IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

2 hours ago, Redsi2 said:

Another use of the word massive by a rovers player. Are they all brain washed over there.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/massive--bristol-rovers-new-5614219

Even the gasheads are embarrassed by it, look at the first 2 comments below.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

I don't think it works the other way. If Rovers disappeared in the early 80s, then I don't think it would have made much difference to City. A few extra fans, but hardly huge numbers. The rugby club would be complete different though!

Agree.

However, had they never joined the league in the first place I do wonder if we’d have done more as a club?

Hopefully they’ll piss off back to non league soon (although I won’t hold my breath). Look at the season we had whilst they were bumming around grounds like Welling and Dover. Their existence is detrimental to football in Bristol. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redsi2 said:

Another use of the word massive by a rovers player. Are they all brain washed over there.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/massive--bristol-rovers-new-5614219

He was probably playing in their fantastic draw against Melksham.

******* huge they are with their tents, plastic chairs and 6k crowds.

12 hours ago, alexukhc said:

I was thinking back to 1982, we go out of business, they take over Ashton Gate, would our supporters started supporting them? what would’ve become of our ground, would they of made the improvements we have? what league would they be in? 

anyway who cares, screw rag ass Roverz

Ashton Gate would now be an Ikea Store (or maybe a Sainsbury's) - 'tis the way we do things. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

This town ain’t big enough for the both of us....and it isn’t City who should have to leave.

Oh they are quite partial to leaving our fair city - but, like an annoying nephew, they keep coming back - they buggered off to Bath and came back, shafting the rugby team in the process - then they tried to manufacture a move out of the city to South Glos - but, as always with them, that new stadium dream collapsed and melted into nothingness - so they stayed - we are lumbered with the small club that tried very hard to steal our stadium when we were at our lowest ebb - never forget ...

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TomF said:

In reality they'll potentially use the way we got out of trouble to save themselves.  While instantaneously never mentioning 1982 ever again.   Just like they don't call SL a tax dodger anymore given that Wael has Rovers holding company setup in Jersey or whatever. 

The biggest irony of all that is that they have always been run by a bunch of charlatans and rogues. I know I have probably posted this before but, as documented in Harry Dolmans book, they scoffed at him before the war for suggesting that thier plan to sell Eastville was short-sighted. They then went ahead and did it anyway during the war when no one was looking. The fact that some of the directors were on both boards was of course, entirely coincidental. 

17 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I may well be completely wrong but we weren’t in administration were we ? 

There was no such thing as administration in football back then, the reason alot of the rules surrounding insolvent football clubs are in place is because of 82 as the situation was unprecedented at the time

19 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

There was no such thing as administration in football back then, the reason alot of the rules surrounding insolvent football clubs are in place is because of 82 as the situation was unprecedented at the time

That’s what thought. Wasn't it the case that a new company was formed & bought out the old one with everything agreed with two minutes left of the deadline. I was 11 at the time but can’t really remember  it . I suppressed it I think as I remember all the football clearly enough 

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

An independent firm was called in to carry out a financial report, they were called administrators in the press briefings, supposedly because the were a Financial Administrative firm. 

Frankly Mr Spencer: Ashton Gate Eight 

Page 3 - The story of Bristol City and Ashton Gate Eight (sportskeeda.com)

I'm probably guilty of using the more up to date term of administration. This firm were negotiating between the old BOD and the prospective buyers. They made recommendations of go bankrupt, do a deal with creditors, or sell to another party.

Interesting quote from Gordon Taylor in this report.: Ashton Gate Eight: How eight players tore up their contracts to save Bristol City - BBC Sport

11 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

The biggest irony of all that is that they have always been run by a bunch of charlatans and rogues. I know I have probably posted this before but, as documented in Harry Dolmans book, they scoffed at him before the war for suggesting that thier plan to sell Eastville was short-sighted. They then went ahead and did it anyway during the war when no one was looking. The fact that some of the directors were on both boards was of course, entirely coincidental. 

Was that before or after Hitler saved them from relegation out of the Football League?

On 05/07/2021 at 19:47, Redsi2 said:

"I’m looking forward to hopefully getting Bristol Rovers back where they belong and even higher"- So back where they belong is non-league and then back up again?

"I’m looking forward to it, but the past is the past and we’re looking to the future now." - Makes no sense at all, he'll fit right in.

6 minutes ago, CiderJar said:

"I’m looking forward to hopefully getting Bristol Rovers back where they belong and even higher"- So back where they belong is non-league and then back up again?

"I’m looking forward to it, but the past is the past and we’re looking to the future now." - Makes no sense at all, he'll fit right in.

I can`t believe the bloke`s come back after being there earlier in his `career`. You`d think once you`d escaped the clutches of the loyal and true once you`d make bloody sure you kept well away in future.

48 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Was that before or after Hitler saved them from relegation out of the Football League?

Never in danger of relegation out of the league. It was a vote of the clubs and even in those days, everyone loved them.

36 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Just booked next year’s holiday in Spain with my mate who owns a villa. During our conversation ( his son is a professional footballer) that rovers (Joey in his words) were the first club to come in for him. Happy to say he has now signed for a club in the north of England. :yes:

Who’d have thought that Jadon Sancho’s dad has a Spanish holiday villa for let?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I can`t believe the bloke`s come back after being there earlier in his `career`. You`d think once you`d escaped the clutches of the loyal and true once you`d make bloody sure you kept well away in future.

Occasionally, something is so bad, that you can't stop yourself going back for a second look - he'll learn eventually. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I see they've signed another no-mark, this time from Palace, Welsh U-21 (well he's Welsh and got a pair of boots) spent time on loan to...........Barry Town....crackin'  !

0_WhatsApp-Image-2021-07-09-at-093607jpe

That expression does not scream "proud to be a gashead" (or even prowed to be a gashead)

More like fear of a career going down the drain

• Like 1