollbauer all gone, plus their manager.  Teams will suss out their press too.  I predict them to struggle.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Haven’t put much thought into a 1-24 yet, but as a very quick stab here’s my bottom 8:

17. Luton Town

18. Barnsley

19. Peterborough United

20. Preston North End

21. Blackpool

22. Coventry City

23. Hull City

24. Derby County

I’m sure it’ll change between now and the Blackpool game as squads change.  Are the likes of Blackburn, Birmingham, Huddersfield, Middlesbrough, Millwall, Nottingham Forest, QPR and Stoke any better / much better than us?  I think these are the middle-nine.

Top seven?

Bournemouth, Cardiff, Fulham, Reading, Sheffield Utd, Swansea, West Brom.  I could possibly argue Cardiff and Swansea might be in ”our” middle group.

I do think it’s easy to look at last season and err on the side of pessimism.  I see why too, it was horrible at times.  But if you look at the recruitment this summer of many sides, their squads are possibly worse than last season, they have to cut players due to Covid finances.  We’ve strengthened a tad imho….possibly because of the returning injured players too.

You might look at my bottom 8 and think Barnsley were in playoffs last season, but look at their squad, Mowatt, Dike (loan ended), Chaplin (going to Ipswich) and Sollbauer all gone, plus their manager.  Teams will suss out their press too.  I predict them to struggle.

I have the same bottom 8.

Derby, Coventry, and one of the promoted sides to go down.

8 hours ago, Negan said:

Now I'm not saying we are massive but lets not pretend we are some small fish anymore. We're a very well respected championship side and supporters of other clubs will be more shocked to see us finish 20th than 6th. I'm not saying we'll get play offs, in fact I'm not expecting to see us getting top half however nobody will be surprised if we do. Which is credit to how far we've come, just need to get it right now. This season is still damage repair for me, I'll be happy if we play decent football, win more than we lose and stay up comfortably. Next season we'll hopefully have a bit more cash to spend and Nige can give it a real go for promotion. 

Trouble is there are about 20 teams in this division who you could reasonably argue are a ‘respected Championship side” 

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

17. Luton Town

18. Barnsley

19. Peterborough United

20. Preston North End

21. Blackpool

22. Coventry City

23. Hull City

24. Derby County

Top seven?

Agree on Barnsley, small clubs normally have one go at it. (us under Johnson)

Especially when the manager with his total commitment to a way of playing leaves

For what it's worth i think half way in the table is where were destined.

I think it's really important for us to start the season with a win. I wouldn't normally place so much emphasis on the opening game, but for the confidence of the players who are still here from last season and the fans, I think we need to see the slate wiped clean. 

12 hours ago, Greedo said:

Trouble is there are about 20 teams in this division who you could reasonably argue are a ‘respected Championship side” 

I mean whilst that’s true I meant in a sense of other fans knowing we can get promoted more so than relegated. Probably only around 12/13 teams like that in this division. For example Barnsley have just had an amazing season, will they get play offs again? Highly doubt it, will they get relegated? Very likely. Same applies for the likes of Birmingham, Blackpool, Coventry, Derby, Huddersfield, Hull, Luton and Peterborough. I’d say this season we fall in to the won’t go up won’t go down category along with Blackburn, Middlesbrough, Preston, Millwall, Forest, QPR, Reading and Stoke. The rest you’d imagine will be fighting it out for top 6. 

5 minutes ago, Negan said:

I mean whilst that’s true I meant in a sense of other fans knowing we can get promoted more so than relegated. Probably only around 12/13 teams like that in this division. For example Barnsley have just had an amazing season, will they get play offs again? Highly doubt it, will they get relegated? Very likely. Same applies for the likes of Birmingham, Blackpool, Coventry, Derby, Huddersfield, Hull, Luton and Peterborough. I’d say this season we fall in to the won’t go up won’t go down category along with Blackburn, Middlesbrough, Preston, Millwall, Forest, QPR, Reading and Stoke. The rest you’d imagine will be fighting it out for top 6. 

I think reading will struggle under huge FFP pressure and much like us will be using younger players to make up the bulk of their squad. 

Barnsley is a difficult one they lost Alex Mowatt who was a key player for them as well as their manager so the start of the season will be interesting. 

Birmingham have made some good signings so I think they'll be bottom 8 but not really in too much risk of being relegated. 

My surprise relegation candidates are Blackburn if they sell Armstrong again another club who are rumoured to be close to FFP so haven't been allowed to spend. 

For us I think we'll be midtable closer to 20th then 6th but not challenging play offs or threatened by relegation. 

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Cool.  I see all kind of stuff on twitter and think I’m alone ???

Me too but I think Swansea are going to be the surprise strugglers.

Fans are unhappy with the Americans, all the loan players (Woodman, Guelhi, Hourihane) have gone, Ayew too, Grimes is linked away as well.

Whether it is Terry or Jody Morris they look in some trouble to me, as opposed to Cardiff who have the stability of big Mick & his uncomplicated style of play.

On 26/07/2021 at 17:07, Davefevs said:

17. Luton Town

18. Barnsley

19. Peterborough United

20. Preston North End

21. Blackpool

22. Coventry City

23. Hull City

24. Derby County

Top seven?

Looks good but think Blackpool will surprise a few.

So the relegated PL teams will finish 1st,2nd & 3rd. The teams coming up from L1, will finish 23rd,24th & 15th. Two of the teams in last years playoffs will be 4th & 5th; and the teams that finished in the bottom 6 will struggle again. Thank god we have this "Super" computer to work that all out.??.

3 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Would it be a shock if they got 3 points? ?. No, no, must stay positive. Score draw ? 

It wouldn’t be a shock, but I just think for our first game back after last season, when we flirted with relegation, that a win for us is a must and will lift the team and the fans. Still seems to be a lot of pessimism around even though 12,500 have bought/ renewed their season tickets 

Archived