IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

Talking with one of their supporters the other day, who said that people in the know have heard that a deal has been done for the fruit market, by either Wael, or his company. Backed up by the fact that he now has a personal wealth of some £400m. When we delved a little further into his personal wealth, we found that the information on his wealth referred to 2016 and was the family wealth, not Waels.

If I'm not mistaken, this wealth was diminished with a drop in share value of the Bank or Hotel business. Even so, with the passing of his father giving his bank account a boost, you'd expect a figure possibly around 25% of that family wealth, so upwards of £100m. A tidy sum but, is it enough to purchase the Fruit Market and adjoining land and build a stadium? Just saw that Everton's new stadium is expected to cost £500m. What could Wael expect to get if he decided to spunk all his fortune into this venture. If he did, at least it would prove how insane he actually is.

My one fear is that Marvin and his right hand man are doing a covert deal with the city's land, just to give those cretins a more even platform to compete.

Your fear is unfounded Rich.

The development at the Fruit Market site will not include a football stadium.

And Mr Al-Quidi’s personal wealth is less than a quarter of what you imagine it to be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 01/07/2021 at 15:41, Eddie Hitler said:

I expect that Rovers pays peanuts to their admin staff as, so it happens, does City.

I know this because maybe ten years ago a couple of senior financial jobs came up at City, my dream job, but when I saw the salaries I wasn't prepared to take that big a pay cut. The salary offered was verging on being rude it was so low.

Football clubs seem to all operate like this: stupid money for the inner circle like Ashton and poverty wages for their professional office staff.

And if you pay peanuts...

I agree. The club seems to operate on the fact that the employees could be fans and therefore are delighted to work for them, dream job as you say. 

• Like 1

The Fruit Market site is a weird one.

On one hand, very handy for rail travel, but...

An absolute nightmare for road access, maybe not so much for weekend games, but between about half five and seven pm, the roads around there are gridlocked, which, if both of the Fewers decide to drive then it will be even worse.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

The Fruit Market site is a weird one.

On one hand, very handy for rail travel, but...

An absolute nightmare for road access, maybe not so much for weekend games, but between about half five and seven pm, the roads around there are gridlocked, which, if both of the Fewers decide to drive then it will be even worse.

To be fair..that shouldn't be much of a problem as I think only one of them drives ?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, weepywall said:

To be fair..that shouldn't be much of a problem as I think only one of them drives ?

Only if/when his mum isn't using the car though, and she works late into the night.. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

The Zamora mention ?

That was a weird one.

I'm probably wrong, but wasn't it a case that Zamora thought he was quite good, Holloway didn't agree, so he went on loan and was successful and then then got a pittance for him that almost looked like a respectable fee with add-ons.

Which is a shrewd move if your club is being successful, but if you're crap...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bert tann said:

Your fear is unfounded Rich.

The development at the Fruit Market site will not include a football stadium.

And Mr Al-Quidi’s personal wealth is less than a quarter of what you imagine it to be.

To be quite honest Bert, I would have expected bigger fish to have been involved in this prime land. I just want to keep it out there so the council do the right thing and not some shady deal.

When the new stadium was being planned at AV, there were deals done for some council owned land at pre planning/development prices, namely the car park at AG and the allotments. The club already had a 99 year lease on the car park, which was going to remain as a car park, so the real benefit was the allotments. But for that deal, Bristol would have got a stadium capable of holding large events Like the WC, Euro matches and the whole region would benefit. With this muted deal, it would appear there is one privately owned beneficiary.

The wealth reference was over estimated, I would have put it much lower myself. It was more to do with not having a row over his wealth.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

Surely this is old news? Or isn't their new stadium opening in August after all?

This was reputedly new old news.

Evidently August has been pushed back a little due to Covid.

3 hours ago, TomF said:

I think after Covid any chance of the council supporting it are gone. They’re skinter than Wael 

They do still own the adjacent land.

12 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

She has a mattress strapped to her back in case she meets someone she knows. 

That must be really painful when doing Reverse Cowgirl being smashed in the face by a mattress :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My gas insider tells me that Tommy Wimblington, who knows Jack sh!te about professional football but tried running the first team before Barton had him booted into the long grass, stands to make a hefty wedge on various ongoing gas transfer deals.

No change there then, Gerry Francis was doing that 30 years ago 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, myol'man said:

My gas insider tells me that Tommy Wimblington, who knows Jack sh!te about professional football but tried running the first team before Barton had him booted into the long grass, stands to make a hefty wedge on various ongoing gas transfer deals.

No change there then, Gerry Francis was doing that 30 years ago 

The only problem is........GF had some half decent players to sell, what have they got now?

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

23 hours ago, TomF said:

I expect Marv will let YTL have it in exchange for some funding on his underground unicorn 

We don't need an underground, we already have a wonderful trainline system serving large parts of Bristol and, going underused. Bringing back into use the concreted over line at Cumberland basin and extending it a quarter of a mile overland to TM would provide a fantastic amenity to the City of Bristol.

Just now, TomF said:

Not arguing that, however wouldn't say our lines are underused, maybe underfunded. The severn beach line was very busy yesterday, on a sunday with mask wearing etc compulsory. The trouble with the old docks line is beyond M Shed to the St Mary Redcliffe tunnel and then the other side of it. Poor oversight to build over what was a great line for future use. 

I'm referring to underused lines like the Henbury Loop and the Portishead line. All brought into operation would provide a circular figure of eight cover vast areas, as well as central stations. Link them from Ashton through to TM via the waterfront and Redcliffe Way and it's minimal cost for a small section of overland rail (tram like) making a complete circuit. 

I was thinking back to 1982, we go out of business, they take over Ashton Gate, would our supporters started supporting them? what would’ve become of our ground, would they of made the improvements we have? what league would they be in? 

anyway who cares, screw rag ass Roverz