CF Wells

Everyone else is fighting for spots.  

For me at this moment in time it’s;

Bentley 

Vyner Kalas Atkinson Dasilva

James Nagy

O’dowda Palmer Weimann

Wells

Williams probably get eased into it. And maybe Baker for Atkinson although I thought RA was class tonight. 
That’s a very strong team imo. Pace on wings and up front with two midfielders that can dictate play 

2 hours ago, Malago said:

Alex Scott looks the long term solution, although I would think he’ll need this season and perhaps the next one to be physically strong enough.  In the meantime Bakinson could be worth another try further forwards.

I just worry that Bakinson has the same inconsistent characteristics as Palmer. 

Really need to be fully switched on in that role, 100% concentration, even without the ball. Total awareness at all times of player positions, potential runs and space. Real football intelligence and lightening quick actions and reactions.

Give the ball away in those central positions by sloppy passing and then just amble back to recover is a recipe for disaster.

Let’s hope one, or other, can demonstrate the attributes required for that role on a consistent basis. I have my doubts. 

2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

People just discussing what they are watching. Haven’t seen people moan. I get friendlies aren’t for everyone but some people do enjoy them. I take it you don’t watch them 

Not generally no. It’s about fitness & with two weeks to go , team shape , that they would of been working on for a while & still will be for a while . There are moans about the form of some players. Players have dips in form throughout their careers , they’re normal people it happens. I won’t be judging when the season starts either. Let’s see where we are after ten games.

I thought in the first half against Plymouth was the best central midfield performance at city for years , maybe that’s because of how poor we were in central mid last season but I was impressed by king and James 

can definitely see how kings experience is going to be a big part this season if he can stay fit

4 hours ago, RedRock said:

I just worry that Bakinson has the same inconsistent characteristics as Palmer. 

Really need to be fully switched on in that role, 100% concentration, even without the ball. Total awareness at all times of player positions, potential runs and space. Real football intelligence and lightening quick actions and reactions.

Give the ball away in those central positions by sloppy passing and then just amble back to recover is a recipe for disaster.

Let’s hope one, or other, can demonstrate the attributes required for that role on a consistent basis. I have my doubts. 

Bakinson last season was languid. That seemed to be ok under Holden as he was not playing football with any kind of tempo. Bakinson has upped his tempo and is a bit more aggressive! Thank Pearson for that!

4 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Bakinson last season was languid. That seemed to be ok under Holden as he was not playing football with any kind of tempo. Bakinson has upped his tempo and is a bit more aggressive! Thank Pearson for that!

I hope Pearson has cracked it.  Neither Palmer or Bakinson played the role to the level required during last season’s final few games debacle.

Watching the Exeter game Bakinson played deeper. He also had a few ‘characteristic moments’ and that was against a team of very young lads.

Fingers crossed though. The way we set up under Pearson makes this role crucial. Hopefully, he tells them that the 10  by 8 metre space in front of the two opposition centre backs is yours to dominate and control. You are the lynch pin to trigger the attacks and we stand or fall by your play. 

Both Palmer and Bakinson have the ability and skill sets. Can Pearson get one or other them to develop the mental resilience to play the role effectively and on a consistent basis? I bloody hope so or we are in for another season of misfiring attacks.

2 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Apple if I have overlooked something but was HNM not involved in either game yesterday?

injured?

Being Sold?

Already deemed fit enough?

Slight knock, training but not being risked in matches

Last year he would have played and then been out for a while

2 hours ago, M.D said:

Slight knock, training but not being risked in matches

Last year he would have played and then been out for a while

Definitely seems to be the case that medical science is playing a key part in pre-season.  Long season, why rush them in pre-season.  We have plenty of players.

4 hours ago, RedRock said:

I hope Pearson has cracked it.  Neither Palmer or Bakinson played the role to the level required during last season’s final few games debacle.

Watching the Exeter game Bakinson played deeper. He also had a few ‘characteristic moments’ and that was against a team of very young lads.

Fingers crossed though. The way we set up under Pearson makes this role crucial. Hopefully, he tells them that the 10  by 8 metre space in front of the two opposition centre backs is yours to dominate and control. You are the lynch pin to trigger the attacks and we stand or fall by your play. 

Both Palmer and Bakinson have the ability and skill sets. Can Pearson get one or other them to develop the mental resilience to play the role effectively and on a consistent basis? I bloody hope so or we are in for another season of misfiring attacks.

Yeah (usual friendly caveats apply but...) Bakinson didn't seem to be on it yesterday.

Archived