IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

15 hours ago, Nicki's soulmate said:

In the early to mid seventies, all their top boys (BD etc) were in there after the 74 Gloucester Cup, their big night against us, not done a lot since. 

I suppose it's location was good for seeing if anyone was approaching.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Anyone else get the feeling that Wally has only funded the club for the last year because he was hoping to ride off in to the distance with his pockets full of cash, a vice president role and the club under new ownership?

Yes and hailed a hero by the blue hordes.

On 17/03/2021 at 10:07, TomF said:

Was reading all the newspaper clips on that website about the rent dispute with the stadium owners.. one article suggested they could have bought it back if the supporters club had chipped in with their reserve, another one where City would share (i.e. stump up the cash) and another where they'd get a new state of the art stadium build by the stadium owners but they'd not pay the £52k rent a year they paid currently. Oh no, they'd want to pay less. 

They've never changed. 

They've always wanted/expected something for nothing

20 hours ago, cityal said:

The words that stand out for me here are  "DELAY" "SENSIBLE" "STATEMENT"

How very apt!!  - They have been delaying sensible statements on building a stadium since 1965. 

When talking of a stadium everyone involved at that hopelessly needy club seems to prefer to spout crap - actually even in this report the directors couldn't help themselves from resorting to ridiculous hyperbole - "They have bold ideas for developing the stadium as the biggest sports centre in the south west", "I feel sure we could get the backing of some top business people in the area - this thing could mushroom straight away"

The common thread in all of their stadium plans for the last 55 years seems to be that "someone else pays" - the reason that "someone else pays" is because they are broke, the reason they are broke is mainly because their fans cant be arsed to turn up. They are far from the most loyal, special fans in the country/world/universe unless you count the level of North Korean like fanta - sy

Still the fruit market is nearly ready right? Since its opening in late 2021 they must be doing final fit and finish stuff? Anyone got pictures or drone Footage like the Brentford fans had?

To the tune of "19" by Paul Hardcastle........

"In 1965, Eastville seemed like just another football ground, but it wasn't, it was different in many ways and so were those who did the squatting"

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Chas and Dave could write a song about it.

It's lucky for the Gas when the year ends in one.......................

'Rovers are on their way to League 2

The G*s are going to do it again,

We can't stop them,

Joey can't stop them,

The scum from Filton Avenue....'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

New stadium noise...in 1965! This explains so much about them. No wonder their fans are all doo-lally. I think I would be following a club that had let me down so much. So glad I grew up on the red side of town. I think if I was on the blue side, I'd have crossed the damn river by now and said 'goodnight Irene' for the last time. Nineteen-sixty-bloody-five. England has actually won the World Cup since then!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, OneCity said:

New stadium noise...in 1965! This explains so much about them. No wonder their fans are all doo-lally. I think I would be following a club that had let me down so much. So glad I grew up on the red side of town. I think if I was on the blue side, I'd have crossed the damn river by now and said 'goodnight Irene' for the last time. Nineteen-sixty-bloody-five. England has actually won the World Cup since then!

You'd be hard pressed to find the blue side of the river now.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Fatknacker said:

Ditto, I used to get the No 19 bus which went direct from Straits Parade, Fishponds to The Gate...cost about 6d each way.

i used to get the 19 from dean lane up to the straits to visit a couple of my school mates who lived in Radley rd both were gasheads ,45p return back then .   Happy days

11 hours ago, Jim Davey said:

i used to get the 19 from dean lane up to the straits to visit a couple of my school mates who lived in Radley rd both were gasheads ,45p return back then .   Happy days

I used to get the 19 and before that it was the 239 from Ashton Vale to Queen Square to get to school. At Queen square got another Double Decker up to Montpelier. Always had time for a 'fag'at Queen Square !!!!!

12 hours ago, Jim Davey said:

I used to make the same trip daily when I was out of work in the 80's. I took a car body repair Training Opportunites (TOPS) course in the area. The other two buses that were key in Bedminster were the 42, Hartcliffe to the City Centre and the 9 which went all the way to Hanham via the centre.

• Like 1

On 18/03/2021 at 14:39, Alan Dicks said:

True... I was born and raised in Fishponds, been City all my life along with quite a few other reds.

I’m a fishponds boy too, thankfully my dad is from Bishopsworth and had a season ticket, so I was saved from turning to the blue side... Did used to go to the speedway sometimes though. Don’t think there was any lasting damage!

• Like 1

On 18/03/2021 at 14:57, Fatknacker said:

Ditto, I used to get the No 19 bus which went direct from Straits Parade, Fishponds to The Gate...cost about 6d each way.

I lived in Saint Werburghs and the 19 was great, straight through to the Robins.
Used to be really worried when the Inspector got on as we regularly only paid for half way ?

• Like 1

On 18/03/2021 at 13:28, OneCity said:

It’s a good job you didn’t end up supporting the Rovers. You haven’t grasped that THESE THINGS TAKE TIME!

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I lived in Saint Werburghs and the 19 was great, straight through to the Robins.
Used to be really worried when the Inspector got on as we regularly only paid for half way ?

When ever a ‘Blakey’ got on,we’d all promptly get off?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

The common practice in those days was to say to the conductor “keep the ticket” which meant you gave him half the price and he kept it. This worked if they were in the know but some new ones didn’t understand the process. There was also panic, by the conductor, if an inspector got on, as he had to rush around giving out tickets 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

the 9 which went all the way to Hanham via the centre.

The number 9 never went through the Centre when I used it! It started at Hanham, went through St George (where I joined it)  before turning left at the bottom of Old Market towards Redcliffe, Bemmy and AG. The number 8 went from Warmley, through St George and Old Market then onto the Centre and beyond.

7 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

The number 9 never went through the Centre when I used it! It started at Hanham, went through St George (where I joined it)  before turning left at the bottom of Old Market towards Redcliffe, Bemmy and AG. The number 8 went from Warmley, through St George and Old Market then onto the Centre and beyond.

Ahhh now I understand your female attraction factor...... a detailed knowledge of Bristol bus routes :whistle:

44 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The common practice in those days was to say to the conductor “keep the ticket” which meant you gave him half the price and he kept it. This worked if they were in the know but some new ones didn’t understand the process. There was also panic, by the conductor, if an inspector got on, as he had to rush around giving out tickets 

the man on the suspension bridge used to like the "keep the ticket" one

• Like 1

For some reason this thread has turned in to bus route of yesteryear rather than Fewer baiting.

Anyway, Rovers are gash.

Also, does anyone remeber the Number 4 City Dart (or, shitty-fart if you prefer) that went absolutely everywhere, Frenchay, Hanham and a selection of hamlets, villages and backwaters?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

On to Southmead.

• Like 1