IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

42 minutes ago, Blackbird1 said:

Unabated, unchallenged , thought processes, yep that is what it is, would have hoped we have moved on from the seventies, Trumpton, Hollowhead, Mem,  et. all, God sake move on, we have a fine club, don't waste energy on that lot, seems like we actually are in awe of them.

In awe of:

Their subscription to Babestation

A ground with more tents than Billy Smart's Circus

Getting relegated to Non League

Not only that but getting relegated to Non League by a side playing in your own away strip

Appointing a Manager who could well be leaving them in a few months at Her Majesty's Pleasure

Being able to purchase fake drinks and out of date food in the concourse

An anthem that glorifies a "relationship" with an underage girl

Losing the Manager who had them in their highest league placing for years to Mansfield

Watching football with around 6,000 fans in the ground

A team who play in a Tesco Carrier Bag strip

I could go on but it will infuriate you even more..............

Bollocks to it, a club who have been promised a ground since 1965, the latest only weeks away from completion I believe........

A record signing of around £365K now known in the Oxford Dictionary as a "Tilson" (probably)

Wetting myself over a billionaire owner and then finding out it's actually a billionaire "family"....................Unlucky Da Shit

Yep, they're ******* brilliant and I'm jealous as ****.

When reading the above just consider for one second that not everyone takes life seriously 24/7 (to the benefit of their mental health in modern speak) and likes to have a bit of fun which, for many football supporters, includes a wind-up or two at their rivals expense from time to time. It's not hurting anyone, it's not one-sided and it occurs in every area of the country where you have football clubs in very close proximity. For Tarquin the University Student that has decided to support City or Rovers just to have a football club to support whilst they are in Bristol they probably don't see a rivalry. For those of us growing up in places like Bedminster, Ashton, Bemmy Down, Hartcliffe, Withywood, Shirehampton, Lawrence Weston, Southmead, Lockleaze, Knowle West, Horfield, Bishopston, Easton, Fishponds, Kingswood and many other areas in Bristol and the surrounding areas there most definitely is and always has been a rivalry. If it's not for you just ignore the thread rather than trying to force your views on people, saying we have "no right" to enjoy a bit of rivalry and acting like you have some sort of superior intelligence and/or moral fibre. It's not doing you any favours tbh.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Flames 4

3 hours ago, Blackbird1 said:

They are a pox on Bristol, along with the Kill the Bill protesters, but our own form is pretty much diabolical too, losing at home 6 on the trot, Brum, Rotherham etc, IF we were in a postion to mock, fair enough, but we are not.

You are missing the point. Most fans visit the dustbin thread simply as a way of having a laugh and boy is there lots of material to choose from.

It's got nothing to do with obsession, far from it.

It is because they think they're a big club who take 40,000 to Wembley, that they're on a par with Norwich, have a rich owner, are moving into another new stadium next week & everybody likes them. The reality is polar opposite. Happiness for them is when we concede a goal or when we lose & absolutely nothing to do with anything positive they do themselves on the pitch such is the plight of their miserable existence.

They need to fast forward from where they are stuck in which is the 1970's and realise that football has moved on and once they start accepting the fact that they are a League 1 & 2 club at best and that Cheltenham, Forest Green  & Yeovil are their level then maybe you would start to see the dustbin thread start to wain.

In accepting their true level it would also be in their favour to foster relations with us so that our younger players can get valuable experience and they benefit from watching better players play for them rather than the nomadic journey men and young rejects they currently use.

They are no longer a rival, they are quite simply irrelevant. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is my favourite thread on here . I despise Bristol Rovers football club. Especially after growing up in and going to school in kingswood in the 80s. A good few playground battles. And over the years there have been many incidents from them that enforces my dislike for them. Because they are so shit and we haven’t played them for so long in the league doesn’t stop me from despising them. But they are also now a funny little club I love to laugh at too. And how they deliver . I’m pretty sure the feeling is mutual from them and if roles were reversed I would expect the same. Maybe it’s a age thing as our younger fan base haven’t experienced a Bristol derby in the league. But for me I will continue with my childish piss taking sometimes direct posts. Hope they go bust **** the gas. OTIB 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

There should come a time when some should stop obsessing over them, to keep banging on about them shows they get under your skin. They are not our rivals, they used to be but not anymore, his sort of tribal post code thing seems to prevent us moving forward.

I admit though to find it entertaining in their demise, but the other part of me thinks there a lot of other good Bristol folk who are completely down over this, and I could never laugh in their faces over that. 

2bf2smI.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blackbird1 said:

They are a pox on Bristol, along with the Kill the Bill protesters, but our own form is pretty much diabolical too, losing at home 6 on the trot, Brum, Rotherham etc, IF we were in a postion to mock, fair enough, but we are not.

At the end of the day it’s just banter and if you can’t take it you shouldn’t give it and city fans of a certain age took it for years. Some of it occasionally gets a little childish but that’s on both sides like the whole bottle of champagne for Colin Daniel and then Windass being invited to their social in return but on the whole it’s good natured banter on both sides that fills a void during the international break 

Edited by walnutroof
Autocorrect

1 hour ago, big dosser said:

well they been my rivals for 39 years and they always will be unless they go out of business. Nothing better than a Bristol derby to get the heart racing and the blood pumping.

Of course..but these fixtures just don't happen anymore, and if as many do, want them to fold, they never will. Suppose I can take the laid back view over them, because I moved from Bristol when I was 16, but never lost the passion for City, never will. 

The rivalry at school was massive, but my sister married a gas head, and to be honest I used to go to Eastville with him and his mates, but never wanting a gas win. But he used to come with me to the Gate too, and those Wembley finals too, he always, he said wanted a City win. 

Those days at Eastville, and AG were massive local derbies, and I am glad I have those memories, some fantastic players, Harold Jarman, Alfie Biggs, Big John, brilliant.

Anyway thanks for all the bites, best fun I have had for ages.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

At the end of the day it’s just banter and if you can’t take it you shouldn’t give it and city fans of a certain age took it for years. Some of it occasionally gets a little childish but that’s on both sides like the whole bottle of champagne for Colin Daniel and then Windass being invited to their social in return but on the whole it’s good natured banter on both sides that fills a void during the international break 

If only...

There is just too much history between some of us on here and Rovers fans, which is why some on here just don’t get it.
I ain’t gonna bother listing the incidents as most will know what I am on about on here. Fact is they hate us and we (most of us) hate them more. 
They can **** off to Div 2 and stay there as far as I am concerned. That is where those stinking Horfield whores belong.
End off .....

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

59 minutes ago, Blackbird1 said:

I know lockdown has curtailed most of our regular activities, but oh what a humdrum life you must lead if that's the best fun you've had in "ages",

I'm not seeing bites, I'm seeing a lot of people convincingly arguing with you why the schadenfreude against Rovers is all part and parcel of being City fans. 

Your point that "Rovers aren't our rivals any more" doesn't stand up. Just because they are in a different division than us, hatred for them doesn't wax and wane with their league position. When we were sweeping all before us in League One and they were losing to Bath in the FA Trophy and Braintree in the non-league we were as far apart as we've ever been and the "non-league" thread was absolute gold.

They'll always be our #1 enemy, and although t's unlikely things can change extremely quickly in terms of rival clubs' fortunes - I know it's going back a long way but in 1986 Oxford won the league cup while Swindon were in the Fourth Division. A few short years later Swindon overtook them. You never know what could happen unfortunately.

They've done a lot to justify our hatred for them too, from their 1982 escapades to trying to paint our fanbase as all hooligan devils incarnate, while they are complete saints. Just two examples off the top of my head. Just because they are crap at football doesn't mean they aren't objectionable.

When a Gashead accuses me of being obsessed with them, I am happy to own it. My response is along the lies of "Yep, guilty, I hate your putrid club." Doesn't mean I necessarily hate all individual Gasheads. A few of them I know, like and admire.

I suspect most City fans would disgaree with you. As Peter said, if you don't want to read anti-Gash stuff then avoid this thread. The whole point of it coming into being was so it could be concentrated into one place and not spread all over the forum. If your game is you think you are winding people up then crack on my friend but people replying to you does not = a successful fishing trip.

Edited by WessexPest
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

When talking to Gas mates (yep, I do have some) best way I've found for taking the piss is to tell them that Cardiff are our rivals now - tell them that they no longer matter. Occasionally ask them how they're doing, or who their manager is these days, pretending I don't know. Really frustrates them. Then drop in something along the lines of "when's your next derby match against Cheltenham?" and they really start frothing with anger - how could a Ted not know or cares about them anymore??! Bless 'em!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

There is just too much history between some of us on here and Rovers fans, which is why some on here just don’t get it.
I ain’t gonna bother listing the incidents as most will know what I am on about on here. Fact is they hate us and we (most of us) hate them more. 
They can **** off to Div 2 and stay there as far as I am concerned. That is where those stinking Horfield whores belong.
End off .....

well said that man

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackbird1 said:

Of course..but these fixtures just don't happen anymore, and if as many do, want them to fold, they never will. Suppose I can take the laid back view over them, because I moved from Bristol when I was 16, but never lost the passion for City, never will. 

The rivalry at school was massive, but my sister married a gas head, and to be honest I used to go to Eastville with him and his mates, but never wanting a gas win. But he used to come with me to the Gate too, and those Wembley finals too, he always, he said wanted a City win. 

Those days at Eastville, and AG were massive local derbies, and I am glad I have those memories, some fantastic players, Harold Jarman, Alfie Biggs, Big John, brilliant.

If you've been away from Bristol since the age of 16, and saw the players you mention, you've obviously been away a long time, and haven't had to live and work with them. That almost certainly expalins your ambivalence.

I humbly suggest you retire from the thread and leave it to those of us who have to deal with the mutants on a daily basis.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

25 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

I know lockdown has curtailed most of our regular activities, but oh what a humdrum life you must lead if that's the best fun you've had in "ages",

I'm not seeing bites, I'm seeing a lot of people convincingly arguing with you why the schadenfreude against Rovers is all part and parcel of being City fans. 

Your point that "Rovers aren't our rivals any more" doesn't stand up. Just because they are in a different division than us, hatred for them doesn't wax and wane with their league position. When we were sweeping all before us in League One and they were losing to Bath in the FA Trophy and Braintree in the non-league we were as far apart as we've ever been and the "non-league" thread was absolute gold.

They'll always be our #1 enemy, and although t's unlikely things can change extremely quickly in terms of rival clubs' fortunes - I know it's going back a long way but in 1986 Oxford won the league cup while Swindon were in the Fourth Division. A few short years later Swindon overtook them. You never know what could happen unfortunately.

They've done a lot to justify our hatred for them too, from their 1982 escapades to trying to paint our fanbase as all hooligan devils incarnate, while they are complete saints. Just two examples off the top of my head. Just because they are crap at football doesn't mean they aren't objectionable.

When a Gashead accuses me of being obsessed with them, I am happy to own it. My response is along the lies of "Yep, guilty, I hate your putrid club." Doesn't mean I necessarily hate all individual Gasheads. A few of them I know, like and admire.

I suspect most City fans would disgaree with you. As Peter said, if you don't want to read anti-Gash stuff then avoid this thread. The whole point of it coming into being was so it could be concentrated into one place and not spread all over the forum. If your game is you think you are winding people up then crack on my friend but people replying to you does not = a successful fishing trip.

Sad..

A point often overlooked is age. I would say older city fans have more genuine hate/dislike for Rovers as they remember actually seeing games vs City. Its very hard for a young fan to have that hate, as we havent played for so long. My son is 15 - he takes the piss out of the Gas because of the Mem and all the tin-pottery, but doesnt hate them because the rivalry isnt really there. He doesnt even see kids wearing the Tesco top anymore - its all city.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Obviously closet gas. If you were old enough & remember how they (sorry you) conducted themselves (yourselves)  in 82 then you’d understand . 

The cr*p we went through in 1982, my school days putting up with a majority of gas 'friends'. Girlfriends who supported the Gas. Family who never went to watch the Gas but revelled in them beating us (w*nkers). 

This is all for them ?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LilRascal said:

Then drop in something along the lines of "when's your next derby match against Cheltenham?" a

Next season Cheltenham (& FGR) could both be in a higher division than Rovers; think of their embarrassment.

• Like 1

Some of you may read this nervous thatJohnson  is coming back to the club where even his bad runs are less embarrassing the run DH/NP have now overseen of 6 home defeats on the bounce?

No, he is coming with a tream he is quickly transforming and moulding into a winning side in a way no recent Sunderland manager has been able to do.

Unity for once, I hope on this forum that we really hope he gets a big win at the Memorial Tip. Like last night, i will have a glass for any away goal in an away win - and i rarely raise a toast to Swindle.

Anyone think Rovers will go as bottom team?

Anyone think they will swap places with the better (F.G) Rovers of the West Country?

Getting the thread back on track.  We are fast approaching the 20th anniversary of the last Bristol league derby which was on the 3rd April 2001.  The 1-1 draw where Phillips saved the penalty in the last minute.  Who’d have thought as walked out of their hovel of a ground that there wouldn’t be another league derby for at least 20 years.

• Like 1

Blackbird1 I hate those tosses with a passion because they are annoying xxxxx.

Look at the kit,look at ground,look at their fans,hollow head,the fake sheik.

,tick tock they r coming for us,the trumpton yrs,their stupid ####kin song.

Give me a reason to like the gits cuz I know they don’t like us.

My oldest mate (best man) is dopey gas **** .I txt him regularly.At the moment hourly they are that amusing.

Im 50 I know I shouldn’t care but that’s football ,it gets in your bones.

ftg ,ctid.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

Oh you are all are in love with him, aren't you!

As a Bristolian who remembers some cracking local derbies with the Gas at home and away. I'm a City supporter but that doesn't mean I want them to sink into the Fourth Tier. 

I'd rather they were in the same league as us, giving us an extra incentive to remain as Bristol's best.

So for me, I'd like to see them stuff Sunderland and their manager this evening.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

As a Bristolian who remembers some cracking local derbies with the Gas at home and away. I'm a City supporter but that doesn't mean I want them to sink into the Fourth Tier. 

I'd rather they were in the same league as us, giving us an extra incentive to remain as Bristol's best.

So for me, I'd like to see them stuff Sunderland and their manager this evening.

I agree, I don't want them in the fourth tier either. I would love to see the famous blue and white quarters playing on the Downs!

Oh yeah!!!!

• Like 8
  • Haha 7

43 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

There is absolutely no chance of them stuffing Sunderland this evening, the game is on Saturday..

• Haha 3

So basically you are a Sag

Enjoy your bites fewer and enjoy the relegation party

• Like 3