IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

We are so obsessed with them because we have this 3000 page thread about them apparently?

I for one admit that I am indeed obsessed with the Gas. I am totally and utterly obsessed with the squatters and these are the reasons why....

Just mentioning the name of Bristol City Football Club causes a Gashead to go into an a strange teddy (no pun intended) throwing meltdown. They usually start frothing like a rabid dog spouting all kinds of rubbish and it usually starts with a correction of the "actual" name of Bristol City stating that it contains the year 1982 followed by pointing out that it's "Limited". This is followed quite quickly by being told to "**** off. You S***head C***". 

If you stand your ground they then threaten to treat you like they would treat a horse or one of their own stewards. They mention the "Tote End" as if to rubber stamp how serious they are about fast tracking you an appointment with the B.R.I. 

Then, in a quite bizarre twist they insinuate that somehow this is all YOUR fault, not theirs. Rule 1 of their Bristol City Fight Club is not to mention the name Bristol City (unless it contains 1982 in the middle).

If for whatever reason you manage to avoid physical assault the verbal assault continues....

The 2nd of May is mentioned (not the 2001 one which saw Wycombe relegate them to the basement)

Dean Windass

Rickie Lambert's goal

72 attendance for an EFL cup tie on a Tuesday night in Scunthorpe 

The library that is Ashton Gate

How they would assault Santa if he turned up at their house wearing red

A complete ban on anything red full stop

How they are the richest and oldest football club in Bristol (both factually incorrect)

How they are the best loyal and faithful and true fans in the whole wide world (the riot when the were relegated out of the football league was caused by Ted's and therefore doesn't count against them)

And the big one.....How many fans they took to an away game! It is the number one question on all Gasheads lips "How many did we take?".

I am obsessed with how 90% of their terrace songs mention Bristol City 

How they react with an overspilling uncontainable sense of joy when they win and City lose.

How they point out our misfortunes before we even know about it through official channels.

How at the very core of every Gas supporter the holy grail is only achieved at the expense of Bristol City in some way:-

Rovers win and City lose

They beat City 

City lose

Anything negative about City

How they can become richer than Bristol City 

How many more fans they can take to an away game than Bristol City

How they are "coming for Bristol City"

When they go above Bristol City

When they finish higher than Bristol City

How disgusted they are with media bias towards Bristol City

How they think they have "one over on Ted's" and quickly plaster it all over social media, only to end up finding out that they have got it wrong or that something happens that makes their claim null and void, which leaves them with egg on their face, looking stupid and causing them to want to fight with any 'Ted who mentions it going forward.

They can dish it out but just cannot take it back without erupting.

How they see themselves as a family club

It seems that the life of a Bristol Rovers supporter is tough. Deep down they know that they pulled the short straw when choosing a team to support. They know that they are pretty much destined for an entire lifetime of poor quality football in the lower divisions, but still they cling on to the dream that one day they can become the biggest club in the west and challenging at the top end of the Premiership adored throughout the land. They carry with them the burning sense of injustice and jealousy with their near neighbours having tasted top flight football, and league and cup success from time to time. It hurts to know that a club that was built from ashes has still managed to achieve more than them since 1982. It hurts, and that hurt runs deep.

But like an alcoholic in denial they continue to punish themselves with watching kick and rush park football every week whatever the weather, and to save their sanity they tell themselves that they are gods chosen ones, they are the innocent, the loved, the faithful and true, the best club ever, the ONLY choice, and that if you fail to see their reality then you must be an "Obsessed 'Ted".

Edited by Cheesleysmate
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

We then have two seasons of finishing comfortably above them, handing out 4 nice defeats in the process.  Finally, in 2019/20 we romp to the Championship title as they descend once more into League 1 and oblivion.

@phantom in my defence I did make it clear that we would have some hard evidence that we remain superior.  

Maybe not living in Bristol shields me from the crowing.  Every cloud I guess.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

But would a small part of you not love to have the derby resurrected, perhaps for a season or two.

For me the ideal would be that we finish this season somewhere between 7th and 10th.  This would be a great season, and a huge improvement on last season.  However, we would avoid the pain of the (inevitable) play-off loss and be able to plan for 2017/18 knowing where we stood.

At the same time Rovers do manage to get promoted.  

We then have two seasons of finishing comfortably above them, handing out 4 nice defeats in the process.  Finally, in 2019/20 we romp to the Championship title as they descend once more into League 1 and oblivion.

If they do come up then yes, that would do nicely, however no "ideal" scenario of mine could ever include them getting promoted in the first place! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

If they do come up then yes, that would do nicely, however no "ideal" scenario of mine could ever include them getting promoted in the first place! 

If they do come up then fair play to them. It would be a quite unbelievable achievement considering that they were buried in the conference only two years ago. Apparently their fans were moaning last night against Fleetwood. Blimey, a Goldfish has a longer memory than a Gashead obviously?!

Also goes to prove what a delusional bunch they are too!

Edited by Cheesleysmate
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, glynriley said:

TBF, If Roverzzz do secure 3 consecutive promotions it will be a fantastic achievement.

However, as I pointed out to a gAsshole at work the other day, 1 of those would have been from a semi professional league,so the first one isn't much to crow about.

Would actually make it all the more remarkable-they have momentum and belief-crucial ingredients,so no surprises to anyone should they do it.

The surprise would be if such a rapid rate of ascent is sustainable,and that they were to flourish at such an altitude.

My money would be on sudden decompression,with emergency descent to a less rarified environment..

17 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Still havent heard a noise from the Mem despite living on Filton Avenue, Horfield for the last 6 months.

Check out my profile,and I've lived here since before they squatted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Is that really the sort of drivel you have come to expect from your local newspaper?  Jesus Christ on a bike, that is PROPER embarrassing.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Would be quite funny if Rovers went up, started crowing about being in the same division and "we're coming for you", only for us to win the playoffs a few weeks later.

Even funnier if we both made the play offs and, after weeks of 'we're coming for you' we went up and they didn't.

It won't happen, we'll end up about 10th this year and they'll be the same. We'll feel like we've missed out and they'll be celebrating a fantastic season.

On 02/11/2016 at 18:08, SalisburyRed said:

Even funnier if we both made the play offs and, after weeks of 'we're coming for you' we went up and they didn't.

It won't happen, we'll end up about 10th this year and they'll be the same. We'll feel like we've missed out and they'll be celebrating a fantastic season.

If we finish 10th I will be delighted...certainly won't feel that we've missed out. We can't do play offs anyway, we just can't!

2 hours ago, Sergio Georgini said:

Yet annoyingly the 2015ers have a decent play off record. That's something they have over us, I guess.

Big difference in a league 1 and 2 playoff final compared to championship play off final.

Lets face it without a revamped stadium or brand new one they wont attract the players to progress to the championship.

Edited by Kodjias Wrist

I was looking at the dates for the play off dates and was wondering if the EFL know something Rovers and City fans don't

League One Final is the 20th May, and Legaue Two is28th and Championship 29th. Perhaps they are trying to keep us apart that weekend:whistle:

Edited by Hello

12 minutes ago, roylegalatyeo said:

Just a thought Rovers in their total football league history have only spent a total of 6 seasons in a higher division than City.1953 to 55,1960 to 62 and 82 to 84.fact.

But they only came into the league in 2015. If they must persist with the 1982 cr@p then their previous incarnations don't count either.

BRHPFW (2015) FC have never been above us.

• Like 3

Don't ya just hate it when they turn any criticism of their own fans into a dig at us?!

On gaschat they are complaining that some of their fans booed their team before they equalised against Fleetwood, and posts quickly said stuff along the lines of 'that's what city fans do' and 'what I like about gasheads is that we never criticise our team unlike the sh*theads' etc etc etc....

Why does every discussion about their fans, club etc inevitably end in a dig at us and our supposed 'cr*p support' - which incidentally has long, long, long been at levels they can only dream about in their entire lifetimes...?!

And they think we are obsessed...they just can't help themselves....

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Don't ya just hate it when they turn any criticism of their own fans into a dig at us?!

On gaschat they are complaining that some of their fans booed their team before they equalised against Fleetwood, and posts quickly said stuff along the lines of 'that's what city fans do' and 'what I like about gasheads is that we never criticise our team unlike the sh*theads' etc etc etc....

Why does every discussion about their fans, club etc inevitably end in a dig at us and our supposed 'cr*p support' - which incidentally has long, long, long been at levels they can only dream about in their entire lifetimes...?!

And they think we are obsessed...they just can't help themselves....

Yeh well we know why this thread came about and it was off the back of all their obsessive parties, threads and getting on their knees to windass. We rarely boo and hope we never do when we are in the playoffs :facepalm:.

The other ironic thing about this is that on radio bristol i always noticed you get rovers fans slating their manager and even asking for his head after two defeats on the trot and then think they are going up after two wins on the trot.

Edited by Kodjias Wrist

2 hours ago, SalisburyRed said:

But they only came into the league in 2015. If they must persist with the 1982 cr@p then their previous incarnations don't count either.

BRHPFW (2015) FC have never been above us.

Not sure how that makes any sense as we are still the same football club regardless of division

57 minutes ago, Hello said:

Not sure how that makes any sense as we are still the same football club regardless of division

But your holding company was formed in 2015, making you less than 2 years old, and the 'football club' is a limited company which has been reconstituted several times in its lifespan. 

• Like 2