Fuse box question

phantom

• Admin

Am after some advice please

Suddenly this afternoon my lights keep tripping the fuse box and going off

I live in a downstairs flat

I reset the fuse, without putting any lights on and it has tripped again

I've not put any new lights / bulbs in for months

Is this something that I could resolve or do I need to call out an electrician?

I'm no electrician but is it possible your lights are not isolated to your flat and are on the same loop as the flat above? Could be something tripping from there? Would expect it all to be separate though.

Faulty light switch? I had a new dimmer switch once that did it, regardless of if it was turned on.

Only other thought would be water getting in somewhere?

Must be at least one sparky on here surely.

• Admin
48 minutes ago, Gazred said:

I'm no electrician but is it possible your lights are not isolated to your flat and are on the same loop as the flat above? Could be something tripping from there? Would expect it all to be separate though.

Faulty light switch? I had a new dimmer switch once that did it, regardless of if it was turned on.

Only other thought would be water getting in somewhere?

Completely seperate from upstairs, not aware of any water getting in anywhere

28 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Take the bulbs (lamps correct term) out one at a time and see it it stops, that will at least narrow it down to a particular switch /lamp holder or wiring.

Will give this a try

9 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Weird question I know but I have seen it happen, have you put any pictures or shelves up recently? Potentially nails or screws damaging the cable.

No, nothing new for months

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

Do you have a outside light on the circuit? Potential water ingress causing it to trip.

2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Do you have a outside light on the circuit? Potential water ingress causing it to trip.

Nothing external

As MR has said, it's a process of elimination. If you have a fan in the kitchen or bathroom it will likely be connected to the lighting circuit so make sure that's switched off.

If you're confident in what you're doing you could take the front off all the switches (with the power turned off!) and check for loose wires and do the same with all the ceiling roses. Good luck, I hope it's an easy find. Fairly unlikely but it may even be as simple as a faulty circuit breaker?

21 hours ago, phantom said:

Am after some advice please

Suddenly this afternoon my lights keep tripping the fuse box and going off

I live in a downstairs flat

I reset the fuse, without putting any lights on and it has tripped again

I've not put any new lights / bulbs in for months

Is this something that I could resolve or do I need to call out an electrician?

I suggest you un plug al appliances, keep all light switches in the off position. When you are confident then reset the minature C/B in your switch board. Circuit breaker or replace the fuse wire if it is a realy old house. 10 amp fuse wire for lighting circuits and 20 amp fuse wire for power outlets .

Then switch one light on at a time and then plug back in all your compliances one at a time and see what trips the circuit breaker or the RCD switch of which you should have. An RCD is a residual circuit device that will trip when an appliance or a circuit has an earth leakage from the positive live conductor to earth. if this does not work then send me the money to OZ and I will fly back and my labour component is free, oh and supply cider during the course of the works.hahaha

• Admin
22 minutes ago, City oz said:

I suggest you un plug al appliances, keep all light switches in the off position. When you are confident then reset the minature C/B in your switch board. Circuit breaker or replace the fuse wire if it is a realy old house. 10 amp fuse wire for lighting circuits and 20 amp fuse wire for power outlets .

Then switch one light on at a time and then plug back in all your compliances one at a time and see what trips the circuit breaker or the RCD switch of which you should have. An RCD is a residual circuit device that will trip when an appliance or a circuit has an earth leakage from the positive live conductor to earth. if this does not work then send me the money to OZ and I will fly back and my labour component is free, oh and supply cider during the course of the works.hahaha

Just to clarify, it is only my ceiling lights that are the problem, all other plugs are ok.

Should I take out the bulbs in each room and see which trips the RCD?

I was planning on giving it a go this afternoon

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Just to clarify, it is only my ceiling lights that are the problem, all other plugs are ok.

Should I take out the bulbs in each room and see which trips the RCD?

I was planning on giving it a go this afternoon

1- take out all light globes.

2- Make sure switches are in the off position ( take particular care if you have any intermediate switching ) stair way lights at the bottom and top of a stairway or hall way.

3- replace the the light globe in one room at a time while the switch is still off and then switch the switch on. If the light goes on then thats a win.

4- Continue to the next room and follow the same procedure.

5- As you follow this process then you will now which room, light fitting is at fault if the circuit trips.

6- You may have mixed circuits so also un plug all electrical appliances like kettles etc so as not to get confused during the process above.

7- Good luck at let me know how you go. I still have my sparky tools at my mums in Stockwood that are probably rusty by now. 

8- Oh one more thing if you have a dedicated beer / cider fridge do not un plug it so you can keep some cold for me. ? 

• Admin
1 hour ago, City oz said:

1- take out all light globes.

2- Make sure switches are in the off position ( take particular care if you have any intermediate switching ) stair way lights at the bottom and top of a stairway or hall way.

3- replace the the light globe in one room at a time while the switch is still off and then switch the switch on. If the light goes on then thats a win.

4- Continue to the next room and follow the same procedure.

5- As you follow this process then you will now which room, light fitting is at fault if the circuit trips.

6- You may have mixed circuits so also un plug all electrical appliances like kettles etc so as not to get confused during the process above.

7- Good luck at let me know how you go. I still have my sparky tools at my mums in Stockwood that are probably rusty by now. 

8- Oh one more thing if you have a dedicated beer / cider fridge do not un plug it so you can keep some cold for me. ? 

Something really odd, I did as above.

Managed to get all the lights back on, though two of three bulbs in living room ceiling light blew.

All lights on for about 5 minutes then fuse tripped again

8 hours ago, phantom said:

Something really odd, I did as above.

Managed to get all the lights back on, though two of three bulbs in living room ceiling light blew.

All lights on for about 5 minutes then fuse tripped again

Did you try again all lights but with the ceiling light off. Sounds like the ceiling light is the faulty fitting.

You have no choice now but to call a local sparky. 

• Admin
45 minutes ago, City oz said:

Did you try again all lights but with the ceiling light off. Sounds like the ceiling light is the faulty fitting.

You have no choice now but to call a local sparky. 

Awaiting new bulbs to be delivered Wednesday 

Otherwise the wallet will have to take a hit

• Admin

Thank you for everyone's advice

Electrician came and eventually worked out there was a problem with two of my lights, as I am in a downstairs flat he is going to have to come back and rewire from light to light switch

Archived