IGNORED

Fake Standard Liege scouts from Bristol

William Crocodile

Hi all,

This is a long shot, but I'm trying to track down the guys who pretended to be Standard Liege scouts in order to watch games free in the late 1990s. One of them explained how they did it on Danny Baker and Danny Kelly's Talk Radio show.

I've worked out from the games mentioned that it must have been the 1997/98 season. They had a friend in Belgium who sent them Standard Liege ties and, according to the story, that was enough to trick officials at loads of clubs to give them the VIP treatment. Not sure if the whole thing's true, but hats off to them if it is.

Anyway, the guy mentioned he was from Bristol. He gave his name as Neil and said he was a carpenter. He also mentions a couple of mates: Dave and Tony (who was a plasterer). ?  The lad who lived in Belgium was called Ronnie.

I want to get in touch with them for an article I'm writing and I thought someone on here might know something. Even if it's only that the whole thing was a tale.

Appreciate it if anyone can help.

If you want to hear the whole thing, it's up on You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwG1j5O-ADQ 

7 hours ago, William Crocodile said:

Hi all,

This is a long shot, but I'm trying to track down the guys who pretended to be Standard Liege scouts in order to watch games free in the late 1990s. One of them explained how they did it on Danny Baker and Danny Kelly's Talk Radio show.

I've worked out from the games mentioned that it must have been the 1997/98 season. They had a friend in Belgium who sent them Standard Liege ties and, according to the story, that was enough to trick officials at loads of clubs to give them the VIP treatment. Not sure if the whole thing's true, but hats off to them if it is.

Anyway, the guy mentioned he was from Bristol. He gave his name as Neil and said he was a carpenter. He also mentions a couple of mates: Dave and Tony (who was a plasterer). ?  The lad who lived in Belgium was called Ronnie.

I want to get in touch with them for an article I'm writing and I thought someone on here might know something. Even if it's only that the whole thing was a tale.

Appreciate it if anyone can help.

If you want to hear the whole thing, it's up on You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwG1j5O-ADQ 

Never heard that story before but it’s brightened my day! 

see you later Alligator!

That's a classic story. 

I can't recall whether I've ever mentioned it on here, but as a bet, someone I know ? ? allegedly spent a season 2000/01, as a reporter for Calcio Italia magazine comparing Serie B and our 2nd tier.

Spent most matches at the back of the Williams in the press overflow. 

Picked up free access tickets on matchday from the old ticket kiosk. They never asked for Press Acreditation back then.

Got access to interview manager and old players bar after games too :laugh:. Lee Peacock was the biggest piss head. But much fun.

Learnt how to do actual reports. One was even used, as the reporter, from memory The Telegraph, turned up late for an evening game against Millwall. He used the report for print next day :laugh: 4 sent off, 2-1 win.

Maddest season. All for a bet.

There are two pages about it in the Club Supporters memories book released a few years back.

Mental...no one ever questioned it. 

Couldn't do it these days. 

Archived