IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

9 hours ago, cityal said:

I think it is high time to dispel this rubbish about "core support" with every gashead's nemesis - "facts" as opposed to #gaslogic

I took some time to analyse the historical attendance data often linked in this thread to see exactly how core support stacked up over the years between the two clubs. Needless to say if that website's data is even partially correct (and there is no reason to particularly doubt it) it confirms what we all knew already.

Attendances.thumb.jpg.c748ec261199379d0b450b74f9f0545c.jpg

So how to read this graph.....

It is based on the percentage difference in average attendances between the two clubs.  A blue bar means the gas were better supported that year, a red bar City were better supported. The size of the bar indicates the percentage difference in attendance.

For each year there is data (back to 1921, but none through WWII) I worked out the difference in attendance as a percentage of the lower of the two attendances - essentially what this figure tells you is how much the lower attended club would have needed to increase their own attendance to match the better supported club that year.

As an example last year we averaged 19256 and the blue few averaged 9302 - the difference is 9954, and that equates to an extra 107% deluded half-wits they would have needed to find (and fit into their dump) to have matched us.

Some observations....

Since England won the world cup just over 50 years ago rovers have had a higher average attendance once! 

Only on 6 occasions would we have needed a greater than 10% increase on our attendance in a season to match them 

There are 71 occasions where rovers would have needed a greater than 10% increase to match us

City have never needed to make up 50% or more to reach rovers attendance

On 21 occasions we have more than doubled their attendance (all figures >100% on the graph)

For AWAY support they are top every year....according to them. It's all about AWAY support....They even wrote a book on it! These stats are of Zero interest to Gasheads. They are the most amazingly AWAY supported team in the country....Well, they are in the top one anyway!

IMG_3932.JPG

1 minute ago, Cheesleysmate said:

For AWAY support they are top every year....according to them. It's all about AWAY support....They even wrote a book on it! These stats are of Zero interest to Gasheads. They are the most amazingly AWAY supported team in the country....Well, they are in the top one anyway!

IMG_3932.JPG

Edited by Bullshit?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

IMG_3932.JPG

1 minute ago, Super said:

Edited by Bullshit?

I hope it includes Tottenham in 1977.......Surely that was the best one of them all?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

IMG_3932.JPG

That's because away grounds tend to have toilets rather than portaloos. Well, except Swindon.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, semblar said:

So they could technically claim that there were 6 consecutive years where we didn't have larger attendances than them? Darn it, der Gas are just the hugest club and we have no hope of bettering them.....

If they count WWII then yes!!! - #gaslogic at its finest   

Either side of the war we had higher attendances

1939: City 10,430 Gas 7,999

1947: City 18,849 Gas 12,527

Their longest non-gaslogic consecutive run of getting higher attendances than us was three years

The longest consecutive run of higher attendances by either club is the run we are now 34 years and counting

Edited by cityal

1 minute ago, cityal said:

:laugh: if they count WWII then yes!!! - #gaslogic at its finest   

Either side of the war we had higher attendances

1939: City 10,430 Gas 7,999

1947: City 18,849 Gas 12,527

Their longest non-gaslogic consecutive run of getting higher attendances than us was three years

The longest consecutive run of higher attendances by either club is the run we are now 34 years and counting

Facts.........they don’t deal in facts.

10 hours ago, cityal said:

I think it is high time to dispel this rubbish about "core support" with every gashead's nemesis - "facts" as opposed to #gaslogic

I took some time to analyse the historical attendance data often linked in this thread to see exactly how core support stacked up over the years between the two clubs. Needless to say if that website's data is even partially correct (and there is no reason to particularly doubt it) it confirms what we all knew already.

It is based on the percentage difference in average attendances between the two clubs.  A blue bar means the gas were better supported that year, a red bar City were better supported. The size of the bar indicates the percentage difference in attendance.

For each year there is data (back to 1921, but none through WWII) I worked out the difference in attendance as a percentage of the lower of the two attendances - essentially what this figure tells you is how much the lower attended club would have needed to increase their own attendance to match the better supported club that year.

As an example last year we averaged 19256 and the blue few averaged 9302 - the difference is 9954, and that equates to an extra 107% deluded half-wits they would have needed to find (and fit into their dump) to have matched us.

Some observations....

Since England won the world cup just over 50 years ago rovers have had a higher average attendance once! 

Only on 6 occasions would we have needed a greater than 10% increase on our attendance in a season to match them 

There are 71 occasions where rovers would have needed a greater than 10% increase to match us

On 21 occasions we have more than doubled their attendance (all figures >100% on the graph)

This a great post. Thanks @cityal. Please will you reproduce this post as a completely new thread then mods, please will you pin that thread so that when this subject is raised again, as it often is by the 15ers, we have the rebuttal information immediately to hand?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cityal said:

That might be a bit tricky to show on this graph - i'll have a think about how to improve it

The graph as presented could be a bit better - I may need to work out if I can get a higher res version somewhere.

I tried that and had problems with the fact that the number of teams in the top division changed and including div 3 north and south (though div 3 north was known as the 4th div :)  ). The graph still looked very red though.

Edited by wendyredredrobin

At a Christmas social last night attended by a few who claim to have insider knowledge of Bristol football, I heard two rumours which even if only slightly true would make VERY worrying reading to the blue few;

1 , They don't own the Colony training ground site, it's on lease and haven't paid the rent for 3 months, ground workers are about to be ordered off site.

2, They have had to take out a short term loan to pay the players.

:gasmask: 

Henbury Gas, we know you read this thread on a daily basis, what have you heard?

3 minutes ago, myol'man said:

At a Christmas social last night attended by a few who claim to have insider knowledge of Bristol football, I heard two rumours which even if only slightly true would make VERY worrying reading to the blue few;

1 , They don't own the Colony training ground site, it's on lease and haven't paid the rent for 3 months, ground workers are about to be ordered off site.

Henbury Gas, we know you read this thread on a daily basis, what have you heard?

Please dear god let it be true :pray:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, cityal said:

Some observations....

That, my good man, is a great piece of work! Needs to be made into a poster and sold in the club shop! I'd buy one.

1 hour ago, Cheesleysmate said:

IMG_3932.JPG

apt second name don't you think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, cityal said:

Mate this is superb work, I’ve been waiting for someone to do this. I was going to have a go myself but lack of technical skill and time got in the way.  If we can combine it with league position and away attendances then we should get some billboards printed up for Gloucester rd.  end of argument 

30 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Dwayne Colony own the training ground from what we were told. That they are not paying people is possible, but they do own it.

There was something wrong with the player wages, even some of the Rovers fans mentioned it, but they got shot down for the "rumour" as apparently if you don't know 100% of the facts then it makes everything you say a lie and your Ted scum trying to rock the boat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheesleysmate said:

IMG_3932.JPG

9 minutes ago, pillred said:

apt second name don't you think.

Edited by MORE TINPOT BULL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, semblar said:

So they could technically claim that there were 6 consecutive years where we didn't have larger attendances than them? Darn it, der Gas are just the hugest club and we have no hope of bettering them.....

I can’t see where they had larger attendances than us for 6 consecutive years on that graph?! Leave the exaggerating to that lot!

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I can’t see where they had larger attendances than us for 6 consecutive years on that graph?! Leave the exaggerating to that lot!

They didn't have larger attendances though - both  were zero  for six years due to WW2 (so omitted in the graph). My apologies for not applying the seemingly obligatory #Gaslogic at the end of the comment :ph34r: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedRaw said:

Looks even better in this format.....

Attendances_jpg_3d10553671a24d0fd8b13b5306c6dc73.jpg

:yes: Indeed it does - I will try and improve the graphics and repost over the weekend when I have some time 

I am thinking now of some other infographics and charts I could make once in a while - what i would need though is factual data sources to generate them. I guess there are a few books and stuff with some of this data - however I am hesitant to type something like "Bristol Rovers official History" into a browser for fear of getting profiled as a gashead by Google, Amazon etc and linked with titles like "Boob Cricket: Rules and Regualtions", "The Dummies guide to being a racist"  and "Horse punching for beginners" 

On a serious note if anyone knows of any reliable away attendance datasets I could look at debunking the whole "travelling away in massive numbers, its what we do"  bullshit

• Like 2
  • Haha 4