IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

18 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Luke Leahy gave it his all.Not an accomplished defender but he and Mc Cormick really gave everything unlike most of the others.
Best of luck.Good little club with excellent training facilities and a stadium which suits their small crowds to perfection and has great catering and disabled facilities.
Shrews only club in the whole West Mercia area of;Shrops,Worcs and Herefordshire so potential is there.

Deliberate use of the words 'little' and 'small', to satisfy themselves that they are bigger than they actually are......

Haha for god's sake...

Literally everyone else would put the sags and Shrewsbury in a similar mould size-wise nowadays.

On 15/05/2021 at 13:11, Bristol Rob said:

Why on early would they try and make out this is an impressive number?

Continued potting of tin.

Pretty sure you get more people queuing outside Primark on a Saturday morning.

Re-ignite the gas?

Not another mysterious fire about to happen ?

19 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Luke Leahy gave it his all.Not an accomplished defender but he and Mc Cormick really gave everything unlike most of the others.
Best of luck.Good little club with excellent training facilities and a stadium which suits their small crowds to perfection and has great catering and disabled facilities.
Shrews only club in the whole West Mercia area of;Shrops,Worcs and Herefordshire so potential is there.

Deliberate use of the words 'little' and 'small', to satisfy themselves that they are bigger than they actually are......

The likelihood of anyone from Worcestershire or Herefordshire deciding to support Shrewsbury is as remote as the Gas ever reaching the top-flight.

People from the Worcestershire towns tend to support one of the much nearer, much more successful Black Country clubs, if the don't support their local non-league contenders.  Herefordshire folk have no affinity with the north Midlands whatsoever.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

The likelihood of anyone from Worcestershire or Herefordshire deciding to support Shrewsbury is as remote as the Gas ever reaching the top-flight.

People from the Worcestershire towns tend to support one of the much nearer, much more successful Black Country clubs, if the don't support their local non-league contenders.  Herefordshire folk have no affinity with the north Midlands whatsoever.

North Herefordshire and Shropshire obviously border each other and their rural towns, like Shrewsbury and Leominster have a lot more in common than they do with the industrial North or West Midlands, surely?

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

North Herefordshire and Shropshire obviously border each other and their rural towns, like Shrewsbury and Leominster have a lot more in common than they do with the industrial North or West Midlands, surely?

Different accent altogether. Hereford - country. Shrewsbury - northern.

There may be some interplay in the extreme north of Herefordshire, south of Shropshire, but I doubt many Hereford-born men consider supporting Shrewsbury on the basis that they share the same police force.  Hereford fans hate Shrewsbury with a vengeance.

The Shrews do have a sizeable contingent of fans from the Welsh border area though.  People for whom Wrexham is too far away. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

There may be some interplay in the extreme north of Herefordshire, south of Shropshire, but I doubt many Hereford-born men consider supporting Shrewsbury on the basis that they share the same police force.  Hereford fans hate Shrewsbury with a vengeance.

The Shrews do have a sizeable contingent of fans from the Welsh border area though.  People for whom Wrexham is too far away. 

Yes, I spent my early years in Welshpool and there’s a definite Severn Valley connection with Shrewsbury. So I tend to see a connection down that valley and the Marches as a bit of a region of its own from Hereford to Salop.

51 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

thats so true i have many friends who is Hereford and to be fair they are a well supported club home and away, but like bury shocking past owners.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

.... and I’m sure Hereford FC is located in Herefordshire? Surely they aren’t overlooking that club because it currently competes in National League North? Or division 6 as the sags would probably call it - only one level below the delightful level achieved by Darrell and the sags just a few short years ago! 

Just reading a review of a new book: "The Delusions of Crowds; Why People Go Mad in Groups." It broadly covers two common kind of (American) delusions, stock market bubbles and end-of-time religions (you know: the world will end next January. No, scrub that, the year after that).

The author writes of an American, William Miller, who gained notoriety for prophecy of the end of times. The review goes on: "For various reasons his calculations animated many religious fellow countrymen and women, and Miller would travel from place to place, holding vast outdoor meetings, and even buying a 'Great Tentthat could hold 4000 people, telling of the end to come."

He predicted the end for 1843, then 1844. And so on.

So, it's all there: the crowds, the estimates of crowds (uncorroborated), the travelling (away) from place to place, the madness and delusions, the promises and  predictions of great things to come that never come, the crashes and let-downs, the tents.

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Just reading a review of a new book: "The Delusions of Crowds; Why People Go Mad in Groups." It broadly covers two common kind of (American) delusions, stock market bubbles and end-of-time religions (you know: the world will end next January. No, scrub that, the year after that).

The author writes of an American, William Miller, who gained notoriety for prophecy of the end of times. The review goes on: "For various reasons his calculations animated many religious fellow countrymen and women, and Miller would travel from place to place, holding vast outdoor meetings, and even buying a 'Great Tentthat could hold 4000 people, telling of the end to come."

He predicted the end for 1843, then 1844. And so on.

So, it's all there: the crowds, the estimates of crowds (uncorroborated), the travelling (away) from place to place, the madness and delusions, the promises and  predictions of great things to come that never come, the crashes and let-downs, the tents.

It`s based on a book first published in 1841! I read it years ago and it is spooky (and a bit scary) how much more like the crowds in the book we have become in recent years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

This has just popped up in my LinkedIn feed.....glorious!

1620655893010.jpeg

Can't be right - they're at the bottom!!

Mind you our league table over the same period wouldn't be much better....

40 minutes ago, Taz said:

Can't be right - they're at the bottom!!

Mind you our league table over the same period wouldn't be much better....

Maybe not but we`re playing Forest, Boro, Fulham, Baggies and Blades next season whilst they are welcoming Crawley, Harrogate, Salford and Barrow to the tented village.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It`s based on a book first published in 1841! I read it years ago and it is spooky (and a bit scary) how much more like the crowds in the book we have become in recent years.

Hang on, a book in 1841 was talking about a guy who was predicting the end in 1844 and 1845?

13 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Hang on, a book in 1841 was talking about a guy who was predicting the end in 1844 and 1845?

The modern book was based on the one written in 1841 and explored what happened after the author highlighted it.

There`s a sign nailed to a tree in North Bowood in Dorset that reads;

`Interested in time travel? Meet here last Sunday`. Always makes me chuckle when I see it!

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

The modern book was based on the one written in 1841 and explored what happened after the author highlighted it.

There`s a sign nailed to a tree in North Bowood in Dorset that reads;

`Interested in time travel? Meet here last Sunday`. Always makes me chuckle when I see it!

I like the story of when Stephen Hawking threw a party complete with pyramids of champagne for time travelers, and didn't release any invites until after the party.
When no one turned up he concluded that it means time travel (to the past) would never be achieved. Or in his words "what a shame".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1