IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

7 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

In my defence dad took me to Neville Road and later to the county ground. Richards, Garner, Botham, Vic Marks etc, there was only going to be one. Proctor and Abbas were good but Viv Richards, come on.

I seem to remember Procky spanking Botham's  arse in a couple of single wicket compos ?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Ooh, that’s harsh ... traditional county borders show Bristol being very much part of Somerset - right up to Clifton and beyond - and I watched Somerset play vs Yorkshire on the Brislington/Knowle/Hengrove border back in the day - Boycott was playing that day for Yorkshire - and he swore at my sister, then 9 years old, when she asked for his autograph - he wasn’t nice.

Bristol = Somerset stronghold; Gloucestershire CCC? Please represent your heartland in Cheltenham, Gloucester and the Cotswolds - no need for you to be in Bristol - we aren’t in your county - although, I notice Gloucs CCC, rather like the gas, also swoop in on venues that are irrelevant to them - they’ve even played ‘home’ games in Wiltshire during their illustrious history - why can’t they just go back to Gloucestershire?! ??

Traditional county border is actually the River Avon, anything north is Glorious Gloucestershire, anything south Somerset Bottlers. Bristol itself was created a county in 1373 and included a small part of the area that would become Bedminster.When the Nevil Rd County Ground was opened it was in open countryside in Gloucestershire,a fact which seems to escape the nimby idiots who only recently moved in.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

Where does the county of Avon figure in its history?

It's an abhorrent moment that should be consigned to the docks, Colston style  i still get post with Avon on and sometimes it appears as an option when completing on line forms. The option to choose Bristol as a County doesn't.

Having said all that I now live in Portishead North Somerset, so I shouldn't really be concerned. :)

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

i still get post with Avon on and sometimes it appears as an option when completing on line forms.

I've always thought that was weird. Avon was abolished in the 90s, long before the internet was popular. It's bizarre that it still exists on so many online forms.

• Like 2

Was'nt  THATCHER responsible for the name change by bringing Somerset and Gloucestershire together? The Glorious Glosters paras  got renamed too, did'nt they?  The frustration of not being allowed to tick Bristol as my county on forms while having to tick the non existent Avon still grinds.  Let's get back to laughing at the gas..they don't care what county their ground is built in,providing someone else pays for it.

1 hour ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Traditional county border is actually the River Avon, anything north is Glorious Gloucestershire, anything south Somerset Bottlers. Bristol itself was created a county in 1373 and included a small part of the area that would become Bedminster.When the Nevil Rd County Ground was opened it was in open countryside in Gloucestershire,a fact which seems to escape the nimby idiots who only recently moved in.

Bedminster was in Somerset until 1832 when it became part of the city and county of Bristol. The Ashton area, which hadn't been built on in the 1830s, was still in Somerset until the 1890s and Bower Ashton was in Somerset until 1951.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TomF said:

Even sillier is the post office disregarded the need to county to be on addresses in the late 90s as well 

I haven't lived there for 20 years, but I still haven't forgiven the Post Office for changing Frampton Cotterell's postcode from BS17 to BS36. ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I seem to remember Procky spanking Botham's  arse in a couple of single wicket compos ?

He may well have done Slarti but I was 7 and they were big names so I was hooked!

I don't mind Glos in all honesty but couldn't support them against the Cidermen. It's not like City and the gas for me.

3 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

I haven't lived there for 20 years, but I still haven't forgiven the Post Office for changing Frampton Cotterell's postcode from BS17 to BS36. ?

think its to do with all the extra houses being built they had to do something.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Just checked the map. It appears the only professional cricket team within bristol boundaries is Gloucestershire.  The other lot is 50 miles away!

So they aren’t playing in Gloucestershire then? Fair enough ... so they are squatting; a trait which can be attributed to the other lot to which this thread is dedicated ...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Rob said:

Re https://www.gloscricket.co.uk/gccc-history/

To sum up, Mangotsfield+Coalpit Heath -> West Gloucestershire CC -> Gloucestershire CC.  Been at Neville Road since 1889.  I think that means that they can consider themselves Bristol's cricket team!

They have it on us by 5 years.

In 1884 Henry Mills Grace launched a proposal to lease some land in Eastville for a County Ground. The land is now home to Ikea and Tesco stores and previously Bristol Rovers FC. These plans were dropped in 1887.

Imagine if that had happened....

6 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Nice parting shot from the player Joey Barton publicly criticised. That will get the fewers in a frenzy. I like Max Ehmer he knows 

He was a marquee signing at the time. Just turns out that they had enough of those already and had nowhere to pitch him ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

Nice parting shot from the player Joey Barton publicly criticised. That will get the fewers in a frenzy. I like Max Ehmer he knows 

I'm sure it must be easy playing on a turnip patch surrounded by an assortment of tents, plastic chairs and a garden shed once you've flicked off all of the dog sausages with a stick.

Nice bit of tarmac though [worth YET another mention]

• Haha 3