IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

11 hours ago, Malago said:

Spot on! The South Stand should be renamed “The Terry Cooper Stand” with immediate effect - 

Why not The Alan Dicks Stand, or even The Harry Thicket Stand, who are the only two managers to get us promoted to the top flight.  In ADs case, I believe he is our longest serving manager.   Harry Thicket took us to a cup final and to a runners up spot in the top flight.  If you’re naming stands on merit, both men seem to be more deserving of recognition IMHO.

Whilst it's right to recognise the achievements of Harry and Alan, what Coops did went far, far, far beyond any success the club may have achieved.  He literally dragged this club up from the gutter in it's darkest days and gave the club back its heart and soul.

No other manager in my lifetime (43 yrs) has come close to the monumental achievement that Terry Cooper fought for in my opinion.  Football isn't all about winning matches.

• Like 10
  • Flames 3

3 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Well there is only stand up for grabs so you will just have to settle for who took City up with the most points, least defeats and who stayed up the longest. Thicket or Dicks? Terry will have to wait his turn.

The way Terry picked us up and turned us around in our darkest hour fully deserves the highest recognition. Thicket and Dicks achieved marvellous things for Bristol City but, in different ways, Terry Cooper’s contribution to our history is far more significant than the achievements of Thicket and Dicks - he’s first in line for a stand to be named after him in my opinion ...

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Swede said:

Reasonable question: Just how many seats & I mean "fixed" seats & not the white plastic garden furniture kind are there in the stands at cloud cuckoo land?

14 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Well, according to this, just shy of 8,000

http://stadiumdb.com/stadiums/eng/bristol_memorial_stadium

However, that probably doesn't take in to account a new tent and row M.

No way it's as high as 8,000, not with the amount of terracing that it has.

Adding up their stands seats on various sites, it comes to around 2,800. Football Manager (which is relatively reliable) has it as 2,700. I'd imagine 3,500 seats at an absolute maximum to be honest, less than our entire smallest stand. :laugh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The way Terry picked us up and turned us around in our darkest hour fully deserves the highest recognition. Thicket and Dicks achieved marvellous things for Bristol City but, in different ways, Terry Cooper’s contribution to our history is far more significant than the achievements of Thicket and Dicks - he’s first in line for a stand to be named after him in my opinion ...

Not sure "The Dicks Stand" sounds quite right anyway.

Edited by BigTone
  • Haha 2

When comparing our season with the Gas pathetic relegation. I remind my gas work colleagues that they got relegated to the basement with their best team. We on the other hand were unable to field our 1st team in any game this season. We had players brought back from loans and under 23's playing in a standard of football that the gas have never played in. Technically then , our researves.

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

Not sure "The Dicks Stand" sounds quite right anyway.

The Alan Dicks Stand sounds fine by me.

The other point is that one day AD will pass to that great Ashton Gate in the sky, hopefully not for a long time yet, when there will be an outpouring grief and calls for some form of permanent memorial, including calls for a stand to be named after him.  Why not recognise his efforts now, when he’s still alive and able to appreciate the affection the support has for him?

• Like 5
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

6 minutes ago, Malago said:

The Alan Dicks Stand sounds fine by me.

The other point is that one day AD will pass to that great Ashton Gate in the sky, hopefully not for a long time yet, when there will be an outpouring grief and calls for some form of permanent memorial, including calls for a stand to be named after him.  Why not recognise his efforts now, when he’s still alive and able to appreciate the affection the support has for him?

Agree entirely but you must let us schoolboys have our fun.

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nebristolred said:

No way it's as high as 8,000, not with the amount of terracing that it has.

Adding up their stands seats on various sites, it comes to around 2,800. Football Manager (which is relatively reliable) has it as 2,700. I'd imagine 3,500 seats at an absolute maximum to be honest, less than our entire smallest stand. :laugh:

Think their seating capacity is now 27.501 in their brand spanking new stadium ,opens in august i think .

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Course, if his 'lad' (chortle) performs, we could end up with two Bell Ends.

A double header if you please.

2 Bell Ends and a Dicks ..... what more would a club want ?

Actually what about Sir Cheesley?

We could end up with 2 Bell Ends and one Dicks with added Cheese

Edited by BigTone
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Obsessed. 

75E92D2D-DD29-49E5-87FF-2319CEA2DAEA.png

Bless them.

Idolising a player who clearly couldn’t wait to get away from them and their funny little tents as soon as he could.

Former players scoring against us is about as close as they get to getting one over on us these days.

Thank God I was born a red.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Bless them.

Idolising a player who clearly couldn’t wait to get away from them and their funny little tents as soon as he could.

Former players scoring against us is about as close as they get to getting one over on us these days.

Thank God I was born a red.

On our local radio, Darren Fergusson reckons a big club will come in for JCH this Summer. Just to rub it in to the gas, how about City snapping him up?

2 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

Just name it the "Sir Colin Daniel Stand" and be done with it....now back to Rovers bashing.....Jaily Barton's court case is 7th June.

That would be absolutely hilarious! If they've got upset with a mock coffin and some emulsion, just think how irate and pissed off they'll be with 'Sir Colin Daniel Stand'...?!??!? Even just May 3rd every year for one day......

• Haha 1

They've released their retained list and agent Little has finally departed it seems. But their top goalscorer, Luke Leahy, a left-back. Who Barton in an interview the other day said was committed to staying at the club and wanted to stick with it and who Barton made captain, has rejected a contract offer and now will leave. You couldn't write it!!

• Haha 8

21 minutes ago, Mattyisared said:

They've released their retained list and agent Little has finally departed it seems. But their top goalscorer, Luke Leahy, a left-back. Who Barton in an interview the other day said was committed to staying at the club and wanted to stick with it and who Barton made captain, has rejected a contract offer and now will leave. You couldn't write it!!

That’s because Luke Leahy whoever’s the **** that is . Realises what a shitty two bit club they are with a massive bellend in charge 

Edited by Red Army 75
  • Haha 1

Did anyone see a post by some sag maggot on their forum stating Eastville should have had a protection order on it where it had to be used for sporting purposes and not made available for retail.

Just like the one they rode roughshod over that applied to the Mem then?

They genuinely don't see the hypocrisy and general irony in this.

Wnakers!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Did anyone see a post by some sag maggot on their forum stating Eastville should have had a protection order on it where it had to be used for sporting purposes and not made available for retail.

Wnakers!

Yeah but that was different...

#Gaslogic

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Wnakers!

It's nice visiting Tesco and IKEA instead of that old shite.

Edited by Banjo Red
Spelling

12 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

it must be devastating for gas parents bringing up youngsters desperately trying to turn them red only to find the extra digits popping out like wisdom teeth as they grow up

Most gas heads visit the dentist to have wisdom teeth put in.

• Haha 6