IGNORED

George Nurse

Red Army 75

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bearing in mind 2 years left on contract, Cheltenham keen (missed out on Harper too whilst they waited), I suspect there’s a fee involved….albeit somewhere in the £50-100k plus percentage of any future deal.  Not like we would want him off the wage bill per se?

I suspect that it is low but with a high sell on or some kind of buy back option.  Interesting that as soon as Ashton leaves we start doing business with Cotts. 

Good move for him. I know someone who played left back for Cotts who can't speak highly enough of him

9 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Perhaps the lad knew he was going to be 3rd choice and have very little chance of game time, so asked to leave because he wanted to start playing regularly and kick start his career? 

He probably knew when he was told

'you're 3rd choice George. But we've just had a  offer from Shrewsbury that we've accepted.  Do you want to speak to them?'

33 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Obvious? How have you worked that out? 

It might just as easily be Pearson does like him but has made a pragmatic decision that we don't need 3 Left backs.

Not sure Cotts is any more a fan of loans than Pearson.  

Good luck to the lad. 

It seems to be a feature in other countries that a bigger club sells a promising player who has a blocked pathway to a smaller club but has a generous buy back clause written into the arrangement.  Is that allowed in England?

Can we buy George Nurse back for say £300,000 within the next 2 years ?  For example.

50 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Obvious? How have you worked that out? 

It might just as easily be Pearson does like him but has made a pragmatic decision that we don't need 3 Left backs.

Not sure Cotts is any more a fan of loans than Pearson.  

Good luck to the lad. 

He certainly didn’t like loan signings being selected for him!!

We don’t need 3 left backs and for all we know Nurse might have forced the issue and wanted to get out and play more games…. Even if that means dropping down a level. I’d admire him for that.  

37 minutes ago, The Bard said:

It seems to be a feature in other countries that a bigger club sells a promising player who has a blocked pathway to a smaller club but has a generous buy back clause written into the arrangement.  Is that allowed in England?

Can we buy George Nurse back for say £300,000 within the next 2 years ?  For example.

Yes, you can.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Bearing in mind 2 years left on contract, Cheltenham keen (missed out on Harper too whilst they waited), I suspect there’s a fee involved….albeit somewhere in the £50-100k plus percentage of any future deal.  Not like we would want him off the wage bill per se?

Well you'd need to factor in how much you'd spend if you activated his option, so really its 12 months left or you spend another £50k - £100k by activating it so we've probably saved that 50-100 if we think he wouldn't have made it.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I don't know where Shrewsbury would get that kind of money from. Unless it's bonus based, I.E. Promotion, and most likely a hefty sell on %. 

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

I like the sound of that.

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Well you'd need to factor in how much you'd spend if you activated his option, so really its 12 months left or you spend another £50k - £100k by activating it so we've probably saved that 50-100 if we think he wouldn't have made it.

I misread his new deal in Aug 2020 as a 2 year extension, not a 2 yr deal….so only one year left, no option.  Think you are gonna be right, gonna be free / nominal fee, plus undoubtedly a sell-on.

1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

my only issue about this transfer. George has been with city for 13 years we have looked after his football development which wont have been cheap and then we give him away for nothing. seems wrong to me

Where were the queues of potential buyers for the lad ?

You can only sell what someone wants to buy. Shrewsbury don’t strike me as a hugely rich club so we can only get the best deal possible and look after the player and the reputation of our football club as a decent one for young people to join.

my only issue about this transfer. George has been with city for 13 years we have looked after his football development which wont have been cheap and then we give him away for nothing. seems wrong to me

He’s only worth what someone is willing to pay? They get a decent player who, if he continues to develop and improve, gets a good move in due course then everyone wins. Not every player we develop will even make it in League football. He’s a success story. 

How do you know what the transfer deal is in financial terms? Where is the evidence that we have "given him away"?

Maybe he asked to go to get regular league football? Maybe Cotts decided that he would be an ideal member of his squad as he can play in three positions and made an offer for him?

Lets just wish him well and as someone with an interest in STFC, I hope he helps them back to the second tier of English football where they were when Nigel Pearson played for them.

I see it a different way. Yes he didn’t make it with us and we received a smallish fee for him. But the academy have developed him as a footballer and a person who will go on to having a career as a professional footballer. Out of the hundreds of academy players very few go on to be a professional footballers and fewer more end up playing for Bristol City. I expect the club and academy are very proud of George Nurse.

Good luck to him

2 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

And the 1000's of players before and after him. Most don't even make it into professional football. He's done well to bag a deal with another pro club. If he excels we will get a cut of his next transfer. Good luck to him!

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I misread his new deal in Aug 2020 as a 2 year extension, not a 2 yr deal….so only one year left, no option.  Think you are gonna be right, gonna be free / nominal fee, plus undoubtedly a sell-on.

Does that mean your contracts document had a fault in it? ?

3 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

Hard to see what the issue is. This happens all the time.

What do you suggest? As we do not think he will make it with us, rather than sell him, should we keep him on and get him to do non-related football things? Maybe chauffeur the first team squad around or a bit of photocopying until our return on investment is paid off?

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

How do you know what the transfer deal is in financial terms? Where is the evidence that we have "given him away"?

Maybe he asked to go to get regular league football? Maybe Cotts decided that he would be an ideal member of his squad as he can play in three positions and made an offer for him?

Lets just wish him well and as someone with an interest in STFC, I hope he helps them back to the second tier of English football where they were when Nigel Pearson played for them.

On top of which, only other option is to wait until his contract expires, and he leave for nothing. 

The reality he is a 22 year old who, whilst he might or might not have the ability to make it at Championship level, is stuck behind two other left backs who are only a year older than him*, with two other players a bit younger than him on his heels. It's not fair on players to just stockpile them and we have to move on anyone who doesn't have a path to the first team. 

*Btw am I the only one that didn't realise until I looked it up that Pring is 3 months' older than Dasilva?

4 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Does that mean your contracts document had a fault in it? ?

Nope, 100% human error!

As for Nurse, City Academy has a duty to try to develop all of the youngsters as much as they can.  In a numbers game, most aren’t gonna make it as full-time pros.  The fact that Nurse has signed for a Lg1 club should be seen as a success.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Nope, 100% human error!

As for Nurse, City Academy has a duty to try to develop all of the youngsters as much as they can.  In a numbers game, most aren’t gonna make it as full-time pros.  The fact that Nurse has signed for a Lg1 club should be seen as a success.

I think that's where the academy has developed, before 1 or 2 were making it and not many were going to league clubs, now you're maybe still getting the same success rate (waiting to see on current crop) but more players are now signing permanently for L1/L2 clubs, when the batch of Nurse, Morton etc were academy players (not sure how long ago Baldwin joined the academy) City were probably either a L1 club or bottom end championships, so producing L1 players wasn't an issue, now its about upping the game more regularly which is seen by the higher standard academy cast offs are reaching.

11 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

How much did you expect us to get?

I must have missed the bit this summer where League One clubs were so awash with money in a Covid transfer market that they are spending huge sums on players?

Ipswich aside, no one at the level is spending any money at all.

This is great news!!  NP stated that we needed to sell before recruiting a striker...................We have now sold someone, ........So "Phew!!" we can now go out and buy that "Put the ball in the net" Striker that we have all been longing for?  ..... Or am I missing something Nige?

Archived