IGNORED

Exeter and Argyle games

ollywhyte

3 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Was very good. I know people will disagree but I thought Atkinson was very good, aswell as Weimann and O’dowda (COD second half and spells in first)

I don't, Atkinson was excellent as was Weimann, looks like COD has been coached into a winger..

10 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We could really do with a winger.....just so we can change it up when required as much as anything. Unless they think Janneh is going to break through?

We have got Semenyo to come back.

This is very much shaping up as a team that attacks at pace. Midfield wins the ball and distributes as fast as possible to the runners. 

simple stuff and the opposite of the last three years where master tacticians have tried to outplay teams using there obvious ability to out think them.  If you catch my drift. 

Im looking forward to this season now!

7 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Was very good. I know people will disagree but I thought Atkinson was very good, aswell as Weimann and O’dowda (COD second half and spells in first)

Agree.

Both Atkinson and Baker were really good. 

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

That's fine if one of them breaks through this season. Otherwise I see us as light in that area.

You may well be right but NP has so far shown no interest in playing wingers in a 4-4-2. Just don't see it as an issue for him - IMO.

4 minutes ago, WECANDO said:

Palmer is to inconsistent. Put Scott just behind Wells. Superb footballer.

Why is everyone banging on that Scott is the saviour, he’s played a couple of games! I’m not knocking him, I think he’s going to be a very good player. However he’s played 180mins of 1st team football and one of those games is a friendly and you couldn’t tell if he played well or not as it was a shit camera angle.  Palmer how’s showed up well in the last game but did average today, claimed an assist. 

6 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Yeah fair point, but right here right now, I’d have him on the bench (admittedly with approx 6 other midfielders). 

I think it’s where he’ll start off, but don’t think he’ll stay there. Pearson clearly rates him as he featured regularly at the back end of the season, been unlucky to pick up a knock as the first choice team gets decided upon.

2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

This is very much shaping up as a team that attacks at pace. Midfield wins the ball and distributes as fast as possible to the runners. 

simple stuff and the opposite of the last three years where master tacticians have tried to outplay teams using there obvious ability to out think them.  If you catch my drift. 

Im looking forward to this season now!

Agree that a lot of "over coaching" went on post the Man City games. This seems like a total reset in tactics and formation which is probably no bad thing.

1 minute ago, redpole said:

Why is everyone banging on that Scott is the saviour, he’s played a couple of games! I’m not knocking him, I think he’s going to be a very good player. However he’s played 180mins of 1st team football and one of those games is a friendly and you couldn’t tell if he played well or not as it was a shit camera angle.  Palmer how’s showed up well in the last game but did average today, claimed an assist. 

Have you seen him play live ?

1 minute ago, VT05763 said:

You may well be right but NP has so far shown no interest in playing wingers in a 4-4-2. Just don't see it as an issue for him - IMO.

It’s sometimes to easy to think of wingers as opposed to players getting wide. Weimann odowda Jannah, and some of the boys coming through have bags of pace and will be expected to get wide when going forward as will full backs overlapping at times. The day of the out and out winger are gone for now. 

1 minute ago, redpole said:

It’s the Bristol City way, the first glimmer of promise results in huge expectations and a stupid nickname that more often than not piles on too much pressure. He’s an exciting talent, let’s see how he develops over the season.

Palmer appears to be as motivated as I’ve seen him in a City shirt, this is his best chance to kickstart his career as he’s got a new, experienced manager coaching him at a club he’s familiar with. Without seeing the game, I’ll happily take an average performance with an assist in there, he’s done his job.

2 minutes ago, redpole said:

Made a little dig at Gregor at the end, saying this will be his only interview tonight. I really doesn’t like Gregor!  

I just think he really doesn't like the press and the press for him is Gregor.

3 minutes ago, redpole said:

Made a little dig at Gregor at the end, saying this will be his only interview tonight. I really doesn’t like Gregor!  

Didn’t know what he meant by that - ‘we’re the only people doing this tonight’ - but perhaps it was. 

Thought Pearson’s summary of our performance tonight was spot on - started well; then not so well as we moved the ball too slowly; then picked up the pace second half. I hope he keeps on at the players about this all season. In the past, when we’ve gone off the boil, it’s because we started playing it too slowly. Keep the ball moving quickly and we’ll be fine. 

1 hour ago, VT05763 said:

He is ready now.

He certainly isn’t a million miles off.  Not 18 for a few weeks either.

1 hour ago, WECANDO said:

Palmer is to inconsistent. Put Scott just behind Wells. Superb footballer.

Scott will get minutes, but we need to be careful how we use him.  Might be in behind Wells, might be wide.  

56 minutes ago, redpole said:

I don’t think people are, I think they are saying he’s another option.  If we do play with a no10 / secondary striker, then it’s one of those positions where you want creativity, but you have to expect to lose possession too, either caught on the ball or passes going astray,

I got back to watch the second half but wasn’t watching intently.

Opening 10-15 of second half, Weimann got in 3 times behind their LB, one occasion his cross led to the pen.  I do think he needs to come short too, but maybe with Martin up top, it’s a bit futile as he knows dragging his marker short isn’t likely to be exploited by Martin spinning into the channel.  Wells however would be very different.

With all players playing 90 and no subs, it’s clear that pre-season is about building them to 90 minutes…and you’d say it was a success.  21 players got 90 minutes under their belt today.  Tick for Rennie.  There has been some good mixing and matching of players, to see how combos might work, cognisant that Euro and Gold Cup have affected his Nige has used Kalas, Nagy and Wells.  I’m sure ideally he’d have liked to see Kalas alongside Atkinson at some point, Wells with Palmer maybe. I think it’s now 25 players who have played a full 90 so far.  That’s a new approach, for City at least.  Williams too has been nursed through pre-season, looked very good today.

On that subject, in a league game I’m sure Nige would’ve introduced fresh legs (like Plymouth did) to take the sting out of Plymouth who themselves brought subs on to have that impact.  So getting a bit stretched in last 20 was kinda expected.

Down our left we look useful in patches, but we do need to pick a player out.  If Atkinson can get Dasilva on the ball with quick tempo passes we can get forward as a team.  Seems most of you are picking out James again.

Im not sure whether Villa will be a bit more like a rehearsal for Blackpool or not, but I do think Nige has kept everyone involved / on their toes so far across the 5 games.  Players like Janneh hadn’t done himself any harm.  I wonder if he might have forced himself ahead of Edwards, who might go on loan as a result.

As for Blackpool, I think guaranteed starters are:

GK Bentley

RB

RCB Kalas

LCB

LB Dasilva

RW Weimann

CM

CM James

LW

SS / 10

CF Wells