IGNORED

Exeter and Argyle games

ollywhyte

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Pearson complained about fitness when he first came in. Also Simpson said it was the hardest he'd had. I think Nige always had it in mind to get them as fit as possible, the medical staff will hopefully stop us having the sort off injury crisis we had last year.

Every pre season once you’re over the age of 32 probably becomes the hardest one you’ve ever had.

I tend to agree with NP though, we seemed unfit last season, but it probably didn’t help that we chased the ball in most games rather than controlling it. Allows the other team to set the tempo. 

Seeing some real positives, energy , tempo and intention. 
Movement seems much better, MF offering options and front men making runs to offer themselves for out balls.
Players happy to take the ball with opponent near, coming short but not just knocking the ball back and stopping.
Things definitely look better.
Saturday will show how much better/different, but certainly promising.

1 minute ago, Carey 6 said:

Every pre season once you’re over the age of 32 probably becomes the hardest one you’ve ever had.

I tend to agree with NP though, we seemed unfit last season, but it probably didn’t help that we chased the ball in most games rather than controlling it. Allows the other team to set the tempo. 

Difference is, we've chased the ball in pre season, but now they look like they have a purpose and direction. Also we press as a team, not near so tiring when you actually win the ball back occasionally.

1 minute ago, VT05763 said:

Or taking their time to chose the right one.

I didn't realise Adelakun had signed for Lincoln tbf but I think it is more of a buyers market atm. Not sure there are many average Championship players around with numerous offers to consider and able to choose the right one.

That was pretty much Exeter’s youth team wasn’t it? 1, possibly 2 senior players? Shame really. 

Hard to make any sort of judgement other than take positives around people getting game time.

5 minutes ago, Kibs said:

That was pretty much Exeter’s youth team wasn’t it? 1, possibly 2 senior players? Shame really. 

Hard to make any sort of judgement other than take positives around people getting game time.

Nothing can be judged from this game. Only 3 of their 15 even have a Wikipedia page. I would fully expect us to have dominated the ball and won easily. Looking at Exeter fans forum they expected it to be their youth v our youth. They were surprised to see so many first teamers 

5 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Spot on.

We fielded 2 blokes who just played at the Euros, our most likely goal scorer, someone with a Premiership winner’s medal & a couple of £1m signings.

The only things to get out of it are no injuries & more minutes.

1 minute ago, bredwood said:

It can't have been that bad can it? After all we did win 8 out of the first 12. More likely it was the constant stream of injuries that made it difficult to maintain fitness levels in training.

But pre season is supposed to get you ready for the whole season. I would suggest that the injuries started to mount up because they weren’t ready for the rigours of a championship season. There are 46 games not 12. It was difficult, I appreciate that, but we seemed to get it more wrong than anyone else.

Think everyone had decent games.  Thought Williams and Nagy were excellent, encouraging display from Pring, whilst Scott glides around effortlessly.

Said last game that this pre-season regime is not about getting players 45s, or 60s and 30s, but testing their ability to play 90.  Amazing how many teams go into the first league match without hardly any players completing 90 minutes pre-season…becomes a journey into the unknown.  21 players have managed a 90 minute match so far, a few more than 1.

54 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Looking very one sided, Bakinson is just running this game how he likes.

Needs to look after the ball better for me, lots of passes conceding possession.

As a caveat, I understand he's trying to be positive and pass forwards nearly every time he has the ball. Sometimes, though, sideways or back really is the best option. 

22 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Hard to really judge the game when it's hard to see the other side of the pitch and when the camera moves quickly it's hard to see anything. But Taylor Moore looked quality bringing it out and was pretty dominant. Obviously not even close to championship level opposition.

I really like Taylor Moore, and not just for his ideal son-in-law qualities.

As you say, he looked quality bringing the ball out from defence and also looked pretty solid in his main role as a defender.

This is not the first time he has showed such qualities; he has done so on many occasions, but generally when we have been on top or been playing against weaker opposition.

As many on here have said, he often seems to just switch off mentally (Think the goal against Middlesbrough, when he failed to react to DB's throw) or to simply have a mistake in him (again against Middlesbrough, when he misjudged his header following a long clearance, allowing Assombalonga through, leading to another goal).  

I am sure he would benefit from a run in the side, but it is difficult to see how he is going to get that this season, unless there are injuries.

9 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Needs to look after the ball better for me, lots of passes conceding possession.

As a caveat, I understand he's trying to be positive and pass forwards nearly every time he has the ball. Sometimes, though, sideways or back really is the best option. 

Yep, he is our most progressive passer of the ball, looks to get things going forward. And I have mentioned that De Bruyne had low completion stats because he tried so many threatening passes. What Bakinson needs to do , at least what he needs to change from last year, make better choices and not get caught in two minds. He often ended up passing and putting players in trouble or even playing a through ball for the opposition with a panicked pass. I know the opposition were not Championship today, but he did seem to try and hold the ball until there was an option. 
He could be a hell of a player if he gets the balance right.

59 minutes ago, RedRock said:

4-0 can’t grumble really …. but, for me, still lack the ‘fizz’ around the edge of that penalty box with groups/pairs making quick inter-changes, clever flicks and footwork.

We’re all a bit predictable and easy to read for opposition defenders of Championship standard for me still.  

Anyhow, on to ‘Muff. 

Lucky boy - enjoy! 

It was pretty much Exeter’s youth side so it’s difficult to make a real judgment. But it was great to see Bell and Scott out there with the likes of Williams, Nagy, Wells etc.

Great for their development.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Hoping Plymouth put out a strong side.

I expect we will see Palmer and Martin again up top. Come on Kasey show us the same level of fitness and work rate as the Pompey game. 

O'Dowda and Weimann on the wings. It will likely be 2 of James, King or Massengo in midfield.

Something like this?…

Bentley

Vyner     Baker      Atkinson    Dasilva 

James   Massengo

Weimann                              O’Dowda
                      Palmer

Martin

16 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep or King in for Massengo. We have not seen much of Massengo have we so not sure if he is carrying a knock.

Pearson said that all the players that had missed games due to knocks would get game time in these games.

31 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Something like this?…

Bentley

James   Massengo

Palmer

Martin

Hopefully Baker plays. Didn’t he go off after 45 mins the last time he played? Hopefully he’s fully fit and more robust this season. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Hard to really judge the game when it's hard to see the other side of the pitch and when the camera moves quickly it's hard to see anything. But Taylor Moore looked quality bringing it out and was pretty dominant. Obviously not even close to championship level opposition.

Exeter fielded a mainly youth team according to their local rag and their manager.

16 year old keeper apparently (according to the local paper), oldest player 22.

Yes, you can only beat whats in front of you, but that was a major mismatch tbf to Exeter. Good workout, but thats all I'd take from the game.

49 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Something like this?…

Bentley

James   Massengo

Palmer

Martin

Swop Simpson for Vyner, Kalas for Atkinson and Wells for Martin and I think that will be the side that starts against Blackpool.

Archived