IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

17 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:
26 minutes ago, Big Phil said:

I recently read a book called 'Bovver' written by a Bristol Rovers fan who followed them through the 70's & 80's in which he alluded to the notion that although City had a slightly larger fanbase Rovers had the far tougher element within Bristol and all the 'softies' supported City. Is there any truth in this or is the author being biased?

I take it ,it was filed under "Junior Fiction" !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Back on subject really nice of the gas to build a much needed car park for the 30k students at UWE, that's community spirit indeed.

It's not a very big car park 

image.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Big Phil said:

I recently read a book called 'Bovver' written by a Bristol Rovers fan who followed them through the 70's & 80's in which he alluded to the notion that although City had a slightly larger fanbase Rovers had the far tougher element within Bristol and all the 'softies' supported City. Is there any truth in this or is the author being biased?

How long did it take to colour in?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Big Phil said:

Who was dopey/deranged/daring (you choose) enough to go to Millwall in the mid 80s and "have a pop" resulting in years of back and forth trouble - City or Rovers? 

43 minutes ago, Big Phil said:

He must be talking about all those softies from Knowle West and Hartcliffe I suppose.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big Phil said:

Usual gas mythology rules apply.

Between the author (Chris Brown) and their chaplain who bangs on all the time about previously being in the National Front and a reformed hooligan, I reckon they could write about ten series of Jackanory without pausing for breath...

As a fifty something who grew up a Red in an alleged Rovers area as a kid and is old enough to remember when football hooliganism was at its height, this allegation is just laughable.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Big Phil said:

Chris Brown did embellish the merits of his little lot in that book and tried to explain away why they shat themselves on a regular basis from around 1977 onwards.to the extent that they simply could not come into the city centre any longer However it is a fact that in 1973/74 they had a mob of older larger men in their twenties and on a one to one basis they were a handful.

30 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Between the author (Chris Brown) and their chaplain who bangs on all the time about previously being in the National Front and a reformed hooligan, I reckon they could write about ten series of Jackanory without pausing for breath...

Yes, on very thin ice, don't think he'll get to heaven !

37 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

As a fifty something who grew up a Red in an alleged Rovers area as a kid and is old enough to remember when football hooliganism was at its height, this allegation is just laughable.

16 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Chris Brown did embellish the merits of his little lot in that book and tried to explain away why they shat themselves on a regular basis from around 1977 onwards.to the extent that they simply could not come into the city centre any longer However it is a fact that in 1973/74 they had a mob of older larger men in their twenties and on a one to one basis they were a handful.

Absolutely nothing to do with me, thanks. ;)

Edited by Chris_Brown
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Eazy said:

I 8 you shit ed *****. Would one of you like scummy lot like to meet one on one tonight?

For imagination and effort, umm, out of 10, that will to be 0.

Comedy value, that has to be 10

He wants to meet us all at 1:35 no doubt

3 hours ago, Eazy said:

I 8 you shit ed *****. Would one of you like scummy lot like to meet one on one tonight?

I've never paid for sex in my life, not going to start now sunshine, I'd stick with the methadone if I was you, those drugs clearly only addle your brain cell.

As to SGR stadium plans, does anyone know of any other stadium having the car park built first?

Are they looking for naming rights from NCP?

Or is this the new funding plan i.e. car parking fees?

3 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

As to SGR stadium plans, does anyone know of any other stadium having the car park built first?

Are they looking for naming rights from NCP?

Or is this the new funding plan i.e. car parking fees?

Not a public car park, but I believe the Emirates has underground parking beneath it, possibly staff only. I remember it being part of the requirements for the stadium that on street parking wouldn't be affected for residents. In this case I'd imagine the car park being done first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

Our memories are unreliable though, notoriously so, how we remember things is invariably little to do with the reality of events. Did Chris Brown keep a diary? Did he get home from a hard day's "aggro" on the Tote and Stapleton Road and an evening down the Bamboo Club, sit down and then make careful notes of the day's events? Even at that distance, about five hours, his memory would've been highly selective and inaccurate ; sitting down to write after 25 years or more would involve a considerable amount of imagination. Most of what he's written will be how he wants to remember those days, rather than accurately portraying events. We all sit with a perfect view and watch Marlon Pack in midfield but you don't get one opinion on how he's played. We see things as we are (in his case, gas) not as they are, as someone once noted. All the time I watch replays of goals or moments in matches and it is never quite as I remembered it in my mind, always a little different.

Not disputing your recollection of their "larger men" and them having a mob back then, but the book, like all these books, is a work of fiction and imagination, put together from tiny fragments of memory and with a strong desire to maintain some pride and reputation. Even in their 50s, there's still a lot of the little boy in the playground in blokes when it comes to football. As we see on this thread all the time!

Another point to make about memory is - just to raise the tone here, briefly - that each time we recall an event we reconstruct it, every time. It changes. We are adding to it, or "forgetting" things. Painful memories, those that are damaging to self esteem (when the Tote took a hiding say), are surpressed. Memory is selective, adaptive, flexible. That's if I remember my neuroscience studies correctly  ;)

That's why I love looking at old league tables (and attendance records): if we didn't have them, we'd have Rovers insisting they have been the better team all these years and better home crowds, even more than they already do! 

44 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Our memories are unreliable though, notoriously so, how we remember things is invariably little to do with the reality of events. Did Chris Brown keep a diary? Did he get home from a hard day's "aggro" on the Tote and Stapleton Road and an evening down the Bamboo Club, sit down and then make careful notes of the day's events? Even at that distance, about five hours, his memory would've been highly selective and inaccurate ; sitting down to write after 25 years or more would involve a considerable amount of imagination. Most of what he's written will be how he wants to remember those days, rather than accurately portraying events. We all sit with a perfect view and watch Marlon Pack in midfield but you don't get one opinion on how he's played. We see things as we are (in his case, gas) not as they are, as someone once noted. All the time I watch replays of goals or moments in matches and it is never quite as I remembered it in my mind, always a little different.

Not disputing your recollection of their "larger men" and them having a mob back then, but the book, like all these books, is a work of fiction and imagination, put together from tiny fragments of memory and with a strong desire to maintain some pride and reputation. Even in their 50s, there's still a lot of the little boy in the playground in blokes when it comes to football. As we see on this thread all the time!

Yes, who's going to write (or indeed read) about ....we got belted again, we ran AGAIN !

5 hours ago, Big Phil said:

He's hardly going to write a book about Rovers and say they were softies!

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Was there and done it, brought up in Rovers area, been on more terraces that a few including the dreaded Tote end (What a Laugh) done the walk up Stapleton Road when we marched from Old Market, don't know where they were that day  

2 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

@Jack Firstly Chris Brown DID keep a diary and I know that for a fact. The book IS therefore based upon real events but like Henry V said pre Agincourt participants will embellish those facts. I would say therefore that we are looking at five hours rather than 25 years. Indeed I also know for a fact that he researched "incidents" with former foes on our side of the fence to ensure he got the "who hit whom when" correct.I don't know if you have read the book Jack but despite bunging up the Rovers on occasion it is undoubtedly one of the best of it's type offering a snapshot of life for a teenage lad throughout the 70's in terms of agro (of course) clothes music non football hellraising and relationships.

Regarding earlier comments about their chaplain I have met Dave J in his current "form" and you will be hard pressed to find a better person and certainly someone who became very close to our man Divvy in his latter days .

As for the large men I could name them for you and people of a certain age will know exactly who I am talking about - and they were certainly large if you were a 16/17 year old in different colours !

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

@Jack Firstly Chris Brown DID keep a diary and I know that for a fact. The book IS therefore based upon real events but like Henry V said pre Agincourt participants will embellish those facts. I would say therefore that we are looking at five hours rather than 25 years. Indeed I also know for a fact that he researched "incidents" with former foes on our side of the fence to ensure he got the "who hit whom when" correct.I don't know if you have read the book Jack but despite bunging up the Rovers on occasion it is undoubtedly one of the best of it's type offering a snapshot of life for a teenage lad throughout the 70's in terms of agro (of course) clothes music non football hellraising and relationships.

Regarding earlier comments about their chaplain I have met Dave J in his current "form" and you will be hard pressed to find a better person and certainly someone who became very close to our man Divvy in his latter days .

As for the large men I could name them for you and people of a certain age will know exactly who I am talking about - and they were certainly large if you were a 16/17 year old in different colours !

Based on real events maybe Loon but neuroscience tells us our recall of those events, the details, the nuances, is unreliable and not to be taken as fact! I'm with neuroscience on this, not the Tote End  :thumbsup:

• Like 1