IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

4 minutes ago, cynic said:

They aint happy bunnies at the moment what with their pasty hut being condemned. :laughcont:

Scored one and conceded five in their two league games - sounds like they need a striker, one they can rely upon completely to win them games, one who can get in behind defences, sliding in unnoticed like a snake. Where on Earth could they find one of them ? And could they afford him, must be 10m at least.:whistle:

And all their eggs in one basket with 'ol Wally - no new stadium (as if there was going to be), and no prospects at all of redeveloping the dump - regenerating it maybe which is totally different and which they haven't yet latched on to, and is what Wally said they would do. In fact, he's started to do that with new "championship ready"(?) sprinklers complete with a bucket of sand to cover them up when not in use, a new tent, and a canopy for something or other.

Bit of fun to be had down the pub tonight :yawn:

I think they have reached the point where without investment they can go no further.

Just don't imagine Wally is going to start writing significant cheques anytime soon.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, martnewts said:

Next bit of great professionalism they failed to open the "megastore" in kings wood where apparently the unwashed needed to collect tickets for yesterday's game https://bristolroverssc.co.uk/2017/08/12/an-apology/

Oh my days!!!!    "giving, on, gift, keeps".......well you know the rest.  NURSE....... THE SCREENS!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, harrys said:

Please tell me you are joking about a "condemned pasty hut" oh the gift

Is there any chance we can re-title the thread 'The Gift List'?

It may also hopefully help sags that do assume we're obsessed to actually, finally, understand where we come from.

#Condemned pasty hut #sixth richest club #ticktock

• Like 3

The gullibility of the blue few ceases to amaze me.

Most of the delusional fans now profess that UWE falling through is a good thing, and that the redevelopment of the Memorial Stadium is the way forward.

No sheet!

Even though they have no plan's in place or probable funding.

Most of the the sad sags are still putting their blind faith behind the camel jockey, amazing.

Then again, where else can they turn.

All hail the Wael. Go on babber, finish them, just don't lose your Rolex. 

• Like 1

On 12/08/2017 at 13:17, st andrews gas said:

We will not go away- you know it. You've managed to live  with our presence up to now..and we of course just want to see you suffer- I admit we have had/are getting more than a fair share of suffering, but we are used to it.Makes yours when it comes all the more satisfying...

You're just a blot on the landscape.

Whilst you're standing on terrace of your ramshackle swamp of a rugby ground believing yet another new owner's stadium wet dreams, meanwhile in the real world football is changing at a pace and leaving you behind.

Nobody wants you and I don't think your Chelsea supporting owner would give two sheiks if he could get rid.

Let's face it, you're an embarrassment.

• Like 2

On 10/08/2017 at 23:26, Rich said:

Very nice of you to come on here and bring your "news". You are welcome to come on here, unlike other sites, unfortunately, if you do bring "news" onto this site to so say correct somebody, please make it accurate. You can get away with misrepresentations on the other site but, not here.

Below is the obituary of Arthur Holmes, written on your clubs website in honour of him, by Mr Dunford in 2015. In it, he goes to great lengths to try and justify the deal, which seems rather strange, rather than celebrate the mans life. One wonders why. Please read and digest.

By Geoff Dunford

Arthur Holmes who passed peacefully away on January 4th aged 90 should be remembered by both Bristol Rugby club and Bristol Rovers with gratitude.

Arthur had to deal with rugby turning professional when it was not universally accepted. He carried this financial burden almost on his own. He was also the man who recognised sporting clubs could work closer together for mutual benefit

With the advent of professional rugby in the 1990's the top rugby clubs in the country had to make important decisions on their future.  Should they turn professional or retain their traditional amateur/semi professional roots?

Bristol Rugby Club decided to follow the professional route along with most of the top clubs in England, however, it did not go down well with some of the Bristol purists who either withdrew their financial support or did not contribute to the coffers of Bristol Rugby. This resulted in a lifeline for Bristol Rovers who were still playing in Bath and I was charged with negotiating a lease with Bristol Rugby to return Bristol Rovers to Bristol which was successful.

When I first met Arthur Holmes he was struggling to maintain Bristol on a sound financial footing and it seems he was fighting a lone battle. He needed financial support from other Bristol businessmen who were rugby fans, but the professional era was not popular. A deal was on the table to sell The Memorial Ground to a pension company and for the rugby club to rent it back. This was discussed at a Rovers board meeting and it was decided to offer the rugby club the same deal as the pension company but with the added benefit of starting a new company to acquire the stadium (The Memorial Stadium Company) with each club buying 50% of the shareholding for £10,000, and the rugby club would also receive £2.3m to solve their cash flow problems.

This option was far better than the pension company offer as it would result in the same amount of cash to the rugby club plus 50% ownership of the ground.

I found Arthur Holmes to be a gentleman in his business dealings and as a person. Indeed, he funded personally an amount of £250k to complete the sale to The Memorial Stadium Company as we were still short of funds at the deadline, to ensure Bristol Rugby could retain 50% ownership. (Arthur was made a Vice President of Bristol Rovers in light of this kind gesture.)

As we are only too aware in Football, professional sport is a difficult business to balance the books, and without further financial assistance from others who could have made a difference, Arthur, found the finances of professional rugby unsustainable without other benefactors.  Indeed, the only time offers of financial help came, it was too late as the club had already entered administration.

If either club entered administration, the other had the right to purchase the shares in the stadium company for the initial price of £10k to maintain their trading position, and this is what occurred.

Bristol Rugby survived turning professional and like most sports clubs needed very rich benefactors to help them maintain their progress.

Arthur Holmes loved rugby, and loved Bristol Rugby Club. If it wasn't for his support the rugby club would have disappeared into the amateur game and Bristol Rovers would still be playing elsewhere. Sometimes history gets twisted into rumour and sub plots, but rest assured, both Bristol Rugby and Bristol Rovers have reasons to thank Arthur Holmes for being in existence today.

Arthur, rest in peace, you were a true gentleman, something very rare in sporting circles today. Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Julie and family.

The deal you refer to with Amtrak, was I believe, to purchase the ground for £1m, then rent it back to the rugby club with a distribution center on the car park area. Suddenly there appeared a much better deal for £2m which Arthur negotiated and was better all round because the rugby club still got to own 50% of their own ground, except the rugby club got so little, as £2m was paid back to AH. There was only one club going to go bust and that was Bristol rugby, as they were haemorrhaging money, as on national journalist put it. At the time of the deal I remember a quote from Mr Dunford stating that, this was a great deal for BRFC, as we now have a 50% share in £6m worth of real estate for £2m.

So even back in those days Rovers were told a price and got someone else to pay a bit of it as they didn't want to pay the going rate? 

Unfortunately one of my neighbours plays for the blue few, despite being on of them he's quite a nice bloke. 

If only I could share some of the things he's told me in confidence. Let's just say, Uwe falling through and being bottom of the league is the least of their problems.

He did mention that he didn't blame Taylor for joining us and would have done exactly the same if in Taylors position.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Unfortunately one of my neighbours plays for the blue few, despite being on of them he's quite a nice bloke. 

If only I could share some of the things he's told me in confidence. Let's just say, Uwe falling through and being bottom of the league is the least of their problems.

He did mention that he didn't blame Taylor for joining us and would have done exactly the same if in Taylors position.

Is it Billy Bodin?

9 hours ago, Swede said:

Whilst you're standing on terrace of your ramshackle swamp of a rugby ground believing yet another new owner's stadium wet dreams, meanwhile in the real world football is changing at a pace and leaving you behind.

Nobody wants you and I don't think your Chelsea supporting owner would give two sheiks if he could get rid.

a post that is Sharp and madness at the same time. My cap is well and truly doffed.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Swede said:

can i then assume you dont like them 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SimonR said:

What new embarassments await them this week I wonder, My money is on a Labrador telling the Post that Darryl is the Father of her Puppies.

To be honest Simon, there is enough real stuff happening at their club that deserves to be ridiculed, to not to have to resort to these silly digs about their Manager.

1 hour ago, BCFC11 said:

Again?? It's about time the FA punished them for it now, how many times is that, 3?4?

The abuse came from individual people, and was reported by Rovers fans.  I think FA punishments are given for larger scale obscene chanting, which is reported by the referee, or another FA official at the game - not even sure they ever actually punished a club for racial chanting, they are an impotent authority at times.

There is no place for it on the terraces, or elsewhere, and I hope that the culprits are identified and suitably punished.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, BCFC11 said:

The amount of bullshit in that statement though :rofl2br:

'Some of the best fans in the country'

'Family Club'

'99.9% are brilliant supporters'

Never known a club like it. Belters from top to bottom.

Take that at face value. That would mean they had 9 or 10 individuals ot the ground on Saturday who think it's OK to dole out distasteful abuse. Should be quite easy to find, ban and hand over to the authorities then............  

2 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

The amount of bullshit in that statement though :rofl2br:

'Some of the best fans in the country'

'Family Club'

'99.9% are brilliant supporters'

Never known a club like it. Belters from top to bottom.

They are a family club....a White Supremacist, Horse Punching, Boob Cricket playing, till thieving, Season Ticket Scamming family!!!!!

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, In the Net said:

The abuse came from individual people, and was reported by Rovers fans.  I think FA punishments are given for larger scale obscene chanting, which is reported by the referee, or another FA official at the game - not even sure they ever actually punished a club for racial chanting, they are an impotent authority at times.

There is no place for it on the terraces, or elsewhere, and I hope that the culprits are identified and suitably punished.

To be fair every club has it's share but in Rover's case this sort of stuff has been going on for as long as I can remember, going back to the 70's Rovers were known to having a large far right following 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, harrys said:

To be fair every club has it's share but in Rover's case this sort of stuff has been going on for as long as I can remember, going back to the 70's Rovers were known to having a large far right following 

Correct. Many of their "lads" at the time were card carrying NF members.

• Like 1