42nite

8 minutes ago, Jersey Bristolian said:

On the BBC Website

Footballer Joey Barton charged with attacking woman

Published
3 minutes ago
Joey BartonIMAGE COPYRIGHTGETTY IMAGES
image captionJoey Barton made more than 250 appearances in the Premier League

Former footballer Joey Barton is due in court charged with attacking and injuring a woman.

The 38-year-old, who manages League One side Bristol City, will appear at Wimbledon Magistrates' Court on Monday 26 July.

He played in the Premier League more than 250 times, for teams including Manchester City and Newcastle United.

He was arrested at an address in Kew on 2 June, bailed pending further enquiries, and subsequently charged.

Ambulance crews were not called to the property where the woman was attacked, police said.

The Metropolitan Police said in a statement: "Joseph Barton, 38, of Widnes, is charged with assault by beating.

"The charge relates to an incident which took place at a residential property in Kew on Wednesday 2 June in which a woman received a head injury".

Glad to see they got their facts right. And people wonder why we question modern journalism ?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

35 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Probably worth bearing in mind that only this summer we also hired a player that was convicted of assaulting a woman...

Correct, the main difference being Danny Simpson is on his 2nd chance, Barton on circa his 6th? But yes I agree there is no point in being pious about it. Too much of that shit on here.

I think a lot of people are getting carried away by the legal terminology here, so just to put a bit of perspective on it, I’m sure a lot of us as kids will have done things like walk up behind a mate and flick their earlobe, or give someone a bit of a shove in the back for “a bit of a laugh”? Well that’s actually enough to qualify as “Assault by beating”. I think everyone needs to calm the **** down and wait to see what happens at court before jumping to conclusions. A lot of people seem to have already written him off as guilty before the case has even been heard or a shred of evidence produced for either side . . .”

You can’t blame Barton he’s just carrying on as usual , his personality and what u get with him is no secret. How Martin Starnes keeps his job is beyond me.”

1 minute ago, Banned User said:

I think a lot of people are getting carried away by the legal terminology here, so just to put a bit of perspective on it, I’m sure a lot of us as kids will have done things like walk up behind a mate and flick their earlobe, or give someone a bit of a shove in the back for “a bit of a laugh”? Well that’s actually enough to qualify as “Assault by beating”. I think everyone needs to calm the **** down and wait to see what happens at court before jumping to conclusions. A lot of people seem to have already written him off as guilty before the case has even been heard or a shred of evidence produced for either side . . .”

You can’t blame Barton he’s just carrying on as usual , his personality and what u get with him is no secret. How Martin Starnes keeps his job is beyond me.”

The only thing he forgot to mention is the CPS doesn’t try and prosecute a flick behind the ear….

Barton is clearly innocent until proven guilty, the only thing I would say is if the victim isn’t cooperating with the Police then the CPS must feel they have very strong evidence to prosecute. Either that or some dick in the CPS wants a “name” on their CV!!

2 hours ago, Banned User said:

It’s a against his wife who’s since been uploading photos of him saying how amazing he is will be thrown out court “she did not phone police “ police obviously saw it was joey Barton and went ahead and charged him because of his previous HE CANT EVEN FART AND THEY TRY TO LOCK HIM UP GIVE THE BLOKE A BREAK INNOCENT TILL PROVEN GUILTY WORRY ABOUT IT THEN

Amazing. The CPS have to apply a threshold test in order to get any case to court (doesn’t guarantee guilt clearly) but “Sister Fiddler Gas” clearly knows it’s a stitch up………..even though he clearly doesn’t realise the CPS not the Police make the decision on charging.

#Gaslogic at its finest.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I suspect that, if he’s found guilty, their club will probably do the right thing and get rid.

Sadly, I can’t say the same about our club after their support of Simpson.

Completely different situations. 

simpson was not a city player when the incident happened, went to court, sentenced, served his ‘sentence’, appears to have turned his life around and several years later signs for city

Barton is the incumbent rovers manager, has a court case hanging over him, has a long history of violence, has allegedly attacked his wife and if found guilty should rightly be sacked

• Like 14

32 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Completely different situations. 

simpson was not a city player when the incident happened, went to court, sentenced, served his ‘sentence’, appears to have turned his life around and several years later signs for city

Barton is the incumbent rovers manager, has a court case hanging over him, has a long history of violence, has allegedly attacked his wife and if found guilty should rightly be sacked

In the same manner that if Danny Simpson laid a hand on his wife again and got convicted at court whilst employed by us he would also get sacked. Seems to be hard for a few to get their head round for some reason.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

In the same manner that if Danny Simpson laid a hand on his wife again and got convicted at court whilst employed by us he would also get sacked. Seems to be hard for a few to get their head round for some reason.

Quite. The usual gas head tactic is to try and deflect anything they do with something we’ve done but looking at their thread, quite rightly, 95% are keeping on point.

Disappointing to then come on our forum to see 1/2 trying to compare what is going on over there with the Simpson situation…..any excuse to have a got at our club it seems

• Like 6
  • Flames 3

1 hour ago, Jersey Bristolian said:

On the BBC Website

Footballer Joey Barton charged with attacking woman

Published
3 minutes ago
Joey BartonIMAGE COPYRIGHTGETTY IMAGES
image captionJoey Barton made more than 250 appearances in the Premier League

Former footballer Joey Barton is due in court charged with attacking and injuring a woman.

The 38-year-old, who manages League One side Bristol City, will appear at Wimbledon Magistrates' Court on Monday 26 July.

He played in the Premier League more than 250 times, for teams including Manchester City and Newcastle United.

He was arrested at an address in Kew on 2 June, bailed pending further enquiries, and subsequently charged.

Ambulance crews were not called to the property where the woman was attacked, police said.

The Metropolitan Police said in a statement: "Joseph Barton, 38, of Widnes, is charged with assault by beating.

"The charge relates to an incident which took place at a residential property in Kew on Wednesday 2 June in which a woman received a head injury".

They’ve corrected it now but that is woeful, inexcusable, lazy journalism - wrong division, wrong football club - not too difficult to get it right in this day and age ... I despair! ?

55 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I suspect that, if he’s found guilty, their club will probably do the right thing and get rid.

Sadly, I can’t say the same about our club after their support of Simpson.

I’m not so sure they will. The fact they haven’t already suspended him suggests to me they can’t afford to sack him/prepare to. 

5 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Quite. The usual gas head tactic is to try and deflect anything they do with something we’ve done but looking at their thread, quite rightly, 95% are keeping on point.

Disappointing to then come on our forum to see 1/2 trying to compare what is going on over there with the Simpson situation…..any excuse to have a got at our club it seems

Yep. I've barely seen any mention of Simpson by their fans but, sure enough, there are more than a few of ours bringing him up in order to slag City off.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

46 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

"IF" There's a difference to "Did", as in repeat offence.

I guees like alot of people maybe I jumped the gun-The questions I guess answer themselves as the players came. The Sun is a rag paper and not worth even reading.

I want JB to succeed 

I read his book "No Nonsense" and get why he had anger control problems.

What will happen if we have a bad start te crowd will turn so thats why i am not sure he should stay-I hope he dose and we get behind him

In a so called male dominated sport-

Premiership Players who played for England in the Euros had sex parties during lockdown-so is this abusing women

Wayne Rooney visited prostitutes-So is this abusing women

What happened between JB and his wife as she said private but someone for whatever reason felt it needed exposure.

With the up and coming Court Case re Stendell it seems very convenient 

I stand by my words, no matter how much stick I’ve taken.

My view are that domestic abuse is unforgivable, particularly for people in the public eye.

Simpson is welcome to a second chance in a non public eye, role. But as a role model for children and others, he shouldn’t be in the privileged position of being paid to play a game for a living.

We could have backed that up by refusing to sign him. We didn’t.

The scenarios are different but comparable. Both clubs had the chance to take a stand, on an issue they’ve supposedly supported before. We didn’t even make a comment for several weeks.

Obviously, if it had happened whilst DS was employed with us, he’d likely be sacked. But, no doubt, many would be on here wanting to give him a second/third chance.

Barton should be sacked and Simpson should be earning his money elsewhere. Not a lot could convince me otherwise, unless DS wants to demonstrate he’s really changed by doing som educational or charity work about his experiences and why DV is wrong. No, didn’t think so.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I stand by my words, no matter how much stick I’ve taken.

My view are that domestic abuse is unforgivable, particularly for people in the public eye.

Simpson is welcome to a second chance in a non public eye, role. But as a role model for children and others, he shouldn’t be in the privileged position of being paid to play a game for a living.

We could have backed that up by refusing to sign him. We didn’t.

The scenarios are different but comparable. Both clubs had the chance to take a stand, on an issue they’ve supposedly supported before. We didn’t even make a comment for several weeks.

Obviously, if it had happened whilst DS was employed with us, he’d likely be sacked. But, no doubt, many would be on here wanting to give him a second/third chance.

Barton should be sacked and Simpson should be earning his money elsewhere. Not a lot could convince me otherwise, unless DS wants to demonstrate he’s really changed by doing som educational or charity work about his experiences and why DV is wrong. No, didn’t think so.

His skill set puts him in a position where he has to be in the public eye to pursue it. 

He could be seen as a good role model because he did something terrible, was punished and took steps to improve himself. There are many young people out there that could learn from that.

Without labouring the point that has been made time and time again, look at those who have supported his return and ask yourself if they are seeing a positive you are missing.

His situation is nothing like Barton's, who appears to be a man either unwilling or unable to change his ways. He also looks for excuses for his behaviour, "he burned my shirt so I used him as an ashtray"! Like that is a commensurate reaction.

I don't know anything about Simpson he may well be doing some charity or educational work, I doubt this would be publicised due to the sensitive nature of the subject both to himself and those who it would be helping. I know of several ex-footballers who have been involved in AA work and with other similar organisations, only because they were on different communication skills courses I ran, I don't remember seeing any other publicity regarding their roles.

I doubt if you will be changing your mind, but I do think the two cases are hugely different, I don't think it's a fair comparison at all.

• Like 5