IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Teenagers today won't know that feeling of walking into school after dicking them 4-2 at Twerton at the weekend. The most enjoyable of Monday mornings. 

I reckon Monday 24th October 1977 must've been an enjoyable morning to walk into school or work. For us lot (even if we lost at home to Arsenal that weekend).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bristolmoose said:

image.png.39d0265b1b338091cee62f5519b6d3c3.png

No bloody wonder with that badge as their inspiration.

The thigh-slappin' badge, the novelty kit, the theatrical nickname, the comedy antics, it all makes me want to shout: "it's behind you!"

They are a bit pantomime.

"Oh no we're not"  no doubt they would retort.

And what would we say to that children/Otib?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I have no idea, of course, but I can only think you must be under about 30 years of age...? 

It's very easy to mistake Rovers for the shambolic, embarrassing, joke of a club that we see today and think they are just a little figment of fun, there to keep us amused as an aside to whatever we are doing.... 

Those that remember them as a rival however, will/should never forget what a vile, rancid, cesspit of scum actually lurks over there. 

The absolute definition of "little man syndrome" who'd rather drink each others piss than help us if we were burning infront of them.

Untterly vile club, whose supporters turn into mouth foaming, neanderthals at the very thought of any game that might possibly attract more than 8/9000 fans to it and their hatred of us goes beyond anything you might see in many other places. 

It's the 1 reason I'd actually entertain another Bristol Derby, so that those young enough to only think of Rovers as a jovial laughing stock, get to actually see the grotesque underbelly of what they've only ever seen from a distance. 

For many, who remember them from 20+ years ago, their troubles are a delight to behold and they couldn't happen to a more fu###d up bunch of spawn. 

Their kit, their dirge of a song, their inferiority complex, their inbred, bitter, deluded interpretation of who/what they are, makes every moment they struggle, a real pleasure..! 

Absolutely spot on mate .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

The thigh-slappin' badge, the novelty kit, the theatrical nickname, the comedy antics, it all makes me want to shout: "it's behind you!"

They are a bit pantomime.

"Oh no we're not"  no doubt they would retort.

And what would we say to that children/Otib?

I always think of Larry Grayson when I see their high camp, ludicrous motif.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I have no idea, of course, but I can only think you must be under about 30 years of age...? 

It's very easy to mistake Rovers for the shambolic, embarrassing, joke of a club that we see today and think they are just a little figment of fun, there to keep us amused as an aside to whatever we are doing.... 

Those that remember them as a rival however, will/should never forget what a vile, rancid, cesspit of scum actually lurks over there. 

The absolute definition of "little man syndrome" who'd rather drink each others piss than help us if we were burning infront of them.

Untterly vile club, whose supporters turn into mouth foaming, neanderthals at the very thought of any game that might possibly attract more than 8/9000 fans to it and their hatred of us goes beyond anything you might see in many other places. 

It's the 1 reason I'd actually entertain another Bristol Derby, so that those young enough to only think of Rovers as a jovial laughing stock, get to actually see the grotesque underbelly of what they've only ever seen from a distance. 

For many, who remember them from 20+ years ago, their troubles are a delight to behold and they couldn't happen to a more fu###d up bunch of spawn. 

Their kit, their dirge of a song, their inferiority complex, their inbred, bitter, deluded interpretation of who/what they are, makes every moment they struggle, a real pleasure..! 

One of the reasons I cringe when some ******* roaster shows up on here saying “ermagerd y is there a thread about the gas do u think stoke have one about vale?”

Anyone who remembers the Gas when we used to play them every season will remember how grotesque their fans are. They’re bad enough now when their funny little club is a complete basket case. I can’t even image what they would be like if we got relegated from the Football League by a club wearing our kit ?

I intend to fully enjoy this situation until they do something to change it.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, HoldenBall said:

This will never happen but the fact they're even shitting themselves of this happening is beautiful.

Mind the chasm

Agree it won’t happen but the current odds for that scenario with Bet365 is 14/1.

By contrast the current odds of Rovers getting promoted and us getting relegated is 8180/1.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Gazred said:

I was in secondary school between 87-92, it was bloody awful! Things improved after of course and we've long since sat apart from them but I will never ever forget those days.

FTG.

It was the worst of times. It was the worst of times. It was .... (hang on, while I google) ...  the age of foolishness .... the epoch of incredulity ...... it was ... season (s) of Darkness .... winter(s) of despair .... etc, etc.

For yer @Davefevs and yer other data sorts, it was ten games without a win*, and more than four years, from Gary Smart's somewhat freakish and speculative hoik from 25 yards in Jan '87 to Louie Donowa finally shutting them up in March '91.  

It was  our worst run in Bristol derbies. It was the worst time to be a City fan, in terms of local rivalry and statistics. Some of us were heroically there for every one of those ten games without a win, as well as being "there" in 1982, and we therefore reserve the right to moan about everything and anything to do with City we feel the need to. Because we were there.

From '64 to '81 we went eleven consecutive derby games without losing (League and FA cup games). We also had a ten game run of not losing to them in the 30s. We weren't all there for that.

I think Joe Jordan managed us for six of that ten game run-of-shame and he never got the better of Gerry Francis but what he did do was, in his second full season as a manager, get us promoted. And Rovers had to share the headlines and the euphoria and the acclaim, because we went up at the same time as them. Then Joe's team beat them six months after he left.

Although Joe had the money to spend that Francis didn't have, GF had more experience as a manager, and had failed at Exeter (always a useful experience to those able to learn from it). They had the edge in coaching at that time.

It was a difficult time to be a City fan, failing to get out of the Third Division and having 5000 of them crowing like they had never crowed before (or since). It seemed to be neverending. But it didn't last. Looking back, it was only four and a bit years, about the same amount of time LJ was our head coach (not that I'm comparing the two eras).

* (We won a Glos cup during this run, I do believe).

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

4 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

One of the reasons I cringe when some ******* roaster shows up on here saying “ermagerd y is there a thread about the gas do u think stoke have one about vale?”

I don't like it, but I'll have to go along with it  !                                                      :laughcont:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I couldn’t have put it better myself!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Googling is beyond the capabilities of most 15ers, but if it was they'd know this is but one of many, many threads on the Oatcake.

https://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/296494/vale-out-blocks-steaming-turd

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Googling is beyond the capabilities of most 15ers, but if it was they'd know this is but one of many, many threads on the Oatcake.

https://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/296494/vale-out-blocks-steaming-turd

This looks familiar on page seven of that thread..... 

image.thumb.png.f028234450e3073bfd52a3c69516aca3.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

They all seem to think the January window will save them.

1. Do they seriously think Wally will spend more money?

2. In the unlikely event he does, what players with any sense of pride will want to sign for that shower?

We don't have any showers up at Portaloo Park.

Our players train on the bowling greens there and then retreat to a secret location to get changed and talk tictacs. 

• Haha 3