IGNORED

Cautiously optimistic ?

The Humble Realist

I’m always quite optimistic at the prospect of a new season, a fresh start and all that. Unfortunately I’ve been disappointed more years than not. My expectations aren’t that high generally but even then we often still fall short of what I would expect.

This season I am confident due to Pearson, at last I think we have a Manager on par or better than other Championship clubs. I am not confident we have enough goal scorers throughout. Diedhiou hasn’t been replaced, we will miss his goals and his defensive work. He certainly had his faults, but he did make a contribution.

We seem to have shored up the midfield and defence if all can stay injury free. Weimann returning along with Martin is good news but I still think we are a player or two down. Hopefully this will be solved before the window shuts and we will have a better measure of confidence then.

Personally, I think we have some talented youngsters who were lacking leadership last season. Injuries robbed us of many of out most experienced/best players.

JD, baker, weimann, Williams didn't make 10 starts in the league and Martin, COD, and Palmer made less than 20 starts.

You can make most of a decent starting 11 from those players. 

My point is, despite very few players coming in and quite a few going out... the team is going to look very different to last season. Not least because we now have a new(ish) manager who has finally got a fully fit squad and had time to get his ideas across.

How the new season goes... could go either way to be honest. I'm cautiously optimistic of an upper mid table season. But then I always am at this time of year..... Normally fades away by about 3:05pm on the opening day.....

I think we have plenty to look forward to this season. We have got rid of the deadwood (Walsh, Hunt, Rowe, Diedhiou) players who were not good enough or did not want to be here.

We have some very talented young players (Massengo, Bakinson, Semenyo, Scott, Bell, Pearson) coupled with some experienced players around the place. 

The end of last season was a total write off and I will be cautiously judging Nigel Pearson throughout the season, but it's a low bar from last season so it's refreshing to not expect too much.

By all accounts I think Dave Rennie might have been our best signing in the close season and could make a massive different behind the scenes.

We may have a slow start I think, but I have faith NP will eventually get the best out of the group we have.

Can't wait for 7th August

2 hours ago, CiderJar said:

Having watched the pre-season games, what is noticeable is the way we retain our shape even when pressing high up the pitch. A lot of work has drilled this into the players and it is in stark contrast to what we saw last season.

The other thing often mentioned is the lack of a marquee striker signing, but I think the return to fitness of Martin and Weimann will address this.

A comfortable mid-table would be a great platform to build on.

Much as I liked Holden’s first dozen games as manager (inc caretaker), two things we weren’t was high pressing or intense pressing.  We weren’t “on the front foot” as Holden said he wanted us.  But we did have purpose and method in the way we played.

Against MK I saw a true high press, not at all times, but triggered appropriately.  The widemen (Janneh and Pearson) came inside to squeeze and Conway dropped in to block the passing lanes into midfield.  Nagy and Williams well positioned to either pinch stray passes or screen their CBs.  Vyner and Pring able to play higher up when the press commenced.  We forced error after error out of MKD.

I only watched bits of the second half, but I didn’t see the same with Martin up top….and Palmer off him.  If we play Wells and Martin, I’d prefer Martin to be the one who drops in on the DM.  In fairness he did that last season early on.  O’Dowda and Weimann ought to be than capable of doing what Janneh and Pearson did.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Much as I liked Holden’s first dozen games as manager (inc caretaker), two things we weren’t was high pressing or intense pressing.  We weren’t “on the front foot” as Holden said he wanted us.  But we did have purpose and method in the way we played.

Against MK I saw a true high press, not at all times, but triggered appropriately.  The widemen (Janneh and Pearson) came inside to squeeze and Conway dropped in to block the passing lanes into midfield.  Nagy and Williams well positioned to either pinch stray passes or screen their CBs.  Vyner and Pring able to play higher up when the press commenced.  We forced error after error out of MKD.

I only watched bits of the second half, but I didn’t see the same with Martin up top….and Palmer off him.  If we play Wells and Martin, I’d prefer Martin to be the one who drops in on the DM.  In fairness he did that last season early on.  O’Dowda and Weimann ought to be than capable of doing what Janneh and Pearson did.

I watched the Exeter and Plymouth games, two completely different teams but playing exactly the same way. That DNA that Mark Ashton claimed he was looking for in players signed, found by Pearson in a few short months. Encouraging, but let us see.

Think a lot depends on if Weimann, COD, Wells and the young lads can perform consistently and stay fit. If they can think we could surprise a few people. 

We will be solid and difficult to beat which is always a big plus in this league. The only question is if we have enough quality going forward. 

Personally, I'm quite pessimistic.  But that could change before Aug 7th, but at time of writing, we're still two players shy of the sort of recruitment I'd have liked to have seen.

Our usual seasons recently start well then turn into shyte as winter gets going. I wonder if this one might reverse that trend.

Big Nige didn't have the chops to pull a group of disinterested and demoralised players out of tailspin last season, but his record shows he can identify weaknesses and take action in the long-run.

I am optimistic! Upbeat even! 

our squad is very good and we have a fighting chance of keeping them fit. We have an abundance of young hungry forwards after Weimann Wells and Martin’s spots. 

we have two excellent goalkeepers and now have a couple of ball winners in midfield. Our pace down the flanks will out run most full backs and we are playing with tempo once again. 

NP has said he is happy going into the season with no additions (which will only happen if we accept offers for the obvious targets) so here we go again! COYR!

Good to see that based on the original article I read in my first post on this thread...we are actually ranging from 'we are going up'  to 'we are doomed' !

In all seriousness though looks like most fans feel broadly the same that thinks are looking up but we will have to wait and see. Which I guess is fair 

4 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

Good to see that based on the original article I read in my first post on this thread...we are actually ranging from 'we are going up'  to 'we are doomed' !

In all seriousness though looks like most fans feel broadly the same that thinks are looking up but we will have to wait and see. Which I guess is fair 

We will have to wait and see, but pearson could really do with some early wins to shake off last seasons results.

id really like to see a quality striker come in, i dont think wells and martin are up to it, but who that may be, if anyone, ive no idea at this point??

Let's have a think about the squad...promise but grounds for concern too- though some of those fall away if we avoid a lot of injuries.

Squad- not yet going onto younger players or those whose status is uncertain

GK- Bentley, O'Leary- happy enough with that 1-2.

RB- Simpson, Vyner- Have my concerns about Simpson age and fitness given a relative lack of gametime in recent years- and certainly dynamism and ageing RBs don't always cross over. Less so about Vyner but hasn't he often been played at CB?

CB- Kalas, Atkinson, Baker, Moore- Seems okay, Moore as 4th choice CB seems realistic, Vyner can also tuck in...may also help us to go narrower or shift to a back 3 in game.

LB- DaSilva, Pring- DaSilva when fit feels a strong choice, Pring is less experienced but has promise?

CM- Williams, James, Nagy, Massengo, King, Bakinson- A decent range, King as a squad player given a variety of options yet with experience means less concerns despite age similarities to Simpson. Think if we keep on top of injuries and pick the correct combinations- perhaps mix and match combinations within the same framework, for the correct opposition there are definite grounds for optimism.

Wide players- O'Dowda

Attacking midfield- Palmer

Wide Forwards who can also go central- Weimann, Semenyo

Forwards- Wells, Martin- Quite happy with that though maybe could do with another. Wells should only really be through the middle. Martin we really played into the ground last season, we have to use correctly...

Younger Players

Going to be a bit more generic category and positional wise here.

GK- Wiles-Richards, 3rd choice- that's fine.

Midfield- Pearson, Morton, Towler, Owura Edwards, Scott

Forward type players- Bell, Conway, Britton, Janneh.

Unknown

What does the future for Cundy hold?

I think we possibly need another wide player, another CF would also be useful but then so too is the versatility of a number of our players...of the young midfielders and Forwards in particular just how many are yet ready for the Championship over a season from Day 1? Have my views on the RB 1-2 as well- if finances allowed and that's a big if, I'd think a further RB in, ie younger, a further wide player and a further forward- and a lot of good development loans for many of the young players.

I'm going bottom half/mid table (slight improvement on last season).  It's going to take time for the existing players to prove they've turned a corner and the new guys are going to take a bit of time to gel/settle.  Accepting there have been positives on and off the pitch so far, but lets not forget we were relagation fodder by the end of last season and easily the worst team in this Division. 

If i'm wrong and we do better, then i'm in for a cracking season and will celebrate happy. We do worse and at least i'm not going to be hugely disapointed.

One thing i'll be 100% spot on predicting - OTIB is going to implode if we're not 5-0 up in the first 10 minutes against Blackpool.

Just now, Loco Rojo said:

I'm going bottom half/mid table (slight improvement on last season).  It's going to take time for the existing players to prove they've turned a corner and the new guys are going to take a bit of time to gel/settle. I'm not confident how much the players confidence has improved and what impact a couple of losses will do.

Accepting there have been positives on and off the pitch so far, but lets not forget we were relagation fodder by the end of last season and easily the worst team in this Division. 

If i'm wrong and we do better, then i'm in for a cracking season and will celebrate happy. We do worse and at least i'm not going to be hugely disapointed.

One thing i'll be 100% spot on predicting - OTIB is going to implode if we're not 5-0 up in the first 10 minutes against Blackpool.

On 28/07/2021 at 06:48, frenchred said:

please enlighten us bs4, what are these missives because on a football side he has got so much wrong over the last 10 years

What I meant by my post was that you cannot fault or dismiss Steve Lansdown’s undoubted ambition regarding Bristol City FC - the original post on this thread to which I replied suggested that “bringing a couple of youngsters through” would be “job done” for Nigel Pearson. My response to that was meant to convey my thoughts that although Mr Lansdown has a very dubious track record with regard to senior appointments at our club, there is no way he’d accept “bringing a couple of youngsters through” as “job done” - even though he seems to be swimming in unfamiliar seas, Mr Lansdown’s ambition for our club burns bright - he wants us to reach the promised land and that was what my post seeked to affirm ...

On 29/07/2021 at 19:21, Mr Popodopolous said:

Let's have a think about the squad...promise but grounds for concern too- though some of those fall away if we avoid a lot of injuries.

Squad- not yet going onto younger players or those whose status is uncertain

GK- Bentley, O'Leary- happy enough with that 1-2.

RB- Simpson, Vyner- Have my concerns about Simpson age and fitness given a relative lack of gametime in recent years- and certainly dynamism and ageing RBs don't always cross over. Less so about Vyner but hasn't he often been played at CB?

CB- Kalas, Atkinson, Baker, Moore- Seems okay, Moore as 4th choice CB seems realistic, Vyner can also tuck in...may also help us to go narrower or shift to a back 3 in game.

LB- DaSilva, Pring- DaSilva when fit feels a strong choice, Pring is less experienced but has promise?

CM- Williams, James, Nagy, Massengo, King, Bakinson- A decent range, King as a squad player given a variety of options yet with experience means less concerns despite age similarities to Simpson. Think if we keep on top of injuries and pick the correct combinations- perhaps mix and match combinations within the same framework, for the correct opposition there are definite grounds for optimism.

Wide players- O'Dowda

Attacking midfield- Palmer

Wide Forwards who can also go central- Weimann, Semenyo

Forwards- Wells, Martin- Quite happy with that though maybe could do with another. Wells should only really be through the middle. Martin we really played into the ground last season, we have to use correctly...

Younger Players

Going to be a bit more generic category and positional wise here.

GK- Wiles-Richards, 3rd choice- that's fine.

Midfield- Pearson, Morton, Towler, Owura Edwards, Scott

Forward type players- Bell, Conway, Britton, Janneh.

Unknown

What does the future for Cundy hold?

I think we possibly need another wide player, another CF would also be useful but then so too is the versatility of a number of our players...of the young midfielders and Forwards in particular just how many are yet ready for the Championship over a season from Day 1? Have my views on the RB 1-2 as well- if finances allowed and that's a big if, I'd think a further RB in, ie younger, a further wide player and a further forward- and a lot of good development loans for many of the young players.

Definitely agree with a lot of this. 

I'm.happy we have brought in freshness in Atkinson, king and james to complement others already here.

Goals is the concern, no new attackers and regardless of weimann and martin we have lost Fam.

I guess we will know a lot more in 4 hours time!

Archived