IGNORED

Would you 100% back the City XI at Plymouth to beat the City X1 who played Exeter ?

headhunter

I wouldn't personally.

Scott appears a precocious talent and although just 17 and with limited minutes seen of him playing he looks something special. What was the saying, "if your good enough you're old enough". Wells is the only natural goal scorer we have. Kalas and Nagy are internationals in the prime of their career [aged 28 & 26], a fit Williams is a player who was deemed pivotal 12 months ago, Pring offers additional height at the back, Bakinson offers height in midfield [just needs to maintain energy levels for 90 minutes].

Rather than see the Plymouth team form the [likely] foundation for the season opener I would prefer to have the Exeter side tweaked as follows: Bentley for O'Leary, Atkinson for Moore, James for Bakinson and Weimann for Bell.

The major reasons for the choice of players for each match is to:-

Ensure all are match fit.

Allow all of the squad to play with all the others in the squad.

To ensure that all squad members are given a fair chance to become a regular on the team sheet. Tell them early on the that they are only second or third choice and it kills their ambition.

All will know that they have to compete with several others to gain a starting place.

I think therein lies our problem. 

We have a ‘solid’ 4-5 players but the rest are very inconsistent, unproven or just downright average.

We need a ‘solid’ squad of 14 players before we can have a realistic chance of threatening the play-off places. 

Kalas for Atkinson, on the assumption Pearson has got Baker and Kalas in a room and banged their heads together. But who knows?

Williams for King, on the assumption Williams can manage 60 minutes before King or Nagy replace him. But who knows?

Wells for Palmer but that would mean playing 4-4-2 and who knows how we'll line up? If it's 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 it'll be more than 3 changes.

A lot of known unknowns in all that, so it's a complete guess. 

I don't think it was ever the intention that the team that played Plymouth was near the likely starters against Blackpool. Williams played against Exeter because he is slowly working his way back, while Kalas, Nagy and Wells have spent less time training with squad due to their involvement in international tournaments. We'll have a better idea of the likely Blackpool line up when we see who's picked against Villa on Saturday. 

37 minutes ago, headhunter said:

I wouldn't personally.

Scott appears a precocious talent and although just 17 and with limited minutes seen of him playing he looks something special. What was the saying, "if your good enough you're old enough". Wells is the only natural goal scorer we have. Kalas and Nagy are internationals in the prime of their career [aged 28 & 26], a fit Williams is a player who was deemed pivotal 12 months ago, Pring offers additional height at the back, Bakinson offers height in midfield [just needs to maintain energy levels for 90 minutes].

Rather than see the Plymouth team form the [likely] foundation for the season opener I would prefer to have the Exeter side tweaked as follows: Bentley for O'Leary, Atkinson for Moore, James for Bakinson and Weimann for Bell.

Do we not know have a great manager in NP. I suggest we wait and see what happens over the next few weeks. you can now NP now has his preffered  squad of 11 to 15 avilable players.

All pre season matches have been positive and let us be confident going forward.

those of us with opinions and not educated enough should keep a bit quiet.

However this forum is open to any thing and we are all Bristol City supporters. 

Those of us that suggest what the team structure should look like  and who should play in what position is not up to us.

Please keep faith in NP as it is all we got. We are now in a better place now than we were with LJ. 

Maybe those song gurus amongst us should start putting together a new song/chant with NP 'bounces around the ground"

This up and coming season is going to be positive for all of us and all you lucky buggers in the UK and in Bristol I wish you all the best in watching football at BS3 and seeing many positive and City wins.

COYREDDSS

26 minutes ago, RedRock said:

I think therein lies our problem. 

We have a ‘solid’ 4-5 players but the rest are very inconsistent, unproven or just downright average.

We need a ‘solid’ squad of 14 players before we can have a realistic chance of threatening the play-off places. 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

There aren’t many 100% nailed on starters for the first league game I’d say. Bentley, Kalas, Dasilva, Williams, James, Weimann.  5 places unsure 

Williams might be nursed more gently into the season, so agree with 5 of those.  For the first game of the season I’m sure Wells will start.  It’s up to those guys to cement their place, knowing others are chomping at the bit and the necessity for rest and rotation.

So I think RB, LCB, CM, LW and SS/no10 are up for grabs.  I suspect O’Dowda might get the LW berth, but it’s not as guaranteed due to Janneh’s pre-season, or Palmer who started pre-season there.

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

I wouldn't personally.

So you'd rather see the team v Exeter + half the team from the Plymouth game replacing them?

I think that's what's going to happen anyway.

1 minute ago, grifty said:

So you'd rather see the team v Exeter + half the team from the Plymouth game replacing them?

I was suggesting supplanting 4 of the Plymouth team into the Exeter X1 - 4/11 is 36%, that's not half!

Just now, headhunter said:

I was suggesting supplanting 4 of the Plymouth team into the Exeter X1 - 4/11 is 36%, that's not half!

So you'd rather see the team v Exeter + 36% from the Plymouth game replacing them?

My prediction will be 4-2-3-1 and is this:

Bentley (c)

Simpson Kalas Atkinson Dasilva

Nagy James

Weimann Palmer Wells

Martin

That side should have enough for Blackpool. People should not over-expect a wave of youth from the start this season. 3 year plan here and this one is consolidation. Expect a lot of trusted experience on the pitch until we are comfortable, with the odd splash of youth to see out games depending on the scoreline.

Just my thoughts.

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Kalas for Atkinson, on the assumption Pearson has got Baker and Kalas in a room and banged their heads together. But who knows?

Williams for King, on the assumption Williams can manage 60 minutes before King or Nagy replace him. But who knows?

Wells for Palmer but that would mean playing 4-4-2 and who knows how we'll line up? If it's 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 it'll be more than 3 changes.

4-2-3-1 is the default line up and it will be the best players to fit that system, leaving possibly better individuals on the bench - IMO.

There will be a couple either/ors but it may well be something like -

Bentley

Simpson     Kalas     Baker     DaSilva

James          Nagy/Williams

Weimann                                    ODowda

Palmer/Scott

Wells/Martin

4 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

4-2-3-1 is the default line up and it will be the best players to fit that system, leaving possibly better individuals on the bench - IMO.

There will be a couple either/ors but it may well be something like -

Bentley

Simpson     Kalas     Baker     DaSilva

James          Nagy/Williams

Weimann                                    ODowda

Palmer/Scott

Wells/Martin

Williams to start with Nagy as back up, Scott ahead of Palmer and Wells leading the line centrally - I'd have no complaints with that

Yesterday was very much two training matches aimed at giving players game time.

We can all guess what the team may be for the Blackpool game - but until the Villa game has come and gone, injuries and niggles assessed, then will be the time that NP will plan for Aug 7.

Yesterdays oppositions were very different - Exeter played mainly a young side, whereas Plymouth (I went to that one), seemed to treat it as a warm up for their first game of the season - they played a near first team, who made it tough to play through, and were at times cynical in their tackling - they had two or three yellow cards, which is quite rare for a friendly.  Because of that the team at Exeter was always going to look better - but I’m pretty sure the team played at Plymouth would have also won at Exeter.

Our team came through both games with no fresh injuries and more match fitness - objective achieved!

And ….. you never know we may have a new striker by Aug 7 which might affect the choice of attacking options!

Time wIll tell … have patience!

I imagine Pearson has an idea of shape/system now, but not sure how close he will be to a first choice XI.
I wasn't over impressed with Martin and that meant a slightly quieter Palmer.
I like Pring, but I think he'll be back up to JD. From what I've seen I'd have Simpson slightly ahead of Vyner for RB.
Kalas nailed on, so shoot out between Atkinson & Baker. I'm leaning towards Baker to start and ease RA into a new League.
James looks likely and going along with the sort of 4-2-3-1 , I think Nagy may start the season. Williams is obviously being nursed and hasn't done a 90. Even if he does the full game Vs Villa I'm not sure NP wink risk him.
Weimann, Palmer & COD look likely and that would leave Wells ( who I think has looked lively ) up front.

I think this will be close.

Bently
Simpson - Kalas - Baker - DaSilva

James - Nagy

Weimann - Palmer - ODowda

Wells

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I'd take Baker out as there's no point choosing him from the off as he will inevitably get injured. Best to use him sparingly to cover knocks etc. I can see the 3 cbs being rotated a bit because Kalas will be away for international breaks and will need to be rested, Baker is Baker and Atkinson is stepping up a level. 

Does seem to me we're looking to use Kalas Nagy and Wells from the start. 

Williams is clearly behind the others though and will probably play v Forest Green but it will take a few weeks before he is a mainstay for league games. 

It will evolve though. The plan has to be to get the developing players fully up to speed with NPs strategy as they are going to be the ones taking things forward if we ever do get Anywhere 

53 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I imagine Pearson has an idea of shape/system now, but not sure how close he will be to a first choice XI.
I like Pring, but I think he'll be back up to JD. From what I've seen I'd have Simpson slightly ahead of Vyner for RB.
Kalas nailed on, so shoot out between Atkinson & Baker. I'm leaning towards Baker to start and ease RA into a new League.
James looks likely and going along with the sort of 4-2-3-1 , I think Nagy may start the season. Williams is obviously being nursed and hasn't done a 90. Even if he does the full game Vs Villa I'm not sure NP wink risk him.
Weimann, Palmer & COD look likely and that would leave Wells ( who I think has looked lively ) up front.

Bently

James - Nagy

Wells

Id say that on paper thats our "best" 11 available at the moment... But we play on grass..... 

I would like to see this versus Blackpool;

Bentley

Simpson Kalas Atkinson DaSilva

Nagy James 

Weimann Palmer O’Dowda

Martin

strong bench inlcluding: Wells, Williams, Vyner, Bakinson, Baker and more

lots to choose from

16 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I'd take Baker out as there's no point choosing him from the off as he will inevitably get injured. Best to use him sparingly to cover knocks etc. I can see the 3 cbs being rotated a bit because Kalas will be away for international breaks and will need to be rested, Baker is Baker and Atkinson is stepping up a level. 

Does seem to me we're looking to use Kalas Nagy and Wells from the start. 

Williams is clearly behind the others though and will probably play v Forest Green but it will take a few weeks before he is a mainstay for league games. 

It will evolve though. The plan has to be to get the developing players fully up to speed with NPs strategy as they are going to be the ones taking things forward if we ever do get Anywhere 

There is an argument (I’m no sports scientist) that we got off to a flyer last season because of our pre-season, but that it was flawed over the longer-term….as it was the equivalent of using those cheaply Varta batteries rather than Duracell…and they quickly stopped working.

I do remember Brentford getting off to a slow start, but Frank saying they’d tried to do a normal pre-season as it was tried and tested, rather than try to condense it (unknown impact) hence they were still, in effect, in pre-season mode when the season started.  ??‍♂️

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Bently

James - Nagy

Wells

I think its as you’ve posted except Atkinson starts as 1st opponent is Blackpool who he will have played against last season in L1 so no better time to get him started and Baker will be his back up.

I think a bit too much is being read into the line-ups. Essentially the Plymouth line-up was a continuation of the team that lined up for our first friendly but that had as much to do with Kalas, Williams, Nagy and Wells being unavailable as it was that the Plymouth team is our "first team". 

Certainly all eleven players in the Plymouth game have a fair chance of being part of our regular starting line-up but so too do Simpson, Kalas, Nagy, Williams and Wells - not forgetting Massengo and Semenyo when they come back from injury.

I think we'll get more clues on Saturday from the Villa game but, even then, I don't necessarily think that will be our starting line-up against Blackpool. 

4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

The major reasons for the choice of players for each match is to:-

Ensure all are match fit.

Allow all of the squad to play with all the others in the squad.

To ensure that all squad members are given a fair chance to become a regular on the team sheet. Tell them early on the that they are only second or third choice and it kills their ambition.

All will know that they have to compete with several others to gain a starting place.

Exactly what I was going to add.

Mixing up the players who you would deem "first 11" players with the rest of the squad, will show how well the younger/reserve players mix with the "first choice". 

Some players may have played themselves into contention, others have probably showed Pearson and the coaching team exactly what they thought beforehand - either not good enough, or not yet quite ready.

The last friendly will probably be closer to the team that will appear for the first league game of the season, whilst others will probably still get minutes, albeit from the bench to ensure that certain players (thinking more along the lines of Williams) don't overdo it, or pick up an unnecessary knock.

33 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

I think its as you’ve posted except Atkinson starts as 1st opponent is Blackpool who he will have played against last season in L1 so no better time to get him started and Baker will be his back up.

In the playoffs he got the run around apparently and didn't handle Yates especially well. 

My gut feeling is there's a definite disparity, at present, between his ability and Baker's - too much of a one for Atkinson to be first choice LCB. Just a guess, but I'm expecting Baker's quality to be superior although fully expect Atkinson to get his chance soon enough.  Then again, I might be pleasantly surprised. 

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Bently

James - Nagy

Wells

With the exception of Atkinson possibly starting instead of Baker for me, I think that’s spot on.

It would be insanity to rush Williams back when he is still unable to last 90 minutes in friendlies less than 10 days before the season begins, (how did that go last season?) especially as we have King & Bakinson available as well & Martin simply isn’t mobile enough to play the lone striker role, so can only start alongside Wells in place of Palmer, or we go with this set up, which seems more logical.

Archived