IGNORED

Celtic Out!

REDOXO

Celtic are a pretty fascinating case study on what can happen to a club if you don't have a proper structure in place.

They should be pushing for CL qualification every year. They give a decent platform to players, they've had some good players in the recent past that they've sold for good money, but they had a CEO who had far too much control, they didn't put proper footballing, scouting and recruitment structures in place, and they've paid the price in recent years.

They've often faltered in these qualifying matches recently because they've been missing a couple of important players, but this year to say they are 'in transition' is putting it mildly - they probably need about 8 players to be anywhere near good enough and finished tonights game with four largely inexperienced kids in their back four. They are in a shambolic situation at the moment.

I can only hope City don't make the same mistakes and improve and invest in our entire footballing department, regardless of who our manager is.

3 minutes ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

Celtic are a pretty fascinating case study on what can happen to a club if you don't have a proper structure in place.

They should be pushing for CL qualification every year. They give a decent platform to players, they've had some good players in the recent past that they've sold for good money, but they had a CEO who had far too much control, they didn't put proper footballing, scouting and recruitment structures in place, and they've paid the price in recent years.

They've often faltered in these qualifying matches recently because they've been missing a couple of important players, but this year to say they are 'in transition' is putting it mildly - they probably need about 8 players to be anywhere near good enough and finished tonights game with four largely inexperienced kids in their back four. They are in a shambolic situation at the moment.

I can only hope City don't make the same mistakes and improve and invest in our entire footballing department, regardless of who our manager is.

Their biggest mistake was taking a massively backward step by re-employing Lennon, they are now paying the cost, shame, it was a good crack in the coach tonight for a while

Just now, harrys said:

Their biggest mistake was taking a massively backward step by re-employing Lennon, they are now paying the cost, shame, it was a good crack in the coach tonight for a while

Absolutely. Lennon did a good job coming in and finishing the season when Rodgers left, but he should never have been brought back permanently. Horribly short sighted, but sums up many of the decisions the board made at that time. 

• Admin
17 minutes ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

They should be pushing for CL qualification every year. 

Curious why they should be pushing for CL qualification every year? 

The Scottish leagues are a terrible standard and Celtic consistently get dumped out of these qualification stages, it's hardly a one off

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

Curious why they should be pushing for CL qualification every year? 

The Scottish leagues are a terrible standard and Celtic consistently get dumped out of these qualification stages, it's hardly a one off

Because, despite the leagues relatively poor strength, in recent years the league champions have still been given a favourable path to qualification. Celtic have lost to teams such as Ferencvaros, AEK Athens and Cluj that they should have been dispatching fairly easily.

The fact it isn't a one off is exactly my point about their poor ownership.

I'd expect Rangers to qualify for the group stages this season (they've done very well in Europe under Gerrard), and there is every chance that the winners of the league this season will have automatic qualification to the group stages next year.

2 hours ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

Sounds very, very familiar to our recent CEO/footballing mastermind  doesn’t it ?

8 hours ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

Absolutely. Lennon did a good job coming in and finishing the season when Rodgers left, but he should never have been brought back permanently. Horribly short sighted, but sums up many of the decisions the board made at that time. 

This was the moment. Rangers were on the up and instead of spending smart on a man to out manoeuvre Gerrard, they went for  man who may bleed green, but is not a good manager. You get what you deserve in football though and Celtic deserve what they've got which is sad for me. I'd even go as far to say that I'd be tempted to put money on Aberdeen finishing 2nd this year, because Celtic will be bad.  

11 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Just wait for the wailing Scots on Talk sport tomorrow arguing that 'big' Scottish clubs should be allowed into the Premier League.

I thought the majority who rang into TALKSPORT. were fairly rational and one fan even equated Celtic to a L2 side whereas the presenter was more generous and did actually say L1.

6 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

I thought the majority who rang into TALKSPORT. were fairly rational and one fan even equated Celtic to a L2 side whereas the presenter was more generous and did actually say L1.

Perry Groves said last night Sunderland would finish above Celtic in League one and Rangers would be near the top of the Championship.

2 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

IMO both clubs would only get into playoffs if they were in league 1 

Rangers are a very good team you saw that in the Europa League last season and have a top manager. They would def be challenging playoffs in the Championship.

3 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

This was the moment. Rangers were on the up and instead of spending smart on a man to out manoeuvre Gerrard, they went for  man who may bleed green, but is not a good manager. You get what you deserve in football though and Celtic deserve what they've got which is sad for me. I'd even go as far to say that I'd be tempted to put money on Aberdeen finishing 2nd this year, because Celtic will be bad.  

I think I’d put money on Hibs rather than Aberdeen. (Although despite beating Arsenal they did lose to Accrington Stanley)

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Celtic - knocked out of the champions league before it’s even started properly?!!! The Glasgow-based club that flies the Irish tricolour over its Stadium whenever it wins the Scottish Premiership in preference to the Union Flag or Scottish Saltire? Oh dear, how sad .... 

They still have the Europa league. Will they do any better against a Czech side whose manager apparently has a very impulsive style of coaching  and is well known for his arguments with fans & colleagues

1 hour ago, Super said:

Rangers are a very good team you saw that in the Europa League last season and have a top manager. They would def be challenging playoffs in the Championship.

Not to sure about that 

For the first season they would be every teams cup final and every team would be right up to do them

Thats why i think they would struggle 

1 hour ago, Super said:

I broadly agree. I think the Scottish team in Glasgow are a decent outfit who would be challenging automatic in the Championship/struggling Premiership whereas the Irish mob are very ordinary and certainly not the standard that many of their deluded fans think they are. I think they'd win the League of Ireland though to be fair to them.

Archived