IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

7 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

I was thinking back to 1982, we go out of business, they take over Ashton Gate, would our supporters started supporting them? what would’ve become of our ground, would they of made the improvements we have? what league would they be in? 

anyway who cares, screw rag ass Roverz

Assuming no City phoenix club was formed?

I think City fans of the time would have refused to support Rovers, but we're almost 40 years on now. Kids and people in their 20s/30s/40s would never have known anything but one club in Bristol and wouldn't feel any loyalty towards City. 

God knows what would have happened to Rovers though. They'd have had most of Bristol behind them, Lansdown would have still wanted to stick his mark on Bristol. 

It's horrible to say, but without City, Rovers would have done extremely well. 

• Hmmm 1

18 hours ago, myol'man said:

My gas insider tells me that Tommy Wimblington, who knows Jack sh!te about professional football but tried running the first team before Barton had him booted into the long grass, stands to make a hefty wedge on various ongoing gas transfer deals.

No change there then, Gerry Francis was doing that 30 years ago 

bit harsh Tommy Widdrington - Wikipedia

1 hour ago, BS2 Red said:

Assuming no City phoenix club was formed?

I think City fans of the time would have refused to support Rovers, but we're almost 40 years on now. Kids and people in their 20s/30s/40s would never have known anything but one club in Bristol and wouldn't feel any loyalty towards City. 

God knows what would have happened to Rovers though. They'd have had most of Bristol behind them, Lansdown would have still wanted to stick his mark on Bristol. 

But, it didn't and they haven't !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TomF said:

Not arguing that, however wouldn't say our lines are underused, maybe underfunded. The severn beach line was very busy yesterday, on a sunday with mask wearing etc compulsory. The trouble with the old docks line is beyond M Shed to the St Mary Redcliffe tunnel and then the other side of it. Poor oversight to build over what was a great line for future use. 

Hasn't your Mayor worked out that a city centre built on water wouldn't work with an underground despite the fact that everyone already knew that? He's talking about a tram system now which is much more likely, much cheaper and can utilise all the unused former railway lines all over the city. Pretty much what most people have wanted for the last 30 years.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TomF said:

Oh the underground is total poppycock, doesn't mean he won't waste more money on it!  I'd welcome the tram system especially if it replaced the god awful metrobus too

Every other major city has a working tram system Tom. The one in Manchester uses all the old unused local train lines, is superb, goes to all the towns in the urban spread and it's dirt cheap to use. You don't need to be a rocket science to work out what we need do you?

The underground was a total pipe dream vote catcher, was never going to happen. When he announced it, he reminded me of the 'monorail' bloke on the Simpsons.

Far too expensive and we aren't big enough to need or warrant an underground. 

Get the tram thing going and we might finally have a working transport infrastructure.

As for the Metrobus, it doesn't come anywhere near Barrs so we have to use the car anyway. Another overpriced vanity project. I've heard nobody say anything positive about it.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

...well, we don’t know that. I’m sure those ******* clowns would’ve found some way to blow their golden opportunity.

What we do know is that before they turned up like a bad case of piles, we had been runners up in the Football League and FA Cup finalists.

This town ain’t big enough for the both of us....and it isn’t City who should have to leave.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

...well, we don’t know that. I’m sure those ******* clowns would’ve found some way to blow their golden opportunity.

What we do know is that before they turned up like a bad case of piles, we had been runners up in the Football League and FA Cup finalists.

This town ain’t big enough for the both of us....and it isn’t City who should have to leave.

Of course, again I was imagining a worst case scenario.

But with no Bristol City, they would have had zero competition in the city. Old timers wouldn't have supported them, but kids of the time and people born after 1982 wouldn't have had the same revulsion that we feel now.

Lansdown wanted to invest in sport in Bristol, they would be the only real choice.

So they'd be at Ashton Gate in 1982, would have similar supporter numbers to us and probably have Lansdown bankrolling them. They'd likely have done extremely well without us.

I don't think it works the other way. If Rovers disappeared in the early 80s, then I don't think it would have made much difference to City. A few extra fans, but hardly huge numbers. The rugby club would be complete different though!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

Of course, again I was imagining a worst case scenario.

But with no Bristol City, they would have had zero competition in the city. Old timers wouldn't have supported them, but kids of the time and people born after 1982 wouldn't have had the same revulsion that we feel now.

Lansdown wanted to invest in sport in Bristol, they would be the only real choice.

So they'd be at Ashton Gate in 1982, would have similar supporter numbers to us and probably have Lansdown bankrolling them. They'd likely have done extremely well without us.

I don't think it works the other way. If Rovers disappeared in the early 80s, then I don't think it would have made much difference to City. A few extra fans, but hardly huge numbers. The rugby club would be complete different though!

But let's not forget he already tried to invest in them and they turned him down, leading him to come to us instead...just like Harry Dolman...(they really don't learn!)  There's no reason for us to believe that they would have decided any differently had we ceased to exist.

Of course, had he had the same appetite for sport in the area, and there's nothing to say he would have, then he may well have bought them when Higgs sold up.  As far as I'm aware though it was owning City and seeing what other successful clubs did that gave him that thirst for improving sport in and around Bristol.  Woulda, coulda, shoulda....It's all eggs, bacon, beans and a fried slice in the end....But don't quote me on that. :)

12 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

But let's not forget he already tried to invest in them and they turned him down, leading him to come to us instead...just like Harry Dolman...(they really don't learn!)  There's no reason for us to believe that they would have decided any differently had we ceased to exist.

Of course, had he had the same appetite for sport in the area, and there's nothing to say he would have, then he may well have bought them when Higgs sold up.  As far as I'm aware though it was owning City and seeing what other successful clubs did that gave him that thirst for improving sport in and around Bristol.  Woulda, coulda, shoulda....It's all eggs, bacon, beans and a fried slice in the end....But don't quote me on that. :)

So basically Marty would have vanished, Doc wouldn't have had a bulletproof vest and Rovers would be just as shit?

• Haha 3

On 04/07/2021 at 16:13, myol'man said:

My gas insider tells me that Tommy Wimblington, who knows Jack sh!te about professional football but tried running the first team before Barton had him booted into the long grass, stands to make a hefty wedge on various ongoing gas transfer deals.

No change there then, Gerry Francis was doing that 30 years ago 

Not just Francis. The directors loaned the club the £225k to buy Barry Hayles. When he was sold, they pocketed 50% of the profit on his sale of £2.225m, a tidy profit of £1m on their investment. And the fewers are reluctant to question the club over where the money goes for fear of being branded a shyte head. Long may they continue to be fleeced, I say.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Just out of interest where would they of got the money to buy AG?

11 minutes ago, harrys said:

Just out of interest where would they of got the money to buy AG?

I think it was Martin Flook, who was then chairman of BRFC who made the offer to the administrators. What money he had I don't know.

At the time he was blaming BRFC losses on Terry Coopers spending on transfers. 1981-82 - The Pirate revisited (weebly.com) So that would probably mean they'd use the true value of AG to raise a mortgage to buy AG. Or get someone to give them the ground.

8 hours ago, alexukhc said:

I was thinking back to 1982, we go out of business, they take over Ashton Gate, would our supporters started supporting them? what would’ve become of our ground, would they of made the improvements we have? what league would they be in? 

anyway who cares, screw rag ass Roverz

ashton gate would now be a complete hithole surrounded by tents

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

I think it was Martin Flook, who was then chairman of BRFC who made the offer to the administrators. What money he had I don't know.

At the time he was blaming BRFC losses on Terry Coopers spending on transfers. 1981-82 - The Pirate revisited (weebly.com) So that would probably mean they'd use the true value of AG to raise a mortgage to buy AG. Or get someone to give them the ground.

I may well be completely wrong but we weren’t in administration were we ? 

11 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I may well be completely wrong but we weren’t in administration were we ? 

Administers were appointed and new owners sought, but a package from Ken Sage, Derryn Coller and Bob Boyd was accepted. Quite certain of that, perhaps some finer details to that as well. Just looked up company law and, it states that it became legally binding to appoint administrators in 1986 with an act of parliament. BCFC must have appointed them  to act for the shareholders.

Edited by Rich
addition
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

It started the tightening of laws within football, yes. 

Just a thought. If our woes in 1982 were the warning shot to the league to bring in rules regarding admin etc. when our neighbours inevitably visit that dark place it will be something else they can blame us for.

Happy days.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Just a thought. If our woes in 1982 were the warning shot to the league to bring in rules regarding admin etc. when our neighbours inevitably visit that dark place it will be something else they can blame us for.

Happy days.

Always the victims, never to blame.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Redsi2 said:

Another use of the word massive by a rovers player. Are they all brain washed over there.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/massive--bristol-rovers-new-5614219

It was an easy decision to make for him, probably the only offer he had.

He first joined the club as a sixteen year old in 2013.

The season ultimately finished in disappointment as Rovers were relegated out of the Football League for the first time since their admission in 1920. Despite Rovers only ever occupying one of the two relegation places following the final game of the season, the threat of relegation surrounded the club for the entire season.

Sounds like the perfect signing.

Edited by Rich
correction

8 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Every other major city has a working tram system Tom. The one in Manchester uses all the old unused local train lines, is superb, goes to all the towns in the urban spread and it's dirt cheap to use. You don't need to be a rocket science to work out what we need do you?

The underground was a total pipe dream vote catcher, was never going to happen. When he announced it, he reminded me of the 'monorail' bloke on the Simpsons.

Far too expensive and we aren't big enough to need or warrant an underground. 

Get the tram thing going and we might finally have a working transport infrastructure.

As for the Metrobus, it doesn't come anywhere near Barrs so we have to use the car anyway. Another overpriced vanity project. I've heard nobody say anything positive about it.

The Simpsons My Work Here Is Done GIF