IGNORED

Exeter and Argyle games

ollywhyte

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I know that you weren’t asking me but I enjoyed Holdens last 5 games on 19/20 and the early season stuff. Saw method, purpose, etc.

Injuries didn’t help, but having talked about principles and all that, he went away from them very quickly and ended up reverting to LJ type changes.  I was disappointed by him when he did that. 

I'd agree with this. To be fair to Holden, I think there was an element of bad luck.

The formation we started the season with suited the personnel down to the ground but injuries to Mawson and Weimann in successive games took away two of the key elements in making that formation work.

Then, after a bit of trial and error, Holden found a 4-3-3 that worked briefly. But COD, who was key to that formation, then got injured too.

But I completely agree that he then really reverted to mix and match selections and I think that was when the perils of appointing an inexperienced manager really showed. Holden just didn't have the experience, tactical acumen or maybe confidence in his own instincts to manage an extraordinary injury crisis and everything fell apart.

I feel and hope the difference this season - beyond fitness - will not be so much how well our Plan A Works but more the manager's ability to adapt and make changes when things go against us with injuries and form. Obviously there is a nagging concern in that Pearson didn't manage to do that at the end of last season but I think/hope that part of that is because we had a team without the fitness levels to play how Pearson wanted and that, with this season's pre-season, they'll be much better equipped to respond to what Pearson asks for. 

30 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

I know it shouldn't but 2 left footed centre backs brings me out in a cold sweat. Brings back memories of Fontaine / Nyatanga back in the day.

Your concern is not uncommon but it's strange that often nobody minds two right footed CBs. As someone who worked hard to become two footed (with the pushing of my sports teachers) but never going to be good enough to enter the pro game, it rankles with me that all league professionals are not. 

13 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

If this was O'Dowda's chance to impress he's having a bit of a mare! Clumsy. losing the ball.

12 minutes ago, Marco the red said:

Sounds like typical O Dowda.

7 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Yes...sadly!

looks like we have this years whipping boy

43 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Interesting that Owura Edwards has not been involved except 15 minutes against Celtic. Maybe he's got a knock

Gregor has not mentioned he’s injured, maybe he’s on trial somewhere for a loan move but it’s unwraps? 

Archived