IGNORED

Exeter and Argyle games

ollywhyte

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

I didn't realise Adelakun had signed for Lincoln tbf but I think it is more of a buyers market atm. Not sure there are many average Championship players around with numerous offers to consider and able to choose the right one.

Watkins and Paterson have yet to sign anywhere but they are Championship standard players and will have offers - IMO.

Diedhou, Hunt, Baker, Adelekun, Walsh, Lansbury and Rowe have all found clubs. Gilmartin was a coach and 5th choice keeper.

Mariappa is the one who may struggle.

8 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Wasn’t a bad squad last season. But the injury list was atrocious. Plus the appointment of Dean Holden 

interesting what you thought after Deans first 6-8 games.? hindsight is wonderful and it was pearson who very nearly took us down as he was unable to buy a win!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, frenchred said:

interesting what you thought after Deans first 6-8 games.? hindsight is wonderful and it was pearson who very nearly took us down as he was unable to buy a win!

I know that you weren’t asking me but I enjoyed Holdens last 5 games on 19/20 and the early season stuff. Saw method, purpose, etc.

Injuries didn’t help, but having talked about principles and all that, he went away from them very quickly and ended up reverting to LJ type changes.  I was disappointed by him when he did that. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, frenchred said:

6-8 games was encouraging. As for the rest of his tenure not good. Shouldn’t of never got the job. But going back to the squad we had some awful injuries and I stand by my comment we haven’t got a bad squad 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Wasn’t a bad squad last season. But the injury list was atrocious. Plus the appointment of Dean Holden 

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I know that you weren’t asking me but I enjoyed Holdens last 5 games on 19/20 and the early season stuff. Saw method, purpose, etc.

Injuries didn’t help, but having talked about principles and all that, he went away from them very quickly and ended up reverting to LJ type changes.  I was disappointed by him when he did that. 

yep, sort of agree with you there davefevs, although as pearson proved there wasn’t a lot in reserve

and this season we are still relying on them

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I'd agree with this. To be fair to Holden, I think there was an element of bad luck.

The formation we started the season with suited the personnel down to the ground but injuries to Mawson and Weimann in successive games took away two of the key elements in making that formation work.

Then, after a bit of trial and error, Holden found a 4-3-3 that worked briefly. But COD, who was key to that formation, then got injured too.

But I completely agree that he then really reverted to mix and match selections and I think that was when the perils of appointing an inexperienced manager really showed. Holden just didn't have the experience, tactical acumen or maybe confidence in his own instincts to manage an extraordinary injury crisis and everything fell apart.

I feel and hope the difference this season - beyond fitness - will not be so much how well our Plan A Works but more the manager's ability to adapt and make changes when things go against us with injuries and form. Obviously there is a nagging concern in that Pearson didn't manage to do that at the end of last season but I think/hope that part of that is because we had a team without the fitness levels to play how Pearson wanted and that, with this season's pre-season, they'll be much better equipped to respond to what Pearson asks for. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 3

30 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

I know it shouldn't but 2 left footed centre backs brings me out in a cold sweat. Brings back memories of Fontaine / Nyatanga back in the day.

Your concern is not uncommon but it's strange that often nobody minds two right footed CBs. As someone who worked hard to become two footed (with the pushing of my sports teachers) but never going to be good enough to enter the pro game, it rankles with me that all league professionals are not. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 2